FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Info on "Hoon"

I read the link above regarding the ride in Mena. I am very interested in this since I am located in northeast Arkansas and should have my '06 FJR by then.

Someone please enlighten me regarding any details on joining this ride. Is this ride in Mena known as "Hoon"? What does "Hoon" stand for?

I am not interested in taking my new FJR offroading, but like the twisties...

Thanks,

too_many_hobbies

·
Registered
737 Posts
Re: Info on "Hoon"

too_many_hobbies said:
Someone please enlighten me regarding any details on joining this ride. Is this ride in Mena known as "Hoon"? What does "Hoon" stand for?

I am not interested in taking my new FJR offroading, but like the twisties...

Thanks,

too_many_hobbies
C'mon, liquid, amain..... jump in there and explain to
"too_many_hobbies" what "HOON" stands for, and what a fun "HOON"
ride/outing is all about. :roll: :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Our annual NoMOSno weekend in Mena has become a gathering of the usual Hoons with sometimes a couple of newcomers. The only requirements to participate are 1) that you are committed to "ride your own ride", in other words, don't get stupid and try to keep up with riders who are faster than you because they are better than you and have ridden these roads many, many times. We don't want you driving off into the ditch or oncoming traffic because you aren't in control of your limitations. We've seen it a couple of times and we don't like it. We REALLY don't like it.

And 2) don't ride off and leave any rider who is directly behind you. This means if you can't see him in your mirror for 2 miles, you should go back for him. If you know he is riding a lot slower than you, wait at the next junction for a minute or so, then go check it out. My home consists of flat, straight roads and although I ride slower than the lead pack, they tell me they rarely have to wait longer than about a minute for me to catch up when they stop at the next turn. Knowing this helps me ride more at ease because I don't feel abandoned just because I don't see anyone in front of me. I know if I should get stupid in a ditch somewhere it will only be 2 or 3 minutes before I hear help coming. No man is ever left behind.

Hope it doesn't sound like we leave wreckage all across Arkansas on these rides because we don't. In fact, the 3 previous NoMoSno rides have a 100% survival rate. But the Arkansas roads are challenging and some of our other rides have turned into anecdotes about riders bouncing off rocks and guard rails, low-siding, and impromptu motocrossing. One guy passed on a hill and took to the far-side ditch to avoid an oncoming Suburban. His resultant collarbone surgery caused him to have a stroke and he spent most of a year off work recovering. And if he had just waited about 1 mile to pass, there was a flat straight-away about 3 miles long. I'm not trying to scare you, just stress that you need to ride your own ride and that we don't want you to be that guy.

It also helps if you chip in for beer and pizza and can tell an entertaining lie with a straight face at the evening bench racing sessions. So if you still want to join in the fun, just make your reservations at the Harvey House and we'll see you there! We're a good bunch of guys and once you get past the whole "I met these guys on the internet and I'm not even gay" thing, you'll be glad you came. :crylarf:

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Amain, perfection in the explanation.

If Wayne isn't going to chime in on the word "hoon", I'll just say I believe it is a contraction of the word "hooligan." All further clarificaton welcome. :wink:

I don't know if that fits but it probably does since we're all old.

·
Registered
7,358 Posts
No, that's the HuBuCks... and we don't invite them anymore. :p

We also do some 'invitation only' rides, in the interests of keeping body counts down.

:)

·
Registered
426 Posts
News Flash! I just bought a used Corbin for my Bi-Hummer*. Just one more step in preparation for the trip to Mena.

* Another name for my V-Strom, not a sex act performed on certain mutant billy goats. Sherlock will probably disagree, however, and have several pictures to prove it. :shock:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Dang, it's hard to tell from this thread whether newcomers are tolerated or frowned upon. It's clear that they're not encouraged, nor do they appear to be prohibited, so at least the two extremes aren't in question. :roll: It's only the middle ground that's up in the air.

:|

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
We try to ride in pods of around four or five riders. Some are faster than others but as has been said before, ride your own pace and you'll know which pod you belong in. The riders in front always wait for the last ones to arrive and the wait is never more than minutes or seconds depending on the trip leg. After the ride, we usually only shoot up a place one night so if you live in Arkansas, you can usually repair your reputation before the next year's event.

·
Registered
7,358 Posts
You're invited dbx. Come on. We're nice. Just ask us. :wink:

We ride a nice, but fairly swift pace in the straights, and try to not slow down for the curves, that's all.

If you can RIDE YOUR OWN RIDE, without getting red in the face if you're slower or faster than the guys around you, we want you along. :mrgreen:

If you're not quite keeping up with the graybeard in front of you... and you start getting uptight about it... and start endangering yourself, we DON'T want you along. :|

Slower guys are totally welcome, as long as they don't mind riding THEIR OWN PACE on the ride, and don't get self conscious if the gang is waiting for you at the next intersection. WE DON'T MIND! We're old and need the rest. WE DON'T WANT to have to go back looking for you, which ruins the day for everyone.

If you're the fastest rider on the planet, just try to enjoy the scenery. Someday we'll get a track day together, and you can show us just how fast you are. :wink:

We ride with about 100 yards between us. If you like doing the 'Ponch&John,' we're not going to enjoy it. A good buddy of mine started having a bit too much fun crawling up my armpits in a twisty section, right until the point a truck and trailer completely blocked a hairpin in front of me. When I quick-stopped, the poor fella could've rear-ended the heck out of me, but chose to bang his FJR on the guardrail instead.

Each rider is ONLY responsible for himself, and to have seen the guy behind him, recently. The route will be well discussed, and if you have to stop the ride, the person in front of you needs to know you're leaving the ride, or we'll be calling the National Guard trying to find your ghost.

More Background: One guy came out, and couldn't believe there were lunatics in the world that exceeded the speed limit on a motorcycle with saddlebags. He went away so scorned, I almost worried that he was going to phone in a police complaint on us.

Another fellow, nice guy, figured he didn't have to think about riding, because he was just following the guy in front, had a near head-on with a Suburban. We don't want that, either.

So, if you like sport-touring, and nothing in the aforementioned has your hair standing up... I guarantee you, this is one of the nicest bunches you'll ever wanna meet.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks, Liquidsilver. None of that raises the hair on my neck, at least not in a bad way. Thanks for clarifying. You guys don't scare me, well some of you do, :wink: , but my main concern was to not be someplace where I wasn't invited. Sounds like it's all good. 8)

That doesn't mean I'm in just yet. I have a few things to work out first, like getting the new rear tire mounted, getting the Audiovox CC installed, new fatter grips, maybe grip heaters, and who knows, maybe the group buy on heated jacket liners will even come through in time, meaning the Heat-Troller should really be installed too... It never ends.

Thanks again,
dbx

·
Registered
131 Posts
Liquidsilver...sounds like you should have all newbies read & memorize "THE PACE" before you allow them to ride with you...it could keep the body count down :lol: ...just a thought :?

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Mike-H said:
Liquidsilver...sounds like you should have all newbies read & memorize "THE PACE" before you allow them to ride with you...it could keep the body count down :lol: ...just a thought :?
That's almost assumed. I believe we even posted that prior to this ride's inaugural run. Or maybe it was after the Hoons in Heber crash fest. Regardless, anyone who doesn't know the pace should avail themselves.

·
Registered
7,358 Posts
"The Pace" is great, but doesn't really address many of the 'group dynamics' that show up on group rides.

One thing I've found that really helps is keeping the straightaway speed down, no more than about 75. Then riders that are slower in the curves have less trouble keeping up, because they can more easily reel in the riders going faster in the curves. Also lowers the chances of meeting LEOs.

The unnecessary urge to 'keep up' is the biggest problem.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts