FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK Guys, I'd like to hear from some of you - in the know - about extended warranties.

D&H Cycle is selling Yamaha Y.E.S. warranties for like $389 for 48month policy.

When I presented this to my California dealer, they said they could match it with a policy from First Extended Service Corporation.

Can't find a copy of the Yamaha contract on the web so I'm waiting for them to send me one to look at and compare to this policy my dealer is selling me.

Does anyone out there have experiance with these policies?

Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
That seems to be a very interesting question,in that several dearlers gave me diferent quotes. from 399-1000 dollar VIP plan. I have read online that some have paid 298 dollars for a four year extended, As I was advised work it into your deal,at frist. I am paying 399 dollars for a 2 year.oh well. I bought from a dealer that sells only a couple a year, they are close tomy house so what the heck, these days it takes alot to open the doors. From Irish Hills Michigan good luck, PS dealer called this am bike in chicago,should have next week hope so. Ride safe , thanks to this informative forum.

·
Super Moderator
3,944 Posts
Do *not* go with a 3rd party extended warranty. This has been discussed in the past. 3rd party warranties aren't always honored by anyone other than the selling dealership. Even then there are cases where the selling dealership quit honoring them when the underwriters quit paying promptly. A factory extended warranty will be honored by all dealership franchises of that factory under terms of their agreements with the factory. That means if you have problems out on a trip, you won't be faced with a fly-by-night contract that no one recognizes.

The reason so many dealerships push 3rd party warranties is because they tend to have a higher mark up. When you consider the 100%+ markup of the YES (when sold at list price) that should tell you something.

A YES from Yamaha is YES from your local dealership is a YES from D&H Cycles ($389 for +48 months) or any other dealership. Yamaha sells the YES like any other product to their dealers at a given price. They then publish a suggested retail price. They can't force dealerships to use that high of a mark up or they could be charged with price fixing. A dealership can decide how much profit they need to make on the sale of each YES and you can shop around for the price you can live with.

Unless you live in Florida. In that case, your state has passed laws that prevent you from shopping around outside the state.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I have bought the YES on my Yamahas and have been very happy with the coverage...the shop where I work sells 3 different brands of warranty and the YES is the best coverage.....no questions on any repairs when called in for authorization....I negotiated the price on the YES when I bought....

·
Registered
62 Posts
I don't know about Yamaha, but I do know about Ford in the US. If you get a "Ford" extended warrantee, in most cases, you are covered at any Ford dealer without taking money out of your pocket. On questionable things , you may have to pay up front.

On 3rd party warrantees, you pay out of your pocket, then submit the bills to the warrantee company. Hopefully you get paid.

- Will -

1 - 5 of 5 Posts