FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of adding Sirius radio on my FJR. Was wondering if anyone on the board has done it and has any pics/tips.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Sirius

CZ,
I don't have any pictures but can describe my installation:
I have a Softline intercom on my 2004. It's mounted in the glovebox & wired through a hole in the bottom of the box. The Sirius "Visor" is mounted on the left "A" panel next to the glovebox on it's dashboard mount bracket. I have it angled up so I can see the display. A small Ziploc baggie can cover it in the rain.The connecting cables are run under the edge of the glovebox cover.
The cables are run under the left lower fairing.
The antenna is velcroed to my luggage rack & can be moved to the trunk when used.
Mounting the intercom & Sirius up front circumvents any access, wiring & noise problems that will happen if mounted under the seat (BTDT).

dobias

·
Registered
40 Posts
Sirius

CZ,
I thought of velcroing the Sirius to the Fairing but wanted it "aimed" up so I could read the dial while riding. Also, anywhere else but close to the glovebox would have meant extra cabling. You may want to bend a piece of aluminum to hold the Sirius at the right angle to see & velcro it to the panel "A". If the Sirius bracket gives me any trouble, that's what I intend to do.

dobias

·
Registered
60 Posts
Anyone ever try to use the stand from the home kit? I was thinking that the little hole on the bottom might be expanded so that one of the screws from the fairing would go through.

·
Super Moderator
3,954 Posts
Yep. Put mine in my powered tank bag when I choose to run it instead of my MP3 player (which is most of the time these days).

Tank bag supports, MP3/Sirius, AA battery charger for flashlight, GPS, MP3 player, etc. (NiMH AA's), phone charger, MixIt external power, etc.

Run the antenna up to the FJRGoodies ECM shelf.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow Bounce,

You sure have a lot of electronics on that FJR!!!!! How do you keep your eyes on the road with all that stuff?????

I like the mounting stud for the Sirius radio. Nice, neat, simple.

Also like your GPM. Im pretty sure I'll be going with Garmin.

Trying to figure how to intergrate everything. Right now, the cell phone, and the radio. GPS will come later.

Any suggestions on speakers that would work for phone and radio?

Regards, CZ

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow Bounce,

You sure have a lot of electronics on that FJR!!!!! How do you keep your eyes on the road with all that stuff?????

Trying to figure how to intergrate everything. Right now, the cell phone, and the radio. GPS will come later.

Regards, CZ

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Florida,, Sorry I mixed up the bikes.

That is a neat ans simple mount for the radio.

Does vibration "get" to the radio since its a pretty soild mount?

Regards,
CZ

·
Super Moderator
3,954 Posts
czguybilly said:
Wow Bounce, You sure have a lot of electronics on that FJR!!!!! How do you keep your eyes on the road with all that stuff?
Audio piped into the helmet via a MixIt in the tank bag. I hear GPS and V1 alerts and can then choose to look when time permits. The ECM Chelf means that the only items needing attention (GPS and V1) are line-of-site with the road.

GPS? Garmin has a long track record of high quality customer service.

I don't have a phone interfaced. I do run a Honda/Clarion CB/Intercom though. When not using that, I pipe all audio through the MixIt and then into my ear monitors. When using the Radio, I pipe the MixIt output to the Aux Audio in of the Honda/Clarion and can then adjust master volume from the control pod on the L handle bar.

Nope. I don't do phones on the move. A personal choice after watching phone users in cages.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Fujartoptourer,

"1. What is SIRIUS?
SIRIUS is a service offering over 125 channels of satellite radio featuring digital-quality music, sports, news and entertainment programming when and where you want it. We use three satellites to broadcast over 125 channels of satellite radio to listeners throughout the continental US. "

Sorry, Fu, it only works for us 'muricans & some Canucks.

dobias

·
Registered
52 Posts
Sirius

Appreciate the info dobias - guess I'm just goin to have to look and see if we have something similar over here! Shame, coz its a real nice lookin compact unit!

Thanks again, regards, Glenn. 8)

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
Autocom equipment supports phone and stereo audio. It works very seemlessly. I turn on the 'auto-answer' feature of my phone, and when a distressed babysitter calls, wifey tells her where to find the belt. ;)

People that have called us comment that we don't sound like we're on a bike.

All that said, we only hook up the phone if we're way out, on a long trip. For most of my rides, I prefer just the sound of the engine through earplugs. :D

:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a rubber washer between bolt holding the Sirius factory mount on. Virbration is there but as minimal as you can get via connection to the handlebar.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just mounted a XM unit on my bike and it is great to listen to. No more stations fading out as I ride around. I purchased the standard unit and pared it with a unit XM sells to make it run of a battery cradle kinda like a walkman. It even came with headphones and a antenna built into the top of them. XM sells a motorcycle mount for the unit that mounts on top of the brake reservoir using the existing screw holes with longer screws. I connect this to my autocom and it sounds great. I didn't want to run another power line to this unit thats why I opted for this battery cradle to power the XM unit. Sirus may or may not have similar products.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts