FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I'm about to buy a 2002 model FRJ1300. The bike is beautiful and driven only 6000 km! Is there any special items to check or known problems in this year model? :?
Regards,
-Peku

·
Registered
361 Posts
Yeh look out for a disconnected speedometer on that particular bike!!!

I think I have walked further than 6000Km's since 2002 :lol:
(maybe the last owner has "clocked it" :?
How come the bike has done so very few Km's....sound like it has been in storage. I would check for a few things if it has been on blocks;

* rust in the fuel tank (Microbiological corrosion) from sitting,
* perished rubber seals (leaks in general),
* rust on the suspension components,
* general condition of exhaust system (rusty header pipes), and
* disconnected speedometer.

If it is all good......."Buy the bloody thing and treat it like it should have been"..."Ride it"!!!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hi and welcome.

I'm no expert, I only got 6months experience as a FJR rider myself. But I have noticed some very severe inherent problems with it.

You will notice that your helmet will become to small, your friends getting upset about never getting hold of you, your missus leaving you (together with the kids), you loosing your job and some weight.

In short, the grin factor is at max and you do want to take the 1000km "shortcut" on your way home :lol:

On a more serious note, the only major thing I found is that the OE suspension is too weak. especially if ridden 2 up.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Nothing particular to that year, but current experience seems to show that with FJR's of that age, if it hasn't been regularly ridden then the original battery may well need replacing, even if it's been kept charged with some sort of battery tender. At only 6000 km on the clock its got to have spent a fair bit of time laid up.

·
Registered
169 Posts
peryha said:
Hi,
I'm about to buy a 2002 model FRJ1300. The bike is beautiful and driven only 6000 km! Is there any special items to check or known problems in this year model? :?
Regards,
-Peku
....There is a major flaw in the valve train...BE CAREFULL!!! :twisted:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts