FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My garage door is getting a bit of wet rot at the base is there anything that can be done to stop this or at lest slow it down :?:

·
Registered
119 Posts
Depending on the extent of the damage, you may be able to cut away the damaged area. Best to dress it up by making a straight cut all the way across the bottom of the door.
If it's only 1-2 inches (<10cm), you should be able to obtain a rubber threshold to place on the garage floor, and another bit of weather stripping for the bottom of the door, that will make up the difference.
If it's more extensive, you will need to cut away the damage (use nice square cuts, even though they take away some good material as well; much easier to work with), and fit new wood (pressure treated of course) (glue, clamps, screws; or glue, clamps, pretty jointery).
Either way, finish the job with 3-4 coats of your favorite outdoor wood covering (paint, varnish, etc.) and rubber threshold & weather strip (to reduce soaking the bottom of the door in water).
:!: DANGER
:!: Garage door springs are EVIL !!
:!: They will hurt you if you do not exercise EXTREME caution.
I just mention it because it will be easiest to work on the door after you remove the damaged panel, and traditionally the springs are attached to the bottom panel

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Wess,
Good strait forward informed infomation.

as for Daftlad
:wink:

·
Registered
191 Posts
Woody - save yourself a ton of time and grief. It's damn near impossible to kill off all the bacteria that are eating your wood (aka Rot). Plus, the rails on the panel (horizontal pieces) are structural, and you may collapse the door when open if you cut chunks out of it. Shop around and find someone who will replace the bottom panel completely. The top three are probably in fine shape, so why replace them?

And get someone qualified to work on the door. You can break your arm or worse messing with the coiled spring!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Don't fret lads - its not an up 'n' over door so woody's in no danger of getting whacked by the spring.

Rather more worried about the damage inflicted to his wallet methinks.

Woody thats not nice is it?

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Barsteward, But the trouble is that your right :!: :D
I'm almost an Doncastrian eh Mark :lol:

Yeh they are 4 separate wooden doors about 18 feet wide in total so taking them off is a bit daunting.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Four panel door... Two, two panel doors? Carriage house type?

Zane has it right. The bottom member of the door is structural, and it will take a bit of work to repair/replace properly. 'Course I'd do it just to figure out how they did the thing the first time... but I'm like that.
If the door works on hinges instead of lifting away, rubber on rubber contact along the bottom will make motion a bit difficult.
Make sure you have the money for a new door panel before you start. That way if things don't work out quite right, you aren't left with a hole. In the interim, you still have a slightly rotted panel there.
Whilst saving pennies for the new door, perhaps wrapping the bottom with sheet metal?

C'mon Zane, It's nothing he can't fix with a hand saw and some paint. :lol:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Wess is right....cheapest by far is sheet metal....I'll fly over and do it for ya for $15,878.09..... :shock: .....thats 10 bucks plus expenses :oops:

·
Registered
191 Posts
I didn't pay attention to his location before replying, and must admit that I have no direct experience with European rot. Does it eat from the top down or the bottom up? Gravity still works the same, mostly - right? If he cuts the bottom off with a handsaw can he save the sawdust for the patch?

See, told ya it was easy! :lol:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.