FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!

When you come to a stop at a red light what type of rider are you?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2003 FJR1300R / 2007 Husq SMR 510
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you come to a stop at a red light what type of rider are you? (Three selections per person available)

·
Registered
2014 FJR 2003 ZRX1200
51 Posts
I needed to pick 5. Sometimes do different things as the situation requires.

Most of the time I'll put my left foot down and pull the clutch in. I'll use either the rear or front brake. If it is a know long light or train crossing I'll shift to neutral. I also am towards either the right or left rear of the car in front of me (escape route) checking my rearview for approaching traffic that is hopefully slowing down

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
9,764 Posts
Stop back from the guy in front to allow escape route, or move to the front.... will shift to neutral so I don't have to hold the clutch..... activate the brakes a couple of times if sitting so driver's behind notice something different..... once a guy stopped behind me I don't worry about it.....

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR1300A
1,522 Posts
Lot of it depends questions.
2 feet down always
Clutch in most of the time, in neutral for really long waits
Front brake until someone is stopped behind me, then no brakes.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
I stop about one car length behind the vehicle in front of me, two feet down, front brake on, then watch my 6 to see if the vehicle behind me sees me and looks like they will stop in time.
Then I creep up closer to the vehicle in front of me. If it's a long light, I shift to neutral and then balance on my right foot with my left foot ready to engage first gear.

Reactions: StreamRider

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
What Ray and Oldjeep said. (y)

Reactions: Benhameen

·
Registered
12 Posts
Left of center for visibility (and to keep my left foot clean)
Visor cracked or opened, chicks dig my pretty mug
Rear brake for stability
What's a clutch lever?

·
Registered
2003 FJR1300R / 2007 Husq SMR 510
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Love seeing the diversity in these polls and how each person uses their machine! Also very cool that nobody flames others for how they ride (or stop) preaching their personal expertise. Keep em coming!

Side Note: Answers should just be like a "usually I would..." sort of thing. If I am at a light that just turned red and I know it's a long one obviously I am going to rest my hand and stand up or adjust my pants. Also these are just for fun and are not being used for any sort of survey or metadata, just curious to see the different styles of an obviously more experienced group of riders. Thanks.

·
Registered
'18 GL1800 Goldwing, '98 Shadow VT1100T, '16 FJR 1300 (Sold)
179 Posts
StreamRider - I agree with you. I like how others are just putting what they do, and dont bash anyone for their answers.

I'm with others.. it depends on alot. did the light just turn? will it be turning shortly after I arrive, is it a busy intersection that may / may not have cars behind me. I'd pick all but the last one, if I was being honest.. I dont really think I put a specific foot down each time, or do or dont use N.. part of that depends on how long I'll have to hold the clutch in, and or how long I've been riding and been having to pull the clutch in

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Left foot down, clutch in, 1st gear, rear brake applied often pumping it to flash the brake light hoping it'll help visibility.

However, if it's a long wait, and I've got someone behind me I'll usually shift to neutral and rest the clutch hand.

It' is a really long wait like a traffic tie up for a wreck or something I'll sometimes kill the engine and get off and walk around. :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
This poll is pretty cool, gotta admit. Pretty much with most. Def keep front brake pulled in and in gear, until someone stops safely behind me. Interesting, this is one of the things they taught us in the advanced rider safety course. Stay in 1st gear, ready to move/escape. Pretty sure most riders can tell, when they pull up to a light, where the pattern is and about how long to expect to be stopped, with regards to neutral/1st gear. But I have found different state's lights operate different, with regards to turn arrows. Heck, even in my town, some lights operate differently.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts