FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2021 FJR
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In case you missed it, the Beartooth Highway is again closed as is the entirety of Yellowstone Park. The town of Red Lodge, MT, at the foot of the highway is experiencing heavy flooding. Many road closures and washed out bridges in the region.

Area information is found here:

Traveler Information | Montana Department of Transportation (MDT)

• Wow
Reactions: Squawk7700

·
Premium Member
2008 FJR/AE
179 Posts
If there is any highlight to he taken from the mess over there right now, is that Beartooth will likely open back up. Perhaps both sides. If Yellowstone remains closed, as expected, it may drastically reduce the number of cages. It could be great for those of us that don't mind going up and over, then back... again... and again... and again...

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
10,764 Posts
Keeping an eye on it, I'll be there on the 29th..... hope things get cleaned up by then. Wasn't going to Jellystone anyway.... just staying in Red lodge for a couple of nights.

Reactions: Griff557

·
Registered
914 Posts
If I wasn't headed through a heat wave to get to a flood I'd be more inclined to go as planned. Forecast for next week shows temps of 100 most the way out there. I don't mind some rain but I hate heat.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
If I wasn't headed through a heat wave to get to a flood I'd be more inclined to go as planned. Forecast for next week shows temps of 100 most the way out there. I don't mind some rain but I hate heat.
yea next week doesn't look like a good time to head that way.

Im going to head out in Sept and maybe the roads/bridges will be fixed and the crowds will be gone

·
Registered
2021 FJR
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Im going to head out in Sept and maybe the roads/bridges will be fixed and the crowds will be gone
September is great time to do the Beartooth and Yellowstone. However, the Park says that north road from Cooke City to Gardiner will likely be closed all year. I rode that route last September and wrote it up on my blog here:

Beartooth Pass and Yellowstone Park

My guess is that the Beartooth Highway will be open sooner than later and even if the Park is not, there is always the Beartooth/Chief Joseph loop which is fantastic. Here’s my write up on that:

Chief Joseph and the Beartooth Again

Reactions: FJRChuck

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
September is great time to do the Beartooth and Yellowstone. However, the Park says that north road from Cooke City to Gardiner will likely be closed all year. I rode that route last September and wrote it up on my blog here:

Beartooth Pass and Yellowstone Park

My guess is that the Beartooth Highway will be open sooner than later and even if the Park is not, there is always the Beartooth/Chief Joseph loop which is fantastic. Here’s my write up on that:

Chief Joseph and the Beartooth Again
Yea my wife and I have ridden Beartooth Pass, Chief Joseph Pass and Yellowstone as well as Glacier and Going to Sun Rd, Rt 12 Lolo Pass, and Rattlesnake Grade in Washington/Oregon etc on our ST 1300. Its was a great adventure.

As close as we were though, we somehow missed going to the Tetons, so we are planning remedy that this fall, plus hit Wind Cave Natl Park which we missed when we were in the Badlands last fall....doh! Rode right past the turn off to it. Unfortunately we will not be on a bike this time as my wife has given up riding. So we will be taking her Mustang convertible so at least it will be open air. No leaning though lol.

Its crazy the amount of damage to Yellowstone due to flooding recently, plus this crazy heatwave.

Im headed to North Dakota on my CB 1100 and hope its a little cooler up there.

Donk the UP is a great idea, I love riding up there. Its like another planet lol. Have a fun, safe trip.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I left today from Arizona and heading that way, as I had a trip planned there for awile. Same situation here with the heat and fires in the Flagstaff area. We'll visit Jackson Hole and Tetons but probably miss Yellowstone. We'll keep fingers crossed for the pass to open early next week.
My buddy and I were ready to hit the road as he has a new bike and my FJR is recently serviced so we're going anyway. The cooler weather and moisture sounds good when you're coming from the parched southwest. Mark

·
Registered
914 Posts
the Ferret meet me in the U P! There's a place called Gram's Pasties in Esconaba. I'll be there late Wednesday morning on the 22d.

·
Registered
183 Posts
the Ferret always offers good advice. I pulled the plug on the trip today. Going to the U P, Duluth, and maybe International Falls instead.
Take 61 north out Duluth (Iam 80 miles west -Grand Rapids) you can either turn at Silver Bay or go up a bit farther to Hwy 1 both will take you to Ely then you can work your to I Falls…not much to see or do there -lots of swamp
and Mosquitoes. I would assume if you’re going to UP you’ll go to Copper Harbor

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
10,764 Posts
I received an email from the Red Lodge Inn, they have no phones, but email.... they informed me my reservation (and all others June 13 onwards) have been cancelled for the forseeable future. This isn't looking good.... I'm feeling more sorry for my buddy Dean who has never been there, while I have been there a few times.....

• Sad
Reactions: the Ferret

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
the Ferret meet me in the U P! There's a place called Gram's Pasties in Esconaba. I'll be there late Wednesday morning on the 22d.
Wish I could Donk, leaving on the 24th for North Dakota headed west to Indiana to pick up a riding buddy there, then north to Wisconsin to pick up 2 more riding buddies there, then headed to Fargo.

·
Registered
2021 FJR
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
FYI, the Chief Joseph is open from Wyoming to Cooke City. A friend just drove that yesterday to check on his cabin. The Chief Joseph is a fantastic ride. For those headed this way, you might consider using Cody as a base and do an out and back on the Chief Joseph and then, also from Cody, take Hwy 14 across the Bighorn Mountains to Dayton, WY. If you are interested in history, the Little Big Horn Battlefield is a relatively short ride north of there.

Reactions: the Ferret

·
Registered
914 Posts
Wish I could Donk, leaving on the 24th for North Dakota headed west to Indiana to pick up a riding buddy there, then north to Wisconsin to pick up 2 more riding buddies there, then headed to Fargo.
You know where to find me if you need anything. I should be back from the UP by Sat 6/25

·
Registered
2021 FJR
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You know where to find me if you need anything. I should be back from the UP by Sat 6/25
If you have the chance, be sure to ride across the Mackinac Bridge. I did last summer. Whoa!!! Metal grid and crosswinds. All for $4.

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
10,764 Posts
FYI, the Chief Joseph is open from Wyoming to Cooke City. A friend just drove that yesterday to check on his cabin. The Chief Joseph is a fantastic ride. For those headed this way, you might consider using Cody as a base and do an out and back on the Chief Joseph and then, also from Cody, take Hwy 14 across the Bighorn Mountains to Dayton, WY. If you are interested in history, the Little Big Horn Battlefield is a relatively short ride north of there.
That's my plan B..... going down Cody way and coming in Chief Joseph... the question is can one duck up onto the Beartooth and how far.....?? I'm just keeping an eye on it, will check in with WY and MT gov. sites once in a while.

·
Registered
914 Posts
If you have the chance, be sure to ride across the Mackinac Bridge. I did last summer. Whoa!!! Metal grid and crosswinds. All for $4.
I've done it several times. Last year I was on the bridge at sunrise and that was wicked cool. There have been a few times coming back from the east coast that I've decided to go up and around to avoid Chicago traffic. 800 mile detour and worth it every time.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts