FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
I follow the basic rule of if you have to ask….it’s time, replace it. It isn’t worth the risk to the bike and/or you. Squeezing a little more out of it is more for toothpaste or fuel levels. Not for something your life could easily depend on.

With that said, I have seen far worse and they still ride, but not next to or in front of me lol

·
Registered
200 Posts
I don't think it gets any worse then these... last layer exposed, you can almost "SEE THE AIR inside the tire" 😂 :oops::rolleyes:
View attachment 85391
Yeah I saw that when it first posted lol That guy needs to have his bike taken away until he can demonstrate a bit better common sense ;)

Reactions: Whooshka

·
Registered
2006 FJR1300
12 Posts
Glad to hear that! I am glad that you and your bike are safe and sound after today's ride. - Please don't push your luck this far again (for your - and other people's safety). New tires cost MUCH less than hospital and/or bike repair bills, or even being sued by someone for damages (not too likely, but also not impossible).

·
Registered
2003 FJR1300R / 2007 Husq SMR 510
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
Glad to hear that! I am glad that you and your bike are safe and sound after today's ride. - Please don't push your luck this far again (for your - and other people's safety). New tires cost MUCH less than hospital and/or bike repair bills, or even being sued by someone for damages (not too likely, but also not impossible).
Don't get too exited, if the rain holds off I am going to push it another 200 miles before the tire shows up. If it comes in Monday (as opposed to projected date) I will be mounting it and wearing it fully in Mon-Tuesday.
Font Rectangle Circle Magenta Logo

My arms are long enough to touch it.
I am a different age and a different mentality then a lot of you (which is fucking cool as I like older people more then the morons dancing on TikTok) and I am also not as well-to-do. I have to make do with what I have and I am not going to "take a day off". I know it could be my last and although I don't want it to be I am confident from what I have seen that a lot of internet know-it-all types (not on this site) want to do the same as the MSM and instill fear. If I can ride I will ride, I have amazing attorneys on retainer (why I have little money) and they will do their job and I will do mine.

Edit: The saddest thing about the internet is the influx of the younger generations. I have been connected since 15k baud modems and have been communicating even before AOL Online and CompuServe. The kids are ruining what we have built. Instead of factual information we are being overwhelmed with negativity posts and meme-culture bullshit. It's hard to find a positive post or response to anything these days regarding any question online. TikTok and Insagram culture has made "haters" want to challenge anyone from their smartphone or basement and talk out of their ass about things they know nothing about. People believe them. Keep this place sacred MODS. Please.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
You should have ordered two F tires and maybe at least one (or two) R tire, so you don't get into the same predicament next time 🤔 ... sometimes you may get some discount and free shipping when buying bulk, and especially now with delayed delivery and product shortages.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Automotive design

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
You should have ordered two F tires and maybe at least one (or two) R tire, so you don't get into the same predicament next time 🤔 ... sometimes you may get some discount and free shipping when buying bulk, and especially now with delayed delivery and product shortages.
View attachment 85423
I don’t plan on having to replace a rear tire this season or next. ;) But there was a deal if you buy both and I could have bought the pair and sold the rear on Marketplace for a slight profit.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Locking hubs

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I am furious right now. The PO must have turned the rim around the wrong way when he replaced the tire last got mixed up and put the 2 bearing spacers in wrong to account for the wheel being around the wrong way. It was about 70% when I got it but I noticed today when removing it the tire was in the wrong direction. Though to myself "at least I didn't ride in the rain when I DID have tread. I assumed it was just the tire on wrong and maybe he did it with his own spoons. So then I had my guy slap the Pirelli on there and he owns many bikes and is a really great guy (doesn't even charge me) and I get back to re-assemble everything. I noticed that the right side caliper goes on very easy even though I put new pads on it two days ago but I literally have not even pulled the front brake lever since this post was made. I go over to the left side of the bike and the calipers are not having it. I get out the big ole flathead and give the pistons a push in and they go on...with a little bit of a fight and I figure "well when I load the brakes back up they should even out.

Nope.

So I look at the front of the bike and the tire is sitting off to the left and not in center. I now have to jack the front up and take take it all apart again just to change the two wheel bearing collars because this idiot does not know which way a rim and tire go. Everything I get into something that the PO should have at least referenced the internet/YouTube or even a service manual there is some little piece of the puzzle wrong. I am glad that the original owner had all his service records out to 45k and this ass-hat only had it for 10k.

I love a project and I love learning to work on all sorts of bikes but when the previous monkey doesn't know his wrenches things get annoying. As soon as it stops with the torrential downpour's and lightning (bikes covered and dry but the ground gets wet and splashes) and I have a beer or two I am going to go fix this guys boo-boo's.

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR1300A
2,193 Posts
You can turn the rim the wrong way? That surprises me, even on a bike with no ABS sensor.
I assume you have checked the rotation marks on the wheel? (Assuming a Gen 1 has them)

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I really should have learned my lesson from my fun with the rear drive... I should have just looked at the parts fiche and made sure.
Automotive design Font Parallel Circle Auto part

Blatantly two completely different collars of two different sizes and they were backwards. I also found a washer and a circular bearing washer in-between part 10 collar and the fork. Not on the fiche, not on my bike.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 · (Edited)
You can turn the rim the wrong way? That surprises me, even on a bike with no ABS sensor.
I assume you have checked the rotation marks on the wheel? (Assuming a Gen 1 has them)
I am not 100% sure but the way it is sitting is wrong. For all intents and purposes the parts 9 and 10 were swapped and his tire was around the other (wrong) way. It was sitting center before but now that the rim is around the other way and the parts are all back in exactly like they were it is off center.

SO my theory is that when the wheel is set the way the diagram shows parts 9-10 should be the correct way to keep the rim on center and the calipers on center of the rotors. The way he had it worked fine but it was backwards. I will be finishing this tonight 🤞so I will update how she goes. Shouldn't be too hard.

EDIT: It has to be single direction if the bearings 3 and the oil seal 4 are identical/interchangeable. The spacer sits between them at center so 9 and 10 being different sizez must make up for the hub.

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR1300A
2,193 Posts
I am not 100% sure but the way it is sitting is wrong. For all intents and purposes the parts 9 and 10 were swapped and his tire was around the other (wrong) way. It was sitting center before but now that the rim is around the other way and the parts are all back in exactly like they were it is off center.

SO my theory is that when the wheel is set the way the diagram shows parts 9-10 should be the correct way to keep the rim on center and the calipers on center of the rotors. The way he had it worked fine but it was backwards. I will be finishing this tonight 🤞so I will update how she goes. Shouldn't be too hard.

EDIT: It has to be single direction if the bearings 3 and the oil seal 4 are identical/interchangeable. The spacer sits between them at center so 9 and 10 being different sizez must make up for the hub.
Should be some arrows on the wheel somewhere indicating rotation. If not then just take a look at some photos online of 2003 bikes. Valve stem to spoke location might be a clue since it does not appear to be centered.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Should be some arrows on the wheel somewhere indicating rotation. If not then just take a look at some photos online of 2003 bikes. Valve stem to spoke location might be a clue since it does not appear to be centered.
It is obviously one directional when you get right down into there and look at it. Either side of the "hub" is different looking where the rotor comes in. I put everything back to the spec and she went together like peas and carrots. What a relief. I'll go grab a couple pictures in case any newer guys that like riding "older ladies" has a front wheel issue.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
this is the right front side (left when looking at the bike head on) the side the small collar is supposed to go on.
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Locking hubs

and this is the left side (right when looking at the bike head on) the side the longer collar is supposed to go on.

Wheel Automotive tire Alloy wheel Automotive design Tire

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I also found these two on the left side like I said before and unless someone far more knowing then me says to put them back they can stay out as I haven’t found them anywhere on the diagrams.
Ruler Office ruler Wood Font Rectangle

21 - 40 of 49 Posts