FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
You'll be fine for a few more miles, on dry roads.

Haynes

Reactions: StreamRider

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
Since most flats happen to the rear tire, you should be okay as long as you ride with the front tire leading the way! :whistle:

·
Registered
2006 FJR1300
12 Posts
If you wore the tire down this far without worrying about them, then I don't see why you would be suddenly concerned about today or tomorrow. If you plan to ride around your neighborhood on dry roads, you might be OK. Personally, would reschedule longer (maybe all) rides until new hoops are mounted on the wheels. (Or, to reduce additional wear on your front tire, just wheelie your way through the rides this weekend ;)).

·
Registered
2003 FJR1300R / 2007 Husq SMR 510
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you wore the tire down this far without worrying about them, then I don't see why you would be suddenly concerned about today or tomorrow. If you plan to ride around your neighborhood on dry roads, you might be OK. Personally, would reschedule longer (maybe all) rides until new hoops are mounted on the wheels. (Or, to reduce additional wear on your front tire, just wheelie your way through the rides this weekend ;)).
Well honestly I knew it was on it's way out but I wanted to gauge the severity by people's answers. I knew the "big boys" would comment and I would gauge my confidence level off of their responses. I typically put down 150-300 miles a day so my tires look different every time I look at them. I was just hoping someone either posted a response like Damir did or something like STOIP RIDING THAT THIS IS GOING TO EXPLODE. I don't know street tires all that well as my Husky Supermoto spends a lot of time on either stairs and foot paths/sidewalks or on one wheel and my last 10 bikes have had 70/30's on them and those just look like shit when they are about to disintegrate. I was going to post a Relive video today of the 292mi I did but it decided to stop "Reliving" after only 120 miles... Shame on me. Tomorrow will be another day. I didn't touch the front brakes once today at all so I have that going for me, and I am still wearing in the back pads as they are new as of yesterday.

Also a fun thing I am learning quickly: You cant turn a darkside wheelie AT ALL. Once it is up it is going to go where you pointed it.

·
Premium Member
1,278 Posts
I've seen bologna skins tougher than that tire. Do you really want to risk a potential catastrophe to squeeze a few more miles out of it? That tire is ready for the trash bin.

• Haha
Reactions: spectreman

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
10,628 Posts
I'd have no problem riding on that... dry. Looks reasonably evenly worn given it's gone that far..... you know you have 150 miles left when the metal shows....

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Multi compound tires wear with that horrific ridge on the dividing line. On both sides!
From about half to worn out I like single compound tires better. The handling just goes to crap. I can feel those more and more as the tires wear. Its really aggravating.
However new to half or 2/3rd wear they are better.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Multi compound tires wear with that horrific ridge on the dividing line. On both sides!
From about half to worn out I like single compound tires better. The handling just goes to crap. I can feel those more and more as the tires wear. Its really aggravating.
However new to half or 2/3rd wear they are better.
This is the type of stuff I like. I had only known that that "line" meant you are in trouble better buy some tires. I appreciate the reasoning behind why the lines are there as the internet just talks about wear lines (duh) and that the center lines are impending explosion. I had the luxury of riding through a city that had just painted all the crosswalks and traffic lines fresh today and let's just say here in NY they don't exactly let-the-paint-dry so I had a few pucker spots. I also made sure I wasn't riding as aggressive as I usually do just to keep stress off the front. Learning how to get the front off the ground on this bike has actually been both a chore and a blessing. So many times I want to get off my front wheel like in a nasty bit or a railroad crossing or even a bit of pavement under construction...it is definitely something that has helped me in the way that I ride but maybe I am more of a throttle over brake person from all the MX bullshit I have hardwired in me.

·
Premium Member
3,935 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Plenty of rubber. You'll be fine - as long as you do not make any right hand turns.
Seriously though...Was he on a "Opposite Day" at the track? Is that a thing? I have no idea about street tracks and have nowhere near the money to afford the gear or the gas... How does one do that? I thought at first it was the camera reversal thing but then I saw YAMAHA on his rim and am puzzled. @Dimir we need answers.

You should wait until they look like this, and then replace 😂
View attachment 85372 View attachment 85373

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Seriously though...Was he on a "Opposite Day" at the track? Is that a thing? I have no idea about street tracks and have nowhere near the money to afford the gear or the gas... How does one do that? I thought at first it was the camera reversal thing but then I saw YAMAHA on his rim and am puzzled. @Dimir we need answers.
it was a puzzle to everybody gathered around that bike on that sunny day, the bike was there and the owner must have been at the restaurant, I wasn't there long enough to wait for him and to hear his story, ... but I did ask the guys on that parking lot, to bring this "extreme tire wear" to owner's attention just in case he didn't notice :rolleyes:

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
it was a puzzle to everybody gathered around that bike on that sunny day, the bike was there and the owner must have been at the restaurant, I wasn't there long enough to wait for him and to hear his story, ... but I did ask the guys on that parking lot, to bring this "extreme tire wear" to owner's attention just in case he didn't notice :rolleyes:
Oh snap! I thought that was your bike.
At least you know when it does poke through it will be a "feel-able" bubble and then a complete loss of air quickly.

My first Pirelli Dragon SuperCorsa rear tires had the belt's showing and I had ZERO experience with street tires as I always bought bikes and put new tires on and sold them before the tires wore out. It frightened me so bad thinking the metal would slide and spontaneously come flying out of the tire. Mainly the reason I ask is because I was not sure of what happens when they have had enough.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts