FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Yamaha FJR1300ES
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings Bike Dudes! I had a 1,300 mile ride from Western Pa to Southern Illinois last week for my wife’s 40 year High School Reunion. She drove the cage out several days earlier, I hopped on the FJR for a 642 mile, 12 hour ride of blissful enjoyment!

Prior to doing so, I’ve thought about installing Murph’s Kits peg lowering brackets, which drop the driver pegs about 1 1/4”. This could relieve some knee pain from a knee replacement I had last December.

Then it dawned on me…Why not raise the seat to the high position and not lose ground clearance for the twisties? I have a knock off Air Hawk cushion covered by a sheep wool cover that did provide enough comfort for about 500 miles before the hindquarters started to squirm. At 5’ 8”, I could still touch the ground adequately at a stop.

YES! Raising the seat did help the knee on this trip, I have Rivco Highway pegs on my Canyon Cages, but after returning home, I ordered some extension arms to extend the length of the Highway pegs. This will give a nice stretched out position for my legs on these long rides.

BTW, I did contact Murph’s Kits about ordering a pair of his brackets, but he won’t have any made for the FJR for four weeks or so. I’m glad I remembered about raising the seat, It really was a leg saver!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Also 5'8" and seat stays in high position at all times for this very reason. Not exactly a secret but glad you found it.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2014 Yamaha FJR1300ES
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Slow Dave, I think I’m the slow one… I’ve had my 2014 for two years now, always new about raising the seat, but I hesitated in the past so I could flat foot at a stop. My new knee changed my mind. I’m so happy I might have my ECU flashed!

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
8,819 Posts
I do the same with the seat b/c of a replacement hip but for me it's not an either/or scenario. For longer rides where "foot down" is minimal I'll put the seat in the high position. For putzing around, sightseeing, etc. where stops will be more frequent the seat goes back in the low position. It's ok b/c I'm getting off the bike to walk around some anyway.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just wanted to give an update on the Murph's peg lowering kits, in case anyone else was looking at them. I ordered them on Oct 1 and he emailed that they were starting a run and it would be about 3 weeks. This morning, he emailed that they had a machine issue and are waiting on parts. So not sure on when they will be ready to ship. Just an FYI.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts