FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

First off...not a sexual thing.

I'm talking about the pumpkin on our FJR's.

Got to say, the set up on my bike in plain English "sucked". I found loose bolts, loose screws, filthy brake rotors, etc. But I figured they at least had the lubrication thing down, and I'd drop the oils before 600 miles anyway.

I was wrong.

Almost a half quart overfilled in engine when I dropped the engine oil and...............

about three TABLESPOONS of gear lube in rear. Thats it.

It amazes me the lack of professionalism out there. When I told the dealer about all this he was pretty much uninterested. He said " Yours is the only FJR we sold". So what the Hell does that mean. Is he telling me no one in the service department is qualified to service a FJR?

He will never see another cent from me thats for sure.

I'm pissed now. Anyone have a phone number to contact Yamaha at somewhat high level? I have a laundry list of things that were not right. I want to raise some Hell here. What if the rear locked up on me with my lady on the back???

This FJR is such a great bike, it deserves better treatment. And $14,300 later, so do I. :twisted:

·
Registered
425 Posts
look in your owners manual

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
I don't think the dealers do anything to the bikes. All they do is take it out of the crate, bolt on the front wheel, tip in some fuel, and that's it. Everything else is ex factory.

All this business about pre-delivery inspections, is just bullsh1t.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I hear ya,

When I bought my bike the dealer "mistakenly" forgot to give me both saddlebag liners - good thing I caught it and asked them to go look for it.
When I brought it back home I noticed both tire valves didn't have their plastic covers, and I was missing one of the quick-fastening body panel screws.

Picked up my bike from the dealer after 600mi service and asked them if they changed the gear lube - NOPE. Mechanic gave me some excuse that fjr doesn't really need it till 16,000 miles (my fjr was the first they've serviced as well), then shoved me out the door. Manual says to change it after first 600mi - you'd think a Yamaha dealer would have their sh*t straight. - Bastards. After paying way too much money to have my bike serviced they still cut corners.

I'm going to have to learn to do the maintence myself. Save me some money too.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Only last week I received a questionaire regarding my satisfaction with Yamaha..... :?
well....I bagged the absolute crap out of the dealership I bought my FJR from. Same deal....She won't need diff oil on the first 1000KMs mate!
She doesn't need throttle body sinc...it's only new!!

My reply at the service department was...."Why in the F&$k are you charging me for it then? and why does the shedule say to do it!!

Yamaha called me on friday to discuss some of my complaints....well....I let them have it too. I told them They should check up on the dealerships to ensure they maintain their product as recommended and in accordance with the correct maintenance manuals.

Yamaha said "Sorry" we will be in contact with the dealership and will let you know of the outcome as soon as possible........

I agree.....Do it yourself if you want it done well.
We should market a stamp to stamp our own warranty books when we service our own bikes.... :ale:

Shame Yamaha....Shame!!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To Joer6....

Guess what. I dont have any saddlebag liners either.

Do they come standard in the 06 FJR with manual shifting?

( and I got that same "how we doin'' letter from Yamaha the other day)
I intend to rip them a new ***hole.

I was also never offered the extended warranty, Id say three quarters of the stuff that was checked off on that yellow sheet was never done.

My bike was set to be delivered in March. I got it in mid May. And then all of this. Adding insult to injury.

I'm getting the impression Yamaha was not prepared to have a 06 FRJ. I think they were too busy building other bikes..

Just look at your owners manual and how many times it says CONTACT YOUR DEALER IF NEEDING ADJUSTMENT. Like, they couldnt devote the time to providing a proper owners manual.

In my opinion, Yamaha is swinging the bullshit stick at all of us. I still really like the bike, not the crap that goes with it though.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I just had the rear tyre changed on my 05 at 10450km at a suzuki/honda/harley dealer and they said that the drive splines etc had very little grease at all, and they checked the whole rear out and they greased everything for me no charge. ( I have just finished painting the spare parts guy's harley so get along well with them) The Yammy dealer here is a chookchaser dealership who have added road bikes to there collection and as far as i'm concerned they should have stayed just chookchasers, not impressed with there mechanics. They told me ther other day that my bike wouldn't need throttle sinc until 24,00km....
when they delevered the bike to me it was missing those little rubber block things that are mounted to the exhaust brakets and the panniers slide unto them and hold the bottom in place. it took a month for them to arrive and then they were going to charge me for em, and they aint cheap. I'm still waiting for another front mudguard to arrive, it will be my thrid, the first 2 the paint was bubbling up on them.
I think i'll just fix the guard myself , blend the fenda extenda into it and color code the whole lot.
Does anyone have a colour code for the blue and silver fjr's? i have the silver eyematched, but if i could get a code for the blue it would save me eyematching it.
Cheers
Thommo

·
Registered
405 Posts
Thommo-05 FJR color code on Blue is Yamaha TU5252865 "Deep Purplish Blue Met.L" Made by ColorRite.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Sorry to hear you gents are having such poor service. Good dealers seem to be the exception these days. Do buy the shop manual and handle things yourself. Even if you don't choose to do the work yourself, the shop manual is a decent one and will show you what's what so you understand what is/was being done.

Here is a number for Yamaha Cust. Service in the US. 1-800-962-7926

·
Registered
237 Posts
Best all around solution is to do as much of the bacis service work yourself and then find a dealer (no matter how far away) you casn trust to do the serious stuff. Lube and brake fluid changes are kind of a no-brainer. Tires are a bit more dicey, but it can be done with some practice. Big deal jobs like valve adjustments, etc are the dealer's chore. I'm lucky to have 2 decent dealers fairly close by, but I wouldn't hesitate for a Dixie minute to take the FJR 150 miles up the road to a shop I knew did decent work :wink:

Leaving for Western Maryland, to Baltimore, to Western PA, then to Atlanta and finally back home. Always good to get on the road. 8)

·
Registered
75 Posts
To czguybilly:

Yes, the saddlebag liners sure DO come with the '06 fjr. Your dealer is pulling a fast one on you. Try going back and getting them from your dealer - tell them you talked to Yamaha directly and they said that the bike comes with the liners. They don't sell the liner's individually(my dealer only gave me one until I called him on it) and they are about $95 for the pair - an expense you should NOT have to pay.

Enjoy the bike, and don't take sh*t from anybody.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I have recently bought a new 06 FJR.....but no pannier liners?

Do they only come with the bikes sold in the U.S.? or should they come with the bikes in Australia too? :?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Jeez, I thought we had a raw deal with dealers in the UK. After reading some of these posts I can maybe appreciate some of the service we get! (only maybe!)

·
Registered
75 Posts
At least in the U.S. the saddlebag liners definately come with the bike. I watched the dealer putting the bike together (referring to 06 with manual clutch - who wants an auto trans bike?!?! takes the fun out of it) and saw both saddlebag liners in the box.

Didn't seem like the dealer had too much to put together - front wheel assembly, windshield, saddlebags, battery - that's about it! I'm ashamed to say that I paid $599 for the setup fee, but did get the bike for $11,900(compared to MSRP of $13,499)

Anyone else wish to share how much their setup fee was? Anyone not have to pay a setup fee?

·
Registered
372 Posts
The dealership service issue is pretty consistent, unless you have a Yamaha 5 Star shop. Locally that is not the case, I have found a mechanic who works out of his house, does great work, he is slow, but everything is done top drawer perfect. He doesn't get pissed if I order tires discount from somewhere and bring just the wheel for mounting and balancing. He is honest and loves the FJR.
I was fortunate enough to need a rear tire on a run last summer and found the Yamaha dealership in Vernon BC. Now here is a shop that is a model of what dealerships should strive to be. Reasonable, fast and courteous. Did the drive splines without asking at No Charge!! Made the local guy and his lackies look pretty bad.

·
Registered
15 Posts
color match

Thommo, If you have a problem with thr color e mail me . I can take a "picture "of mine and get a paint formula {duPont} for you or if it works better for you Spies Hecker. Dave

1 - 19 of 19 Posts