FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings fellow Riders: We all are riding in different weather, some tropical, some temperate, some....... damn cold. Is there a good multi purpose jacket /pants combo out there? I have heard of people swearing by: Aerostitch, BMW Mottorad, Joe Rocket. For those of us who drive in many weather conditions it can become expensive with summer gear, fall gear ,winter gear etc. I would look forward to some comments about what other riders are wearing out there and what climates you feel your choice of clothing works best in, (keeping in mind armour is important)
Kone

·
Registered
181 Posts
Kone,

Personally so would I never ride without leathers for the protection, not even down to the shop.

My leathers are the best I could afford, I ordered them made to my own specification with plenty of air vents and mesh panels thus making them as cool as possible for summer wear.

When the temperature drop I will add thermal underwear, followed by a fleece ontop of the jacket, a wind/water proof jacket on top of the fleece, windproof trousers, pretty much in that order, the lower the temerature - the more clothes I will wear.

The key to this system is layers, one layer will offer me abrasive protection the next ones warmth and protection from the elements.

The main reson for me to choose this system is the flexibility, apart from the leathers (which I always wear) everything else will fit in to a tankbag so that if the weather changes, I am prepared.

You will also find that the only clothing you have to by in a bike shop is the leathers, everything else I bought in outdoor leisure / ski shops which tend to be cheaper.

Ride often and Ride SAFE,

Morgan
(for the last 8 hours the proud owner of a black -02 FJR)

·
Registered
141 Posts
The key is indeed layers. No suit will give you all, regardless of what they advertise. I have a BMW Savanna 2 jacket, which has ventilation all over, which makes it nice in summer. Add the optional GoreTex liner, and it's wind and waterproof, but breathable. Wear thermal underwear and/or a fleece shirt underneath when it gets cold.

All purpose clothing will either be too hot in summer, or too cold in winter or both. The only thing that will really work is multiple layers. Layers will trap air in between to add insulation and keep you warm. Thermal underwear will transport sweat from your body to the next layer, effectively working as an airconditioner for your body.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I agree with all that has been said above. But I wear electric, vest or jacket, when the temps go near or below freezing. This eliminates a lot of bulk. :wink:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Layering is definitely the way to go. I haven't found a single garment selection that will effectively cover the whole range of riding requirements. I choose my selections based on the following criteria, ranked by importance:

1. Protection
2. Comfort ( able to deal with hot or cold, as required )
3. Looks

As it worked out, in my case, Aerostitch forms the nucleus and I add elements around that as dictated by the weather.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I usually tour in the early spring/late fall for a month or so. When I go from the north east (cold) to south west (hot) and back, I'm forced to carry the full array. Over the years I've acquired all I need for all extremes. This is me in my full winter layers:
- bellaclava to cut face wind/cold (along with big mother Rifle windscreen)
- FroggToggs rainsuit to cut the wind/cold/rain
- JR ballestic jacket with liner
- electric vest
- long sleeve T shirt
- triple digit overglove over light summer gloves with a thinsulate under glove (and heated grips & handguards)
- jeans w First Gear Expedition overpants
Only thing left in the top case winter arsenal is a pair of winter gloves, a sweater and rain booties. For the very hot parts I strip down some of the above and use the JR Phoenix mesh jacket, camelback, and evap vest.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I was out shopping & wishing yesterday & came across the Alpinestars DryStar one-piece for less than $500 US. Anyone have experience or an opinion of this?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Wear ballistic armoured mesh jacket and pants all year. When cold use an electric Gerbing jacket and gloves on thermostat. Rain gear Frogg Toggs. Also carry lined gloves and light weight gloves both armoured. Wear SIDI boots with thick or thin socks as necessary.
The electric stuff really cuts back on the amount of thick layering clothes needed without.

·
Registered
19 Posts
rideing gear

I wear mesh from First Gear in the summer ,Fall intil now with liner UnderAmour long sleev winter shirt also a long sleev shirt.In the winter I have Joe Rocket Alter Ego jacket and ballistic pants with Bmw pants under the J.R. pants, and same clothing in the fall I wear in winter if real cold 30's then Gearbing liner maybe gloves to for the most part street gloves with liners.
rogerfjrfaster :D

·
Registered
119 Posts
I wear an Aerostich Darien outfit year round. No liner/vents open it is very comfortable in summer (90s farenheit). Lined/vents closed, sweater, neck tube (what are those things called anyway?) & winter gloves, I can ride down to zero farenheit (maybe lower, haven't had the opportunity to try yet).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts