FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2015 FJR-1300ESF
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All Balls Racing offers 2 different steering bearing kits for the Yamaha FJR-1300.

One is the house-brand, All Balls kit, part # 22-1003:

22-1003 | All Balls Racing

The other is the "Pivot Works" kit, part # PWSSK-S13-000:

PWSSK-S13-000 | All Balls Racing

The differences I can see are:

--the Pivot Works kit is about $20 more expensive.

--the seals included seem to be slightly different.

Does anyone know the actual difference between the two kits? I've searched the Interwebz in vain.

Using the Contact form on their website, I emailed All Balls with the same question, most of a month ago, so far without reply. They provide no other means of contact (such as a phone number) as far as I can tell.

·
Registered
2007 FJR1300A
3,017 Posts
The difference is whos bearings they use. PivotWorks uses non chinese bearings, allballs uses chinese bearings. I've never had any issues with all balls kits, so personally I would never pay the extra money.
Font Material property Parallel Circle Rectangle

• Helpful
Reactions: DesertBike

·
Registered
38 Posts
Well for Pivot you pay a bit extra for the better quality metal (warranty) and the piece of mind that it isn't made in China. Personally since you want to do it once and how much of a bitch it is to change the steering bearings I'd spring for the Pivot.

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
11,281 Posts
In this application, no tapered roller is going to wear out, so why spend extra...... nobody I know has had an All Balls failure.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Agree 100% with Rayzerman.
Changed my 16's ball bearings with the 22-1003 kit. Didn't think for a second about buying the Pivot kit. To each there own. Either kit will outlive you.

Reactions: skippy344!

·
Premium Member
2016 FJR1300AK
231 Posts
I've never thought for a second to buy ANY AllBalls stuff before. I bought Timken bearings since they seem to know how to do those pretty well. I think it's the 32006X part number you would need.

I'll spend the extra for bearings I know will work.

·
Registered
512 Posts
In this application, no tapered roller is going to wear out, so why spend extra...... nobody I know has had an All Balls failure.
I've had many cheap chinese bearing failures on other equipment and saving a few $ isn't worth the trouble or my life. I refuse to buy no-name mystery quality crap any more.

Often a bean counter would prefer to spend $1 a day on coffee at the drive through instead of $200 for a machine and a years supply of coffee. What looks like a good idea for immediate cash flow isn't always the best decision for the long term.

·
Registered
2015 fjr 1957 HD FLH 1973 moto guzzi 850 eldo
45 Posts
I've replaced all types of bearings in all types of bikes. I have noticed that the all balls or china bearings roll on the rough side.you can really tell the difference in there wheel bearings when you have it on the bench.

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
11,281 Posts
If it were wheel bearings, there'd be NTN (OEM) or brand name........

Reactions: passx

·
Registered
2007 FJR1300A
3,017 Posts
I'll keep using them in wheel bearings too. Never had an issue, bearings for all sorts of things that you use daily are made in China. Not to mention Timpken, SKF, NTN, etc all manufacture in China ;)

·
Registered
2015 FJR-1300ESF
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've never thought for a second to buy ANY AllBalls stuff before. I bought Timken bearings since they seem to know how to do those pretty well. I think it's the 32006X part number you would need.

Where did you get dust seals? I don't think the OEM ones will work on tapered roller bearings. OEM look different than the seals supplied with an All Balls kit, for example.

·
Registered
2007 FJR1300A
3,017 Posts
It's the fact they stand behind their products to last. I didn't mention it because you'd get your $90 dollars back if it did fail. But to each their own.
I think what a lot of people don't understand about companies that sell multiple price points of the same item is that sometimes the difference is the prepaid replacement warranty factor that they figure into the price.
Gesture Tie Smile Television presenter Sharing

·
Registered
2007 FJR1300A
3,017 Posts
Apropos screenshot, IIRC the main plot of "Tommy Boy" involves an auto parts company.
Callahan auto parts, a name that comes up in several movies of that era.

·
Registered
2015 FJR-1300ESF
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Great, there goes being productive any time before lunch.

One example of a Callahan Auto Parts easter egg: mentioned in 50 First Dates.

I love when the writers/producers build in references like that. I feel smrt for noticing them.

·
Registered
2007 FJR1300A
3,017 Posts
Great, there goes being productive any time before lunch.

One example of a Callahan Auto Parts easter egg: mentioned in 50 First Dates.

I love when the writers/producers build in references like that. I feel smrt for noticing them.
That might be the only one - it was what I was thinking of.

·
Registered
68 Posts

This isn't a criticism, Sparky, just a different observation. I live near the Timken Company, have friends and relatives who've worked there over the years, applied for a job there once, and would love to have the level of trust in their bearings that you do. I've had several sets of Timken wheel bearings fail with low mileage on late-model SUVs, so I have no perception of their "superior quality" over other brands. I truly wish I could say they were superior.

I installed an All Balls kit with no reservations... on the basis of forum recommendations, and on the prior experience of a set I installed years ago on my '81 Seca (the FJR's grandad). So far, I haven't been disappointed.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts