FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of fitting an Alarm and Autocom under the seat on my 03 FJR.

Question:- Can I tap into a positive wire that goes into the ECU from the main wiring harness, under the LHS panel??.........and which one/ones should I tap into??

The alarm will need a constant feed and the autocom will only need power when the ignition is on.

Or:- should I run a power wire direct from the battery??

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
181 Posts
My personal preference is to have accessories fed independently via a relay and fuse straight from the battery.
Thus I have fitted a fuse and relay (the relay will energise when my lights are on) by the battery and run cables to the rear, as I carried that out it was easy to run a permanent feed for the alarm at the same time.

But that's just me, no doubts there will be others with other views.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Alarm - Autocom

I went for the relay on the Autocom and used the live to the stop light switch to trigger the relay. Turn on the ignition and the Autocom cuts in at the same time 8) . Personally, not too convinced by the whole alarm trip. :shock:

Hey Viking "The Man in Black Look " has made Camberley a cooler place :wink:
Regards
Esme

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok,so correct me if I'm wrong.

Bring a main feed direct from the positive on the battery, to a relay under the seat, and power the Autocom off the positive of the brake light. This will switch the power to the Autocom as soon as the ignition is turned on.

Does the Autocom Pro 7, really need a relay fitted,....... does it use that much current??

Also run the feed for the alarm, from the same positive wire from the battery.

Onward and upward!! :ale:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Alarm - Autocom

The Autocom can be piggy backed off the brake light switch live feed without any issues :eek: . I opted for fitting a relay switched by the brake light live, with a fused output and an in-line suppressor (ground loop eliminator) :shock: to take away any electrical system noise and power my , Autocom, Kenwood TK3207, GPS, and MP3 player from the same out put. 8)
Regards
Esme :ale:

Viking. I work in Admiralty Way, so see you passing in the opposite direction as you head towards the M3 roundabout, I am in a dangerously fast red Mondeo estate.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
There is wiring built in to the loom for the optional addition of an alarm. The connectors lurk under the pillion seat, so you might be able to use them.

The Autocom on my bike is powered straight off the brake light feed using the adaptor that Autocom sell. The state my hearing is in, if I can hear any electrical noise its a bonus :lol:

·
Registered
632 Posts
I powered my Autocom (and other stuff) from the alarm loom. Found which was the live switched feed and tapped into it there.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Power for the autocom

One thing everyone neglected to mention was where to ground the Autocom. Be sure and ground it at the battery, this keeps unwanted ignition noise out. Kieth Tulsa, OKlahoma :ale:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts