FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Firstly - I have to confess that this isn't an FJR question - it concerns my daughters' SV650 - I am having problems and would much appreciate any help at all, as I have read conflicting info on SV fora.

The story so far:
A previous owner had fitted flush-mount conventional bulb front indicators. I wasn't happy with either the light output or their viewability so bought 4 LED indicators thinking, "Nice and bright - safety first!".

Browsed some SV fora. Seemed straightforward - if the lights flash too quickly 'cos the relay isn't optimised (Not sure if this is the correct word) for them, just get some load resistors and wire them in series to present a greater resistance.

Soooo - fitted the LEDs.

Lights flashed rapidly.

Bought 4 off 10 Ohm 25W resistors, as read on one of the SV boards.

Soldered one 10 Ohm resistor in series with the front LED.

Lights flashed rapidly.

"OK," I thought, "Perhaps two are needed in the indicator circuit to provide the correct load".

Soldered two resistors in series with the front LED.

Lights flashed rapidly.

Argh!

Back to SV forum. Read on an old thread that the resistor needs to be in parallel with the LED 'bulb'. This seemed a bit strange, but the indicators aren't working correctly so perhaps it's worth a try.

Connected resistor in parallel with LED.

Lights flashed rapidly.

Argh! Argh!

I'd be grateful for any advice that the great and the good amongst you could offer.

Stu

·
Registered
141 Posts
Did you connect a resistor at both leds on one side? Cause if you only did a single led, your power is too low. The indicator relay needs 2x 21W of power for it to function properly. A single resistor parallel to a single led light will give the same effect as a single regular lightbulb connected.

Instead of messing with resistors, it is much easier to replace the indicator relay with an electronic version. They can be bought at most auto parts stores, and they plug right in.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
I’ve just assembled some LED's (16 in each) into my housings cannot remember the size of the resistor but it's a big un. I'll see if I can find the paper work for you.

Big thanks to the member of this board who soldered up the LED's for me.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@afterburn
From the initial text you can see that I put two resistors in series with the front LED. No change.
I notice that in your reply you state "In parallel". Should I be connecting the resistors in parallel or series?

As for the relay, the OEM suzuki relay for the SV powers more than just the indicators, so cannot be replaced by an aftermarket one - which is why I am using resistors.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@Woody,
The relay info that I posted for afterburn is relevant to your suggestion as well. I wish the solution was as simple as that!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh crap! ...
...I meant Ian. Sorry mate!

@Woody - I've heard it said that you're always after bug 'uns. Marshman told me.

:roll:

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
fudger said:
@Woody,
The relay info that I posted for afterburn is relevant to your suggestion as well. I wish the solution was as simple as that!
The one's I have flash at the correct speed and dont need the relay also I soldered the resistor in parallel.

fudger said:
Oh crap! ...
...I meant Ian. Sorry mate!

@Woody - I've heard it said that you're always after bug 'uns. Marshman told me.
:roll:
Nowt wrong with Big Un's. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@Woody
Thanks for that. I'll try two of them in parallel.

...and as for big 'uns, I'm not qualified to answer...
<sob>

·
Registered
141 Posts
fudger said:
@afterburn
From the initial text you can see that I put two resistors in series with the front LED. No change.
I notice that in your reply you state "In parallel". Should I be connecting the resistors in parallel or series?

As for the relay, the OEM suzuki relay for the SV powers more than just the indicators, so cannot be replaced by an aftermarket one - which is why I am using resistors.
Yes the resistor needs to be parallel with the LED and there needs to be 2 on each side. I would suggest one parallel with each LED to limit current through the wires, but 2 resistors parallel to a single led is also possible.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They are working now - in parallel. Once I'd remembered the difference between series and parallel it was a bit easier.

(Note to self - much easier to think things through when sober).

Many thanks to everyone who kindly offered advice - afterburn, Ian, Woody.

@Woody - thanks for the PM, but the 10 Ohm beasties worked ok so no need to get more resistors. Useful site though.

Now I just have to finish wiring them tidily.

Thanks again
Stu

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Here a couple of pre-assembly photo's

The 16 LED's silicon used as the mounting base...

The size of the resistor with heat sink.
Still to fit heat shrink tubing and install on to Fjr..

Not finished yet but not far off..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts