FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys & Gals, 8)

I'm thinking of doing an 8 to 10 day tour in the French Alps in August.

Can you answer me 2 questions please,

1, Which route down to and around the Alps is the best ?

2, Do I have to do anything to my headlamps like you do on a car, i.e. deflecting light?

Many Thanks,

alltorque :roll:

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Other people have done this a lot more than we have so they'll have a better idea on routes, to answer your second question we are supposed to fit deflectors if the beam dips in the 'wrong' direction and might dazzle oncoming drivers.

TBH all I've done in the past is just wind the beam down a bit before we leave. Not too keen on sticking something in the middle of the headlamp lens, as don't want to damage the plastic, so just took some stick on deflectors with us in the tank bag, and planned to say I forgot to fit them if the Police challenged us over it.

In the event we did get pulled over once due to the headlights, but the gendarmes just wanted them turned on, and never checked where they were pointing.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
I stick the ferry sticker on my lens protector to keep the local police happy then wash it off when home.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Its been posted a few times before, but in case you've missed it, have a gander at THIS SITE to get the imagination working.

Have to say that in August it can get a bit busy in places, especially at weekends. We were there at the end of August last time we went, and one Sunday it was like riding round the M25 over some passes.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Don't need to anything on bike headlights, we never have had a problem.

Choice is endless to the Alps, we went across top of France, thro Germany stop over in Black Forrest, clipped Austria and into Italy via the Timmelsjoch Pass to the Dolomites (same area), superb hotels with pool/sauna etc.

Teejay

·
Registered
107 Posts
Teejay is as normal correct, no need to do anything with headlights on a bike, The only other advice I would give is don't just think about it, do it. There are some fantastic roads and places to visit. In the summer months the area is full of bikers from all parts of Europe. The links from others who have replied should get the juices running.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alps Trip

Thanks for all your advise and thanks again for the web links.

This shows the power of the FJR Owners.com

You have givern me so much info I'm going to be busy looking and planning the trip,

Cheers,

Alltorque :lol:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.