FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The manual tells us nothing, my dealer doesn't know, how do you adjust the handlebars to the 3 positions it states in the manual? Just loosen everyting and move it around or do you have to remove the bolts?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Remove the small allen keys 2mm (two holding the covers on) at the base of each bar.
Then lift the covers off.
Once you've removed these covers you can undue the bolts underneath completely.
Lift the bars and locating pins which are located into the headstock at the base of each bar.
You can then move the bars into the most comfortable position to suite your reach, a) forward, b) central or c) back.

Once postioned correctly by relocating the pins then put everything back together. Takes about 10mins to complete.

Good luck

Nova :wink:

·
Registered
737 Posts
When you bolt the handlebars back down, replace the nut first...that will pull the bracket from underneath up to get the allen bolt started. :wink:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One problem, The bolts will not move from the centered position, so Now I can't move the bars back to the back position. The bolt is attached to something that also holds the bracket for the brake position rods, the whole things moves a bit but not to a new position, so now the pins will only go into the original position. What is holding up this bracket with the bolt and allen nut in its place.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had the same problem. I fixed it by changing out the allen bolts for 1/4" longer (same machine thread). This made it much easier to bring the handlebar back down in the front (level) position.
I started the main nut to hold it in place and then just cranked down on both equally until the bar was in place. Make sure the pins underneath are seated in the holes and you should not have a problem. I moved mine to the full rear position.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Ivy said:
The manual tells us nothing, my dealer doesn't know, how do you adjust the handlebars to the 3 positions it states in the manual? Just loosen everyting and move it around or do you have to remove the bolts?
The dealer doesn't know -- great.

Does anyone know the torque spec on the bolts?

·
Registered
80 Posts
During my first ~80 miles, the right handlebar fell off (well, not completely, but mostly). Luckily had some extra tools with me and did a side-o-the-road repair. Found the small allen was stripped and would not tighten.
Moved the bars back and went about my merry way. 20 miles later, the whole flippin bike went tits up because I pinched the wore harness with the bar mount. Grrr. Decent instructions might have helped me on this. So would a better set-up from Yamaha warehous assemblers. Of course a little peek at the wiring before I thightened the bars would have helped alot!

I noted that with the bars in the back position, they also move closer together. Not so sure I like that. Apparently, you cannot keep the standard width AND move them back.

Two lessons:

1) Check the bar bolts when you get your new 06
2) Don't pinch the wires

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
novawing said:
You can then move the bars into the most comfortable position to suite your reach, a) forward, b) central or c) back.
May I assume the bars are delivered in the center position?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Mine were. Dealer told me these are installed at the regional warehouse prior to delivery to the dealer. I assume from that they could be in any position upon receipt - I'm sure they have a standard build though.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
I have adjusted my handlebars to the closest position. I found that you have to dismount both bars before you can move them. You cannot move one bar at a time.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Ok, let me get this straight - If I am missing something please let me know as I'm new to adjusting anything on a bike

1. Remove the covers
2. Undo the both bolts
3. Undo both alan screws
4. Remove both bars and place to desired position(back for me since I'm short)
5. Once placed in desired position, tighten up both bolts.
6. Replace alan screws and tighten
7. Replace covers

Miss anything? Do I have to adjust any of the cables/wires since they'll be pulled back further? No other bolts or screws needed? Anything I should be cautious about?

Jimbemotumbo - did you mess up your bike b/c you pinched the wires? Much damage$$??

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Underneath the the handlebars are 2 small locating pins which go into locating holes in the top fork yoke. Make sure those pins are seated correctly in the holes. I think it would be quite easy to missalign them them and crunch up the aluminium when you tighten the bolts if you are not careful.

Otherwise, the procedure is as you said.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Sounds right. I found you could do one bar at a time. It's also easier if you have a friend over to help with aligning the pins.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Does anyone know the torque setting for the bolts and allan bolt?

Also - a mirror comes in handy if you want to see under the tripple clamp while you are making this adjustment.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Just finished moving my bars back. Taking both bars off at once does the trick. Make sure and bring a couple of towels to wrap the bar ends with so you don't scratch that pretty blue paint(or gray). It looks like the bottom side of the bar mount is one piece so taking both bars loose at once makes it possble to move the mount. I torqued mine to tight......

·
Registered
3 Posts
two at a time...

i watched the shop dude move mine when i took delivery yesterday, and he had a bitch of a time until he loosened the second side, then it went easy. i don't know how the one fellow did it one bar at a time, but he's stronger and more clever than me and my service guy together....

shu

·
Registered
192 Posts
adjusting the bars

but he's stronger and more clever than me and my service guy together....

So Shu,

What are saying? :D

·
Registered
250 Posts
RudyT said:
Just finished moving my bars back. Taking both bars off at once does the trick. Make sure and bring a couple of towels to wrap the bar ends with so you don't scratch that pretty blue paint(or gray). It looks like the bottom side of the bar mount is one piece so taking both bars loose at once makes it possble to move the mount. I torqued mine to tight......
What do you mean by too tight? What torque did you use?

·
Registered
10 Posts
joecbr1100 said:
RudyT said:
What do you mean by too tight? What torque did you use?
2006 FJR Service Manual Information:

Handlebar bolt: 23 Nm (2.3 m-kg, 17 ft-lb)

Handlebar nut: 65 Nm (6.5 m-kg, 47 ft-lb)

Note: First tighten the bolts, then tighten the nuts.

I can send you a scanned page from 2006 FJR Service Manual showing the process for adjusting the handlebars if you want, I would need you email address.

Hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts