FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
here's your "Canada wide" cell coverage
Canada is WIDE, cell phone coverage is spotty. My point is made. Thanks.

Haynes

·
Registered
297 Posts
Hi,

Planning to go across canada late june for work in BC (from Montréal).

I was wondering if you have tips, trick, mods that I should add to my fjr, place to go/avoid stuff like that.

I've planned around 1k (kms) per day mas o menos.

Thank you!
François, You have received a lot of good information in the replies you have received, so I can't add much. I say this somewhat but not entirely in jest - from Montreal to BC is not "across Canada" - you will not ride through most of QC and none of NS, NB, PE and NL.

Seriously, I will add a couple of comments, as someone who has ridden from Mile 0 on Vancouver Island to Cape Spear in NL (the eastern-most point of land in Canada) ... four times (twice each direction), including five consecutive 1,000+ km days (from Sydney NS to Kimberley BC). First, if you don't already have them, I'd recommend high-quality auxiliary driving lights. Second, plan to get an early start every day - this will give you the flexibility to take more and/or longer breaks during the day - either to pace yourself or so you can "sit out" crappy weather like hail and lightning, and still get to your destination for the day at a reasonable time. If an early start means being on the road at or before sunrise, the auxiliary lights will help you see wildlife well before you get to it. Third, stay in a quality hotel so that you can get a good sleep every night. Fatigue can be cumulative. Fourth, prepare your body for the trip - build your fitness, stamina and flexibility. Fifth, prepare your FJR for the trip - make sure your tires have enough left in them, oil change, etc. Sixth ... earplugs! A new pair for each day. The constant white noise of engine noise, road noise, wind noise can be extremely fatiguing mentally, and distracting. Seventh, enjoy the trip - we live in a beautiful country and you are going to ride through a great length of it. Lastly (I hope Damir reads this ;) ), when you get to BC, if you see a vehicle with Alberta licence plates, BEWARE ... get as far away (ahead) from them as you can. BC has some wonderful curvy roads that the FJR will love, but Alberta drivers will go through very slowly.

Hope this is helpful!

Sete

21 - 22 of 22 Posts