FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 04 1300A and would like to access power for a radar detector. Is there a factory plug somewhere with switched 12v waiting or do I access it through the fuse box wiring. Getting the panel off to access the fuse box/ radiator cap is a mission!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks... on my 1600 Mean Streak the Kawasaki had the foresight to install a loom tap plug under the seat for easy access to switchable 12v. Surprised that at the cost of this bike that there is not some facility somewhere given how hard it is to access the fuse box through the jigsaw of panels.

·
Super Moderator
3,956 Posts
I'd not tie off from the wiring harness as each tap is a source of future failure. You could run back to the battery, install a distribution block, or even install a Battery-Tender "type" pig tail to the bike and not do anything that compromised the OEM harness.

Running a detector off the tail light would mean a long run to the front of the bike and through the engine compartment, too.

Some people don't mind tapping the OEM harness. I've had mixed results. When they do cause problems they are always those kinds of problems that take forever to track down.

..update..
Powerlets really are the elegant solution. An ASE pigtail could be had through a place similar to Radio Shack or as part of a Battery Tender kit. You'd still need to mod the cord to your accessory so it would have a plug to match.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I looked at the fuse box but both of the powered "spare" fuses were unswitched 12v (what for I have no idea). I agree about NOT modifying the main loom. Maybe a "powerlet" type wiring back to the battery is the simple answer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
power connections

Please help.... similar need... I would need a 12V-connection, preferably under the seat.
There are two "free" connectors under the seat, does anybody know what they are used for? Anybody know about finding wiring-diagrams on the web?
/Greetings from brand new FJR-05 owner with a desire to connect a navigator...

·
Registered
113 Posts
12v power for accessories

Or you could just add a powerport in the 'D' panel if you only need one power source. Jastek offers kits or individual parts depending on your comfort level. Cheaper to just buy a powerlet port and your own inline fuse and wire than to buy the kit, but the kit's are well put together too.
http://www.powerletproducts.com/products.php?mid=1

For switched power, I went with an aux fuse block and a relay fed direct from the battery. I used the wire from the auto windscreen retract to trip the relay. (I prefer the auto retract disabled anyway)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for your advice,
I may have a relay and inline fuse in the workshop..just need to find a nice flush mounted power socket.
(I might as well do something constructive the weather is crap and I am looking at a M109R and the FJR and suffering withdrawal symptoms!) :ale:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts