FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2005 began to miss, so I took it to the shop where the Power Commander, K&N and Two Brothers slip-ons were installed and dyno-tuned.

When I picked up the bike the lid of the box was open but the latch locked closed. I put the bike in neutral and turned the ignition on. No go.

I looked in the Service Manual, purchased from the dealer when I bought my 2005 FJR, and the Owner's Manual. No help. The Service Manual was published in 2002 - no box until '05.

I assume the problem is a disconnected solenoid.

Advice from any of you who have had experience with this would be appreciated.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Sandy

·
Registered
136 Posts
They may have forced it open. This can break tiny pieces of plastic off the end of the locking mechanism. If you pull up on the lock it will slide out and you can see the lock underneath. It is a small barrell with a spring attached that gets held in place by a pin which pops up when the bike is not in neutral.

The spring end of the barrell won't stay in its track because the guides were damaged by forcing it open. This has happened to mine too. I am going to glue a thin piece of plastic across the guide to hold the barrell in place.

I wish I could offer photos but I am away from home at the moment.

gypsy

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your prompt reply.

The problem is that the lid cannot be closed completely. My guess is that the lock is closed (as when the bike is shut down) and the "tang" on the lid cannot pass the locking mechanism in the bottom of the box. Nothing appears to be broken.

Sandy

·
Registered
26 Posts
glove box stuck open

Mine wouldn't open and finally it did under protest. end of story I bought a new one and removed all the "stuff" required to open it up. Now I just push the button and it opens. Yes it opens when ever I push even at speed but why would I do that? It sure is easier. It also requires a lot of disassembly to get it out, but you might be able to get it open and close when you can see the mechanism. You will also see the "selenoid(sic)" that makes you be in Neutral and the key on to open it up. :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mine is stuck open because I had to force it. Now the latching mechanism is not visible. Can this be fixed? Or do I have to buy a new assembly?

·
Registered
614 Posts
Mine was forced open at the dealership and they ended up buying me a new (Cobalt Blue) one.. which is still in the box. While waiting for it I fashioned a new catch from a large paperclip, some super glue and electrical tape... works fine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the tips. I was able to remove the glove box and disconnect the solenoid and broken latch assembly. I've rigged a latch with some aluminum bits and pieces. Now it stays closed and I can open it manually. Not secure, but then it never really was!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts