FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
2016 FJR1300ES
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my 2016 FJR serviced with the 2nd gear mod last spring. Didn’t do much single riding, mostly groups and I noticed a hesitation going from a standing start, if I added too much throttle, so I choked it up to old fuel. In June I did a 1,000 kms trip in one day and discovered that if I was aggressive rolled the throttle to 2500 rpm’s as I let out the clutch the bike misfired and bogged down to the point where I thought it would stall. During trip it happened 3 times and I also noticed that in neutral, if I bring the rpm‘s to 3000 and try to lower the throttle to idle gradually, when I reach 2500 rpm’s the the engine will drop to idle without moving the throttle. Now the bike is back at the dealers and they don’t know why it’s fouling out in first gear. The bike ran great before the mod and now it’s acceleration curve sucks. Has anyone had this experience after the 2nd gear mod on their bikes and if they did what was the fix. The mod calls for the ECU map to be remapped to protect the first, second and third gears and I suspect it’s the cause for misfires. Typical, Yamaha tried to save costs jamming 6 gears in a spce designed for 5 which makes each gear 1/5th smaller to provide the space for the new gear. Overall the 6th gear wasn’t worth the effort in my humble opinion.

·
Registered
2018 FJR1300ES
3,249 Posts
Zero change, zero bogging, zero fueling anomalies. There is a a safety feature that keeps you from grenading the bike by revving high while abusing the clutch, but it won’t manifest unless you’re screwing up, and then only in first or second, IIRC. Doesn’t affect acceleration or speed whatsoever.

No change to redline or rev limiter in any gear with the clutch pulled or the clutch released.

Sounds like you have something completely different going in. Keep us posted on what they find out. Good luck!

·
Registered
2016 FJR1300ES
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Zero change, zero bogging, zero fueling anomalies. There is a a safety feature that keeps you from grenading the bike by revving high while abusing the clutch, but it won’t manifest unless you’re screwing up, and then only in first or second, IIRC. Doesn’t affect acceleration or speed whatsoever.

No change to redline or rev limiter in any gear with the clutch pulled or the clutch released.

Sounds like you have something completely different going in. Keep us posted on what they find out. Good luck!
Thx for the feedback, pre mod I rode the bike from the Great Lakes to the Cabot Trail and back with no issues and post mod I get this engine bogging when I try to accelerate to fast from a stand still. For me that means something has happened during the mod or as a result of the mod. I’ll keep you posted for sure.

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
9,561 Posts
The re-map wasn't an issue unless the clutch wasn't fully released. Something like Mr. Lumberg says. So that means, for that issue, the clutch has to be fully released so the newly programmed rev limiter doesn't kick in..... so, first check the clutch switch is clean and plunger extending fully when off the clutch.
Do your testing in gear and clutch out.

Reactions: Bill Lumberg

·
Registered
2016 FJR1300ES
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The re-map wasn't an issue unless the clutch wasn't fully released. Something like Mr. Lumberg says. So that means, for that issue, the clutch has to be fully released so the newly programmed rev limiter doesn't kick in..... so, first check the clutch switch is clean and plunger extending fully when off the clutch.
Do your testing in gear and clutch out.
The clutch switch has been looked at and ruled out, unfortunately.

·
Registered
2016 FJR1300ES
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just throwing this out there, when that recall was done that bike was stripped down really far. My guess is something was not installed correctly. It could be something as stupid as a vacuum line or vent hose??
I hope that is the case, the shop has it apart so time will tell.

·
Registered
2016 FJR1300ES
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
2016 FJR1300ES
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well ask for a buy back or reload a old
ecm reflash
[/QUOT
my background is in aviation and remapping the ecu to correct a Bandaid fix by Yamaha to coverup their lousy engineering so changing the ecu map now is not an option. They had to do it because they were too cheap to do the job right in the first place and reengineer the transmission case to accommodate and extra gear. Boeing tried that with the Max 8 and look how well that turned out for them. If the limiter is in fact a reality it becomes a liability to the safe operation of the bike and they have ruined the best sport touring bike on the road, in my humble opinion. Putting a governor on the most heavily used gears on a bike is a safety issue and if this is the case then I will have to make a decision over the winter. I’m 69 years old and bought this as my last bike, the 2005 Gen1 FJR I sold to get this bike, now out preforms the the Gen 4! So going to 6 gears was an utter and complete failure and waste of time so it does not qualify as a sport touring bike. I hope that there is a fix for this down the road, I have my fingers crossed. Sad end to a great bike because of greed!

·
Registered
2018 FJR1300ES
3,249 Posts
I hope they make you whole. The recall doesn’t make the bike a bit slower, doesn’t result in any discernible difference anywhere in the useful operating spectrum. Yamaha’s recall is benign when it comes to operation.

If your bike behaves differently, it’s because something went wrong or was done wrong at the dealership. it’s not a natural part of the recall. I’d be mad too.

I’m interested to find out what they fix, what they find.

·
Registered
2016 FJR1300ES
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I hope they make you whole. The recall doesn’t make the bike a bit slower, doesn’t result in any discernible difference anywhere in the useful operating spectrum. Yamaha’s recall is benign when it comes to operation.

If your bike behaves differently, it’s because something went wrong or was done wrong at the dealership. it’s not a natural part of the recall. I’d be mad too.

I’m interested to find out what they fix, what they find.
I have my fingers crossed, the more I think on it the more, I feel that the bIke is unsafe. I can work around the issue if worse comes to worse. Thx for the help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just joined this forum because I am so angry after going through the recall. The recall re-map ruins the bike; there’s now a limiter when the clutch is in so you cannot launch the bike. 1st and 2nd gear have had the torque curve softened. I would never have let them bear the bike if I knew this was part of it.

Bow I have to spend a fortune getting the bike mapped back to something resembling acceptable.

·
Registered
2018 FJR1300ES
3,249 Posts
I have no such issue with the recall mapping. There is no change to mine anywhere within useable range. If mine were somehow limited or performed any less well after the recall, I’d certainly be upset. Do you think that Yamaha has more than one map that they’re sending dealers? If so, what do you think their motivation is. Following.

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
Hey Bill, I wonder if maybe the dealer didn't give your bike the reflash? Have you confirmed they did it?

·
Registered
7 Posts
It may be to do with riding style; try to do a full-on 1/4 mile style launch; it misses and stutters. Likewise, try a 2nd gear clutch-up wheelie; the limiter kicks in and it stutters and misses. Plus the acceleration is way muted. They change the clutch switch as part of it and the only reason to do that is because they are linking the clutch-in limiter to limit the torque going through the box.
It’s a disaster.
Maybe you got lucky and the dealer didn’t re-map yours?

1 - 20 of 65 Posts