FJR Owners Forum banner

AC Magneto Wiring is warm

772 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  skippy344! 
#1 ·
Hello Hoons,

So, in diagnosing another problem...where at speed the bike dies and then runs again... I noticed that the 3wire pigtail from the AC Magneto to the right connection of the Rectifier, the gray plug, is instantly warm after Orion starts...

Is this normal? It is not Hot, but the other wire is ambient temperature, so I was just adding to my stress level and paranoia.

Thoughts?

#2 ·
The three wires are from the stator, which constantly puts out current when the bike is running. They do get warm on every bike you know. All regulator connections should occasionally be refreshed, in our case, merely unplugging and re-plugging should be enough.
The modern mofset regulators we have more efficiently manage the excess the stator puts out. The other connector is simply power and ground to the mofset.

Reactions: skippy344!
#3 ·
Yeah, on my old XS11SG, the stator plug would get so hot it melted...

And it is good to know that this is "normal." for the FJR!

#4 ·
Resistance is heat. If the connections are poor on either end you will get heat. The heat will be concentrated at the bad connection but it can permeate the entire wire. Check all the connections at the battery and the plug for the stater rectifier. A bad battery with one or more shorted cells will cause this and your running problems.

#5 ·
Yeah, Mike, I am gonna pull the plug into the Rectifier, and check the connection. The battery is new, strong, and the connections are clean and tight.

Will see if it reveals anything...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.