FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a new to me 2005 fjr1300. The ad and the seller stated that it had abs when I asked to confirm. I took the bike home and going over it I became suspicious that it did not have abs. I don't know what the front wheel should look like in this instance, and the abs light in the cluster has no lettering and does not come on at any time, key on, startup, etc. Also the seller stated that it had heated grips and seat but I see no switches or wiring for the seat. This guy is a 25 year marine vet, currently a nurse, does not need the money, has been a biker all his life, thus my going by his word. My bad I am beginning to believe. The question is how do I confirm these things by looking at the bike. I have been through the owners manual but not much help. BTW he told me that the heated seat come on automatically when a sensor detected 40 degree temps? Another fib? Help me out here. Bike has 34K miles and is is very good condition, always adult driven. Thanks to you guys that know better than myself.

·
Premium Member
2006 FJR1300 AS - Orion The Hunter
693 Posts
Hi Geri, welcome to the Hoard! Be among friends!

Orion is 2006, and does not have any heating devices, but has ABS. A quick way, just by looking is if you see a black disc, attached to both the front and rear wheel. It will have a thing with a wire coming out of it, disappearing into the bike somewhere. If you do not see a black disc, with a wire coming out of it, then you don't have ABS.

I am not sure if in 2005 it was an option or standard equipment.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
If your handlebars have wire or cable coming into the rubber handles then it's heated, same with seat, pop the seat and look underneath.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If your handlebars have wire or cable coming into the rubber handles then it's heated, same with seat, pop the seat and look underneath.
Yeah. No wires on the seat.
Hi Geri, welcome to the Hoard! Be among friends!

Orion is 2006, and does not have any heating devices, but has ABS. A quick way, just by looking is if you see a black disc, attached to both the front and rear wheel. It will have a thing with a wire coming out of it, disappearing into the bike somewhere. If you do not see a black disc, with a wire coming out of it, then you don't have ABS.

I am not sure if in 2005 it was an option or standard equipment.
Thanks. 05 was optional. I will check it out, but not holding out hope. You would think a guy (me) who has owned 10 bikes would do due diligence on a buy rather than trust someone.
In 2005, ABS was an option. In 2006, it became a standard feature. I'd say look for the wheel sensors.
Thanks for the reply. It was an option, and I have pretty much confirmed it is a standard model with no options. Disappointed that the guy would lie to me, but more disappointed that I did not aggressively survey the bike before i rode off. Now, I will have to ride it a while to see what may be wrong that is not readily apparent, since I can believe nothing the guy told me. Other than my first car, this is the biggest hoodoo I have ever let happen. Just a word to those more wise than myself.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Sadly vehicle sellers can never be trusted, there are more rogues in the motor trade than anywhere else !
But, as the bike is 16 years old if it did have ABS it would possibly not work or the light would keep coming on !

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000 CBF1000 VFR800
8,706 Posts
Post up pics of the front wheel (both sides), the grips if heated would have a controller knob somewhere, and bottom of the seat....
Maybe the grips and seats are solar powered, lol. Dayum, sorry to hear you were lied to.

·
Premium Member
2006 FJR1300 AS - Orion The Hunter
693 Posts
Don't beat yourself up, Geri! We always want to appeal to our better angels...

Look at it this way... you were meant to have that bike, for some reason. You will figure that out

It is still a great bike, even if you sell it on, in the future, to get a more recent model!

From where do you hail? In Texas, I don't have a need for heated seats and grips! LOL

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Post up pics of the front wheel (both sides), the grips if heated would have a controller knob somewhere, and bottom of the seat....
Maybe the grips and seats are solar powered, lol. Dayum, sorry to hear you were lied to.
Thanks for the answer. About convinced I got taken, but, as I said, at my age, my bad! Only gave $3300 for it and only hope there is nothing major wrong with it. Rides out ok, but I came off of several years on a Goldwing 1800 so not much of a comparison.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Don't beat yourself up, Geri! We always want to appeal to our better angels...

Look at it this way... you were meant to have that bike, for some reason. You will figure that out

It is still a great bike, even if you sell it on, in the future, to get a more recent model!

From where do you hail? In Texas, I don't have a need for heated seats and grips! LOL
Southern Mississippi. Don't have much use down here but do like to ride in the Fall and early Spring in the Smokies and Ozarks so would come in handy. The abs thing is the choker. Thanks for the shoulder to cry on. I'm only down $3300 so no biggie. Plus, it is a new experience for me as I have been a cruiser and tourer rider for the last several years.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sadly vehicle sellers can never be trusted, there are more rogues in the motor trade than anywhere else !
But, as the bike is 16 years old if it did have ABS it would possibly not work or the light would keep coming on !
Thanks for the reply. Yes, you are probably right.

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000 CBF1000 VFR800
8,706 Posts
Well, let's move on..... when life deals you lemons, you make lemonade!!
Without ABS, you just manage your braking a little differently, and how many of us really kick in the ABS on a regular basis.... very few..... so manage your panic stops.
You don't need a heated seat anywhere in my experience... heated gear, yes. Heated grips, yes.... Oxford's are reasonably priced, easy to install.
So there you go, you lost what...... $120 for the grips? And you got the slightly faster Gen1, it'll beat those red ones any day AND keep up with the Root Beers.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, let's move on..... when life deals you lemons, you make lemonade!!
Without ABS, you just manage your braking a little differently, and how many of us really kick in the ABS on a regular basis.... very few..... so manage your panic stops.
You don't need a heated seat anywhere in my experience... heated gear, yes. Heated grips, yes.... Oxford's are reasonably priced, easy to install.
So there you go, you lost what...... $120 for the grips? And you got the slightly faster Gen1, it'll beat those red ones any day AND keep up with the Root Beers.
That is my intention. I am riding again after a year hiatus. That is what counts.

·
Registered
430 Posts
The heated grips on my 2006 were a $450CAD option. They lasted 2 seasons and they were crap - not enough heat, unlike the standard heated grips on my 2020 which are HOT! The fact that your bike doesn't have heated grips is not a great loss. Sorry to hear you were lied to.

Sounds like your bike doesn't have ABS but just to confirm here's a photo of the left side (clutch side) of my ABS equipped front wheel. Again, sorry to hear that you were lied to but while I believe ABS is a valuable addition to any bike, for years we rode without them and survived. Time to work on your emergency braking skills!

Haynes

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The heated grips on my 2006 were a $450CAD option. They lasted 2 seasons and they were crap - not enough heat, unlike the standard heated grips on my 2020 which are HOT! The fact that your bike doesn't have heated grips is not a great loss. Sorry to hear you were lied to.

Sounds like your bike doesn't have ABS but just to confirm here's a photo of the left side (clutch side) of my ABS equipped front wheel. Again, sorry to hear that you were lied to but while I believe ABS is a valuable addition to any bike, for years we rode without them and survived. Time to work on your emergency braking skills!

Haynes

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I hear ya. Thanks for the reply! I have owned 10 bikes of all descriptions, only one, a K1200LT, had abs. All the rest did not. I practice panic stops on a regular basis on any bike I ride and like doing police maneuvers as well. That's one reason I bought the fjr. I am not an aggressive rider (except in the twisties) but like to have the potential under me for most anything. The brakes on my short trip home were impressive so I am not grieving too much. All of the comments here have been helpful and I am sure I will be 'leaning' on you guys again! Thanks, y'all!

·
Registered
331 Posts
This guy is a 25 year marine vet, currently a nurse, does not need the money, has been a biker all his life, thus my going by his word.

BTW he told me that the heated seat come on automatically when a sensor detected 40 degree temps? Another fib?

What complete and utter BS.

The sensor to turn a heated seat on automatically would probably cost several times more than it costs to install heating elements in a seat.

Dude sounds like he likes to BS - unless you know him well I would also wonder about the story about him being a Marine for 25 years before becoming a nurse, and becoming independently wealthy.

Met a guy a while back who claimed to be an ex-motorcycle pro racer. He went on to claim he used to pull wheelies on the street at triple digit speeds. As I politely nodded, he continued to regale me with stories of setting the world record for wheelies, and pulling a wheelie at 160 mph. And get this - he did it wearing shorts and a tank top, and flip flops.

He was quite the stud, if he did say so himself....

😆

·
Premium Member
3,424 Posts
Southern Mississippi. Don't have much use down here but do like to ride in the Fall and early Spring in the Smokies and Ozarks so would come in handy. The abs thing is the choker.
I'm in Texas. I use the heated grips on my 2013 so seldom that I usually forget when I would like to use them.

In the seven years that I have owned my bike, I have never needed the ABS. The TC light has flickered twice on gravel, something really try hard to avoid.

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
8,509 Posts
I tend to explore lots of unpaved roads in national forests in western North Carolina so my ABS gets regular exercise. Haven't noticed the TC light yet.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts