FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the way to work this morning my ABS light started flashing, not having my manual to hand I have no idea what this means!! Everything seems to be working ok, but I guess most likely I wont have ABS; can someone enlighten me as to whether its just the ABS & the bike is still safe to ride until I can get it booked in?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Tony, according to the owners manual page 3-3, if the ABS light comes on or flashes the braking system reverts to normal braking (no ABS) so it advises you to have it checked asap.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Just a quick thought here from another forum. My (non abs) FJR is now toast and I have a K1200LTSE. The ABS lights on the BMW flash if the battery is anything less then perfect. I left mine out for a few days in -10C recently and they were flashing all over the place when I started it.
After a few miles, I switched off, re-started and all was fine...might just be worth a thought before a dealer visit.
Never happens when connected to the battery tender..was only a one off when I was forced to leave it outside when elsewhere for a week.
Try charging the battery for a while..see if that cures it.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, as I expected then, no ABS but ok to ride until I can get it in to the dealer sometime next week.
Battery should be ok, bike is not quite a year old & spends the night on the Optimate once a week just to make sure that my Gerbings gear hasn't taken to much out of it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This same thing happened to me. Check that the rear brake light switch is adjusted correctly. The rear brake pedal switch should be adjusted so when you don't have the brake on the light is off. And when you apply the rear brake pedal the light comes on. The ABS light will blink if the rear brake light "stays on" while the wheel is turning because you don't have the rear brake light switch adjusted correctly. Hope this helps you out.

·
Registered
47 Posts
There is no fluid level sensor on the FJR. The light will flash if you have a bad wheel sensor, or a bad connection at a wheel sensor, which is the most common failure in the system.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Think I may have sorted this with a squirt of ACF-50 :D Noticed that the bike wasnt pulling so great in traffic so had a good look over it & found that the back brake pedal wasnt releasing properly, taking several seconds to come all the way back.
A squirt of the magic stuff loosened it up again & my ABS light has stopped flashing to! Think I will still get the dealer to have a look but that certainly does seem to have sorted it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Tony, just like I said...with the brake pedal stuck in the down position, the brake light would stay on. This causes the ABS computer to think a fault is in the system which causes the ABS light to flash to warn the driver.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have just had the back wheel off to lube the drive shaft, boy did it need it, replaced everything back in order and now the abs light is flashing. The two marks are lined up on the caliper and the abs sensor so any ideas as to why it's flashing? Fluid level is OK, brake light switch is OK

thanks

·
Registered
103 Posts
sorted now, if you run the bike in gear with the rear wheel off the floor the abs light will flash.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts