FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
9,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do a search for a word and a 13 page thread shows up as a result. I click the title of the thread and I'm taken to post #1, which does NOT have my search word it it.

Is there a why to automatically be directed to the post my search word is in without having to go through each post to find it?

·
Registered
FJR1300A 2008
1,901 Posts
I do a search for a word and a 13 page thread shows up as a result. I click the title of the thread and I'm taken to post #1, which does NOT have my search word it it.
Is there a why to automatically be directed to the post my search word is in without having to go through each post to find it?
Russ,

I'm guessing that you are using Advanced Search, not the box called "Google Custom Search."

"Google Custom Search" will only take you to the posts that have your search word. It may take a few seconds for that box to appear, for each Forum, at the right end of the black header line. You may need to click into another Forum and then back, to wake up that box.

Using "Advanced Search," each result will have two red lines in it: a.) the thread topic, and b.) the first words of a post. Click on the red line that you want:
The top red choice takes you to the entire thread, which will have your search word in it, somewhere.
The lower red choice will take you straight to the post that contains your search word.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: Bill Lumberg

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
9,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Using "Advanced Search," each result will have two red lines in it: a.) the thread topic, and b.) the first words of a post. Click on the red line that you want:
The top red choice takes you to the entire thread, which will have your search word in it, somewhere.
The lower red choice will take you straight to the post that contains your search word.
I'm using Advanced Search. Attached is a snippet of my search results. I'm lost with the top and lower "red choices" you describe, what do you mean? Seems to me the only option I have is to open a thread and search thru each post to find what I'm looking for.

Attachments

·
Registered
FJR1300A 2008
1,901 Posts
I'm using Advanced Search. Attached is a snippet of my search results. I'm lost with the top and lower "red choices" you describe, what do you mean? Seems to me the only option I have is to open a thread and search thru each post to find what I'm looking for.
Russ,

Not sure where you are starting from, but if you are in a forum, there will be a box marked "Search this Forum" and if you click on it, you can use the Search box (giving results of posts only, that have your search word). Below that Search box, you can click on "Advanced Search" (in tiny print) to go there. I attached a picture of a screen grab showing the red lines that I mentioned. These are my "Advanced Search" results.

Failing all that, just Copy and Paste this next line into the Google search line:
admore SITE:https://www.fjrowners.com/forums

That
[spacebar]SITE:
command seen above tells Google to search only one web site, not the entire Internet (in this case, the Forums of "fjrowners" for the term ADMORE. You should get back only posts with your search word, that way. You can put any URL behind the SITE: command, to search in other places.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
9,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm looking at this thread. I go to the black box at the top and hover over Tools. I click Advanced Search in the dropdown menu. On the left I enter my search term(s). On the right I enter my username. Below that SEARCH ALL OPEN FORUMS is highlighted. I push my computer's ENTER button. Again, I DO NOT get a result that looks like yours but rather what I attached above. The only "choice" I'm given is to open a thread and search through each post.

·
Registered
FJR1300A 2008
1,901 Posts
I'm looking at this thread. I go to the black box at the top and hover over Tools. I click Advanced Search in the dropdown menu. On the left I enter my search term(s). On the right I enter my username. Below that SEARCH ALL OPEN FORUMS is highlighted. I push my computer's ENTER button. Again, I DO NOT get a result that looks like yours but rather what I attached above. The only "choice" I'm given is to open a thread and search through each post.
Russ,

There are two ways (at least) to get to Advanced Search; one is to click TOOLS next to INSURANCE on the very top black line, and above the red THREAD STARTER line, click on SEARCH THIS THREAD or SEARCH THIS FORUM (depending on where you are at the moment).

Gotta say, Search here has been kinda wonky lately, giving me server errors one minute, and working normally the next. I have had better luck by clicking on the Magnifying Glass icons rather than using the ENTER key, to start a Search.

You may have some kind of a browser glitch there. Can you use Firefox, Internet Explorer, Chrome, Opera, or any other browsers, for the Search? I quit using IE because of all the weird glitches it has.

The Google SITE: command should still do the job for you. I'm running out of ideas, though.

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
9,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I regularly use Firefox, haven't tried others. I've never used the "Search This Thread/Forum" as to access Advanced Search, I've always used the "Tools ext to Insurance" link.

·
Registered
FJR1300A 2008
1,901 Posts
I regularly use Firefox, haven't tried others. I've never used the "Search This Thread/Forum" as to access Advanced Search, I've always used the "Tools ext to Insurance" link.
Russ,

Okay, let's try another computer, if you like. It's better for you if you can see some success, and assure yourself that the outside advice you get really should work. "Borrow" another computer; that means, visit the house of a friend with Firefox, or a public library. See what you get for Search operations there. Copy off what you will need from here, for the visit.

Plan A: If that goes well, or if you skipped that "visit" step entirely, the Firefox browser always employs user Profiles. All sorts of odd "problems" can be eliminated by using a clean, new profile, so it MAY help you out here. Any web site may tinker a bit with your Profile settings, so a very old Profile can get ragged after a while. Do not delete your existing Profile, but create a new Profile for yourself. Find some helpful geeky friend, if necessary. The plan here is to EXPORT a copy of all of your bookmarks to a file (that is a good idea anytime), make a new Profile, re-start Firefox using the new Profile, then IMPORT all of your bookmarks into the new Profile. Do not delete anything. Making a new Profile goes like this:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/k...refox-profiles#w_starting-the-profile-manager

Then when you start Firefox, it will ask you which profile you will use today. Choose the new one, and see how that goes.

After a while, selecting the new Profile each time you start can get old. No big problem. If everything works well, you can save a copy of the old Profile someplace on the disk, and then delete the original Profile from Firefox. Then Firefox will use the new profile, without asking. Firefox Help can assist with that little process, too.

Plan B: Choose and install a second brand of Browser. Most browsers have a way of importing all of your old bookmarks from another brand of browser. Check out the Help section for any new browser, for that process. I only use the other browser if needed, when Firefox is missing something.

Best wishes . . .

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
9,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As it turns out, what I'm looking for has absolutely nothing to do with my browser or computer. See attached pic below:

I do EXACTLY as I posted previously

I'm looking at this thread. I go to the black box at the top and hover over Tools. I click Advanced Search in the dropdown menu. On the left I enter my search term(s). On the right I enter my username. Below that SEARCH ALL OPEN FORUMS is highlighted. I push my computer's ENTER button.
But in the bottom left corner of the Advanced Search page is a choice for "Show Results As". If Threads is selected then you get what I pictured in post #3. If Posts is selected then you get as red pictures and describes in post #4, which is what I want.

I chose Display As Posts and at the bottom I saved my search preferences so every search will display that way.

Thanks!

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts