FJR Owners Forum banner

A or ES

6K views 28 replies 23 participants last post by  RC51Hammer 
#1 ·
For those who purchased an A model (availability or price being the driver), do you regret not buying an ES, 2016 or newer?

#2 ·
I think I would prefer an A. With an ES, you're stuck with the OEM suspension, although adjustable, still stock parameters. With an A model I can replace the stock with a Penske (or your favorite aftermarket brand) and have a suspension that is set up for me specifically. One man's opinion...

#4 · (Edited)
I have 2 A models and do not regret not getting an ES. Always solo, max of 40 lbs or so extra when traveling. 185 lbs. Switch to HARD with luggage, SOFT without. I prefer stock suspension. Will be removing a Penske rear shock this winter, way too harsh for me.

Reactions: spectreman
#6 ·
Nope. Have an A from before there was and ES. I never jonesed for a replacement because of that. Once you dial in a suspension, it's pretty much set except right before a ride that changes loads (solo to passenger). Given the OEM suspension bits that you start with, that's minimal anyway. Going to improved aftermarket is also easier/cheaper without ES.

#7 ·
UCSE5,

I have an A. I would pass on the ES because (1.) I like my suspension mods, and (2.) the sky-high cost of replacing those parts on an ES (OEM only) when they wear out or fail. When the day comes that the factory does not make your suspension parts any longer, you are stuck with a problem. If I did not plan to keep an FJR very long, maybe an ES would be okay, but I look 'way down the road when buying. YMMV.

Reactions: bounce
#8 ·
I recently purchased a '19 A with about 11K miles on it. I actually wanted a '22 AE that the dealer had, used with 130 miles on it but I waited too long and it was sold. The A I got was allegedly owned by an older guy and I kind of believe the dealer as it had some huge chicken strips on the rear tire, the front was new. It has an Ohlins shock and the dealer said some unknown work done on the forks, he believed it was Race Tech for some reason. Anyway this thing rides like a dream, both solo and 2 up. I also noticed that when I'm riding fast bumpy sweepers it doesn't wallow like my stock '12 A did. So, to the question posed by the O/P, I guess I wouldn't hesitate to buy either an A or an ES if the deal is OK.

#9 ·
Just about every reply suggests it's a personal preference and how much each individual enjoys tinkering with the settings. I can see both sides of the coin but would also suggest factoring the types of roads you personally anticipate riding the majority of the time. Long stretches of highway might have you setting up one way. Tight, decently maintained twisties might dictate another. Rougher roads such as in colder climes with stretches of frost heaves still another. Regular rides that has you seeing combinations of each I think is where the ES shines.

#18 ·
This. Riding interstate and then getting into highly technical twisties in the same ride makes one appreciate ES. I tend to keep my bikes in warranty and run them to 80-100,00 plus miles over 4-5 years or so. If I was going to keep one forever, out of warranty, I might look at another A, though I’ve never had an issue from my ES’s.

#12 ·
I was asking myself the same question and went back and forth over and over and finally decided on an A (bought Ivan's '16 FJR). I prefer the A for the reasons mentioned above.... less to go wrong when things go wrong, you can adjust the suspension to your likings more and overall it seems that once you set your suspension, you don't change it that often.

I did swap my suspension within a couple weeks of getting my bike... a Penske triple clicker on back and Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 internals. I think it's pretty safe to say that it's about as well set up suspension-wise as any FJR out there.

I do wish my A had the cornering lights as they are kinda neat looking, but not a deal breaker.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the look and performance of the USD (upside down) forks that the ES model has over the conventional, and somewhat antiquated RSU (right side up) fork setup on the A model.

This is my A model bike.... :D

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Plant

#13 ·
I looked at both A & ES versions w/both of my FJRs. Initially, I wanted the ES model, thought it would be pretty cool to have that ability to adjust the suspension on the fly. Then I thought about it because once I set my suspension, I rarely adjust it so... what's the point of the ES? Really, none for me. And then there's the additional costs at the point of purchase as well as when the parts may need to eventually be replaced. Even when I have a passenger, all I need do w/the A model is flip the handle under the seat and that always seem to work just fine.

Lots of folks freak out over suspensions, adjustability, etc. Well, I'm 5'10" & 230 and I've never bought aftermarket suspension pieces for any of my bikes in my 45+ years of riding. I also have never had my suspensions ever set up by a professional, w/proper sag and such. I simply hop on and ride, adjusting by smidges here & there w/compression, damping and rebound until I'm comfortable. Pretty much set it and forget it. YMMV.

My brother's FJR is an ES model and he loves the adjustability but this is way high tech for him so it's kind of a novelty and I'm not even sure he really knows what he's doing w/it! Either way, if two equivalent bikes were presented to me, one an A model, one an ES model, I'd still take the A model.

Good luck!
Lee

#22 ·
Hey,
Sounds as though all angles are covered here.
I too started with an "A" (2004). I put Race Tech suspension on it front & back. It made the bike very nice to ride. Of course.....you never get your money back on that kind of upgrade, but that's a given.
Now that I'm on an ES (2016), I would not consider an "A" again. I wish I could do Ohlins front & back on it....but that's not an option.

The choice always comes down to application. I live in a mountain-ness area with many twisties to ride most days. I spend little time on long hauls across flat states with little elevation to deal with. I camp off of my bike (backpack gear etc.). And, I like to haul a$$.

Getting off the bike to make an adjustment to rebound is a pain. The ES is a flick of the switch. Forest Service Roads (gravel pot holes).....flip to a soft set up, mmmmmm. Heavy load and wanna burn down a stretch of twisties...flip to hard and ride with no wishy washy feel.

The ES is not for everybody.....but then no scooter is for everybody.

Cheers,

#23 · (Edited)
I have had both an A and ES. I put 80k miles on a 2009 A with a Penske shock and GP suspension fork cartridge with a heavier spring. This after market set up dramatically improved handling and performance.

I bought a 17 ES and I am very disappointed with it. With a 680 lb spring it is under sprung for my 220 frame. You get only four rear shock preload settings and when set to the proper sag setting the rear shock is not supple in the least. So if you reduce the preload to get the shock to work you get unwanted chassis movement on demanding situations. Lord I hate ES. Think about it. A traditional shock with an adjustment nut has preload settings from 1-100. Once you fit the proper spring it works great. The ES has only 4 preload settings (4 out of 100). Plus removing the shock for servicing means removing the swing arm. Putting a stiffer spring in it with only 4 preload settings is no guarantee of improvement.

It is a shame Yamaha screwed the pooch because the 17 ES is a very fine bike less the rear shock.

#24 ·
Just curious if the A vs ES debaters here have seen this thread....

#25 ·
I have an A and am completely satisfied. I can't count the number of guys who have tinkered with settings until nothing makes them happy. Then they go to the shop for a custom adjustment and the first thing they do is set it to factory standard and poof all is well. So unless you have to have the toy to tinker with. I'd save the cash and put it into other farkels.

#28 ·
I have a 2008 A-model, a 2014 A-model, and a 2108 ES-model and use them for different purposes. The 2008 and 2014 A-models are my rally bikes, and the 2018 is my two-up bike. I do like the electronic suspension to quickly make adjustments based on weight being carried when two-up or with luggage, but other than those times I haven't really made adjustments to it so far for any other reason that would make having the electronic suspension a big deal. And the cost of replacing the rear shock is quite a bit more than on the A-model.

#29 ·
I have a 14 ES and I’ve been very satisfied with it. I change adjustments fairly frequently depending on the road surface and what kind of riding I do. I had an 06 previously and I did the Race Tech stuff with 1.1 springs and a Wilbers fully adjustable rear shock. It was really well sorted for about 25k miles until the fork bushings wore out and it started to get somewhat imprecise. When I rebuilt the fork it was better but never quite the same. The drawback with not having electronic suspension is that you have to stop and change adjustments, especially in the rear shock. If you set it up for canyon riding, it’ll beat you up on the freeway. I’m a former road racer and I did ride the bike fairly hard at times, with lots of backroads and stuff. The ES fork is a ton better than the “A” fork ever was and even better with the 1.1 springs and 7.5 weight oil I put in it. Both bikes I bought new with about 25k on the ES now. When you buy certain things they come with a cost and to me it’s worth it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.