FJR Owners Forum banner

A new rival for the FJR

15K views 49 replies 30 participants last post by  Tony Doms 
#1 ·
#4 ·
What about the new K1200GT now this maybe a worthy contender?

MCN write up:
06 K1200GT unveiled
Here are the first pictures of the all-new BMW K1200GT.
Based on the rapid K1200S, BMW has given the new version of the GT the same treatment as the old version it replaces - higher screen, wider fairing, hard luggage as standard… Only this time it's a far more powerful package.
The bike wont pull any punches with a 150bhp on tap and a massive amount of torque at 96ftlb.

Ouch looks like a good un!!

#7 ·
[/quote]

This is very interesting, Miguel, I like the looks a lot better than that staid Beemer.

Pity that Moto-Guzzi doesn't have a larger presence here in the USA, as some of their machines look very, very interesting.[/quote]

Much more good looking than the (new) BMW's. Maybe if the Guzzi has good reviews someone will do something to get them in the US.

Here in Portugal I'm sure we'll get it! But don't get me wrong: I like very much the FJR and any way, it has 50 hp more than the Norge :)

#9 ·
Norge

The new Guzzi Norge appears to be a very interesting design, visually. While a bit "busy" it is cohesive with what appear in the pics to be very nicely sculpted surfaces...definate eye candy in that bike's shape!

While way down on power compared to a FJR I would suspect that a good rider could hustle the Norge quite rapidly. Of course its (presumed..)higher price and lack of dealers don't do much for me compared to the value-even tho the '06 has dropped some there-and dealer support base for the more powerful FJR. Now if only my '06 A was here. To add insult to injury I occassionally see my '03 and her current owner riding...oh sigh.....DFO :(

#10 ·
I saw both bikes in the flesh at the recent Milan show in Italy on a trade day. The BMW created a huge amount of interest, so much so, that I had to fight to get close to it due to TV cameras and all the worlds press trying to snap it, and yes the girlie was as nice as she looks in the pic ;o)
The Guzzi was gorgeous and really looked much more up market than previous models, but can't help feeling the 'quality' is still not there, chrome, electrics and so on, but as somebody mentioned earlier, nice eye candy.

http://www.rampantmcc.co.uk/runs/milan_141105/images/Resize of PB156404.JPG

Malki

#12 ·
Like the the look of the Guzzi, but I dont think it will be a serious contender here in UK, With only 90bhp, and at 250Kg, I think lack of power will be an issue. I do think however, the BMW GT will give the FJR a run for its money, BMW have indicated it will make more than 150bhp, it will have electronic suspension adjustment as an optional extra, adjustable bars and seat, and I would expect the finnish to be better, for me, it will all come down to price, I will definately be keeping an eye on it for the future.

#14 ·
sherlock said:
Like the the look of the Guzzi, but I dont think it will be a serious contender here in UK, With only 90bhp, and at 250Kg, I think lack of power will be an issue. I do think however, the BMW GT will give the FJR a run for its money.

Speed is not everything: comfort, reliability, a good torque curve and, the last but not the least, aesthetics. On this issue I think BMW failed since the 1150RT: too much plastic and "square" lines. I really don't like them. Italian used to determine the pace on the design department; I think this new Norge is a hit on this matter. If it is comfy and reliable, I think we'll have a new contender on the sport touring market. Just an opinion any way...

#15 ·
The Guzzi looks like MG took a Breva 1100 as a base and added full fairings. Nice looking bike. Not a lot of power -- so pretty but boring. MG built an ultra modern factory before being bought out by Piaggio. Looks like they are putting it to good use.
The new BMW 1200 GT is a bit slab sided for me and is probably in the $20.000 range.
I will stay with the FJR

#16 ·
I think the BMTroubleyou is fuggly, and in any case, I was cured of them many years ago. but the Guzzi is a beauty. My only concern with the Guzzi is, how much heat would you get on your legs. I know it's not a serious problem with an unfaired Guzzi, but the fairing looks as if it may concentrate the heat.

#18 ·
arkninjazx9 said:
FINALLY !!!! now we start the horsepower wars in the ST niche (thanks to the K1200RT)

cant wait for the 180 horse FJR baby !
I don't think we have here an horse power war: of course there will be always someone that if there is a 300 hp something will throw away a 200 hp one. But with all those radars - and road dangers - out there, who cares about a GT bike with more than 150 hp? Reliabilty and comfort on long rides are the issue because speed and torque we already got.

The Guzzi Norge brought to the table something that was forgoten: good looking bikes with some criativity on it. The new BMW GT? No thanks! I don't like those side "buckets", the lower "tupperware" and everything else that reminds to me that those guys from Munich are with a critativity problem.

#19 ·
well........my FJR needs 220 horses.....jump straight up off the ground and disapear in a flash like the USS Enterprise goin to light speed....

notice how quickly i went from 180 to 220..... :lol:

no offence miguel ....dont know if you get the TV show Tool Time in your neighborhood....but Tim the Toolman has it right (insert grunting noises here)

#22 ·
Well according to this:
Norge 1200. Moto Guzzi ricomincia da Capo. Nord.
La Gran Turismo del ventunesimo secolo è nata, naturalmente, a Mandello del Lario. L'omaggio alla progenitrice non è solo nel nome: i concetti di protezione e di comfort assoluti sono stati semplicemente tradotti in un linguaggio contemporaneo e tecnologicamente aggiornato.
Norge 1200 ha un design elegante e dinamico, un'eccellente ergonomia e abitabilità, un interasse ridotto che la rende competitiva anche nel traffico. Dinamica e scattante, Norge 1200 è una Gran Turismo moderna, che fa della versatilità un vero e proprio punto di forza, perché attraversa centri abitati e distese sconfinate con la stessa disinvoltura
the Norge 1200 ought to be one whiz-bang bike! But my italian is a little rusty...

#23 ·
For the Guzzi crowd, the die hards, they now have a pretty modern looking sport touring bike. The hard luggage and fairing look pretty good, but the chrome bar mounted mirrors? Get with the plan here. To address the thread title.... there is no match here, no new rival for the FJR. Those who would buy a MG would probably not even try a Yamaha, its against their religion.
As far as the new BMW is concerned, value will always be in Yamaha's court, but if more power is what the market dictates Yamaha will surely eclipse the beemer. My bet will be further refinements on the current platform, such as we have seen in the up coming '06. and leaving the power where it is.

#26 ·
New Rival?

Guys,

Geez, the BMr looks tall, the front fairing I mean. They could name it the "Massif or Mastif." Does it look that big in person? The bike probably weighs less than the FJR, but the FJ looks very slim. The slimness, and wind turbulence, comes from the rather small front fairing.

I'll take the slim look over the massive cowling.

In San Diego,
BAGSTR

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.