FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm 63 with lymphoma and take a daily chemo pill (no pity party please :D ). Was never real athletic guy, meaning strength, stamina, speed, etc. but always played sports, retired from softball at 60. Plenty of hockey in my younger days.

I just spent a week in the hospital with pneumonia from COVID. I dropped 21 pounds in 2 weeks. I'd like to build myself up a bit better than before. Not looking to run marathons or lift cars over my head. Just get "healthy".

I have an elliptical and a Total Gym in the basement I plan on using regularly now. What's the best approach? A little cardio on the elliptical then some light weight repetition? Do I have it backwards? Workout every other day?

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR1300A
1,259 Posts
1) Take some yoga classes. You would be amazed how much they help with strength and balance
2) Consider getting some personal training from a trainer that works with older people

Too easy to hurt yourself by just tossing yourself into a workout without a little outside help

·
Registered
595 Posts
Sorry about the obstacles you’ve have to overcome man. For weight gain, you want to keep cardio down to maybe 3 times a week for 1/2 hour per. Eat a lot of protein and healthy carbs (of course with lots of veggies too). Hit the resistance training every day. Doesn’t have to be freeweights, can even just be with your own bodyweight if you want…but more resistance training than cardio for sure. Try to pick a muscle group or two a day and smash them till they fail. Chest/biceps, back/triceps, shoulders/stomach. That’s sort of the Arnold way…

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1) Take some yoga classes. You would be amazed how much they help with strength and balance
2) Consider getting some personal training from a trainer that works with older people

Too easy to hurt yourself by just tossing yourself into a workout without a little outside help

I did do Tai Chi many many moons ago. Classes are a good idea but not practical for me. I have to limit myself to exposure to others. I was vaccinated and still almost bought the farm last week because I'm immuno-suppressed with underlying issues. I can't take those chances.

Reactions: Whoops and Oldjeep

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR1300A
1,259 Posts
I did do Tai Chi many many moons ago. Classes are a good idea but not practical for me. I have to limit myself to exposure to others. I was vaccinated and still almost bought the farm last week because I'm immuno-suppressed with underlying issues. I can't take those chances.
In terms of classes, a lot of places are still doing zoom based classes. My wife has stopped providing remote yoga/pilates/personal training for now since she really hasn't seen enough demand to keep it up since her in person stuff is all full - but other are. One of the local studios is still doing about 50% zoom training.

Opinions vary on weight lifting, I've never been much for picking stuff up that doesn't need to be moved.

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
I have been taking a weekly Pilates class for the last 1.5 years and I must say that my core has never been stronger. I no longer tire while riding my FJR for hours at a time. Highly recommended.

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In terms of classes, a lot of places are still doing zoom based classes. My wife has stopped providing remote yoga/pilates/personal training for now since she really hasn't seen enough demand to keep it up since her in person stuff is all full - but other are. One of the local studios is still doing about 50% zoom training.

Opinions vary on weight lifting, I've never been much for picking stuff up that doesn't need to be moved.
Actually I didn't think of online stuff. Thanks for the tips.

Obviously brain far from normal still. LOL

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
Glad you're recovering Whooshka.

I have a regimen involving bicycling, running, weights and calisthenics on a revolving schedule. But honestly, as I've advised SO many people in my circles... a good, vigorous WALKING regimen can do wonders for almost anyone.

It's painless (unless you have bad feet), and you can get in a good habit that just makes you feel better. If you can do a good vigorous walk for 30 minutes every day (or most days), you'll be amazed at how your endurance will improve and you'll FEEL LIKE doing additional exercises. Throw in a podcast or good music and you'll enjoy the time.

My doctor chuckles at me racing motorbikes, but swears that for guys my age, bulk and weights are not my friend, but good cardio and staying lean IS. As I'm trying to stay with younger guys on the track or in enduros, I think he's right.

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR1300A
1,259 Posts
One more thought if you do any sort of in person or remote class. Make sure the instructor actually has some professional training, especially if you have health/injury concerns. It takes hundreds of hours of training to become certified to teach Yoga or Pilates (and thousands of dollars). A lot of that training is around not hurting people ;) There are a lot of folks running around who have had no formal training teaching classes, especially through community ed type programs. (My wife does actually teach some community ed, but they have her credentials listed with the classes)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Sounds oddly familiar. On CellCept for at least the next 9-10 months as part of an immunosuppressive treatment regimen. Thought I might be able to ride this summer, but nope. Being around others is very high risk for me under the circumstances even with 6 months of inoculations/immunizations, especially when COVID is on the loose. Born with asthma, had pneumonia 10+ times in my life, obstructive sleep apnea, and to top it off my dumb ass smoked for ten years back when I was “invincible”. As it turns out, I guess I wasn’t, just obtuse. Add to that degenerative disc disease, numerous epidurals and medial branch ablations and I finally get how fragile the body is.

I would clear whatever exercise routine you plan on with your doctor, just to be safe. For me, I have to be careful not to wear myself down since it can make me more vulnerable to infections. Not sure if chemo has the same impact, but it isn’t worth risking further impairment. The body just doesn’t heal like it did when you were younger. Exercising to the point of muscle exhaustion could be a bad idea. Whatever you do, just be careful. Make sure you keep you around for as long as possible, especially if you have family. There are no mulligans. Good luck and stay safe so you can get back in the saddle!

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR1300A
1,259 Posts
But it sure would be nice to be able to pick up your bike by yourself if you drop it.
I can do that without issue. That is all about technique. a 120lb woman can lift a fullsized bike up. Make sure you have crash bars and luggage guards and it'll be even easier

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Hospital :( so it did hit you more then me 3 weeks ago, the worst for me was 3-4 days of heavy dry cough, some fever and muscle weakness, but thankfully no hospital...I attribute a quick recovery to 2 doses of Pfeizer and my general fitness. And of course staying off of junk food and drinks for 95% of my life. Hard to resist that Costco $1.50 hotdog combo 😂, but enough about my Covid survival and back to you:

As already suggested starting some fitness on your own may do some unexpected damage to your body, so take it slow. As far as gaining weight, just go to Costco and McDonald's 3 times a day 😂...of course not, jk.
suggestions I can give you:
  • If you didn't yet then: "Learn how to cook" (I did and it's fun way to control what you eat)
  • Get a dog, great reason to go for long walks once or twice daily
  • Get one of these rowing machines, next best thing to swimming, where most of your body gets "Low impact" exercise, (I have mine for about 5yrs now, and I did setup a TV c/w Roku and watch MotoGP and other streaming media at the same time, which makes the exercise part much easier.
Font Publication Art Poster Pattern

I also picked up one of these BowFlex torture machines, but tbh is just sitting there right next to my treadmill. The rowing machine does everything I need to keep my fitness in check.
Font Parallel Poster Circle Engineering

So "Get better soon" eat healthy and do some exercises (anything...even sex), and don't forget to ride (y);) cheers

·
Registered
204 Posts
Consider getting some personal training from a trainer that works with older people

Fully agree with the above. I would also suggest talking to a nutritionist. I have one in the family along with two that regularly compete in Ironmans (on my wife's side, definitely not mine :D) and conversations with her are pretty enlightening.

·
Registered
381 Posts
So I'm 63 with lymphoma and take a daily chemo pill (no pity party please :D ). Was never real athletic guy, meaning strength, stamina, speed, etc. but always played sports, retired from softball at 60. Plenty of hockey in my younger days.

I just spent a week in the hospital with pneumonia from COVID. I dropped 21 pounds in 2 weeks. I'd like to build myself up a bit better than before. Not looking to run marathons or lift cars over my head. Just get "healthy".

I have an elliptical and a Total Gym in the basement I plan on using regularly now. What's the best approach? A little cardio on the elliptical then some light weight repetition? Do I have it backwards? Workout every other day?
Yes, warm up then add the stretching and weight work out. A Total Gym is excellent for stretching. Stretch and hold a 30sec and work up to 60sec. Don’t forget your Core.

I’m also 63 and a recent illness helped me drop 20lbs, I’ve also took the opportunity to get back in shape and gotten back into cycling, due to nerve related issues I was unable to sit on a bicycle seat but I’m loving my recumbent trike.
Good luck!
Cloud Wheel Bicycle Sky Tire

·
Registered
920 Posts

over time most every protocol will work

the body is resilient.............

determine resting heart rate.............excercise 20-30 min to determine excercise heart rate

after a few mins that heart rate will drop 20-30 points

Ur target heart rate to lower

all 3 important to keep track of

after a couple weeks both Ur max & target rates will reduce

·
Registered
98 VFR800, 2013A
80 Posts
I walk every day. Right about 3 miles or so. I need to add something else in the mix especially with winter coming up.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Yes, warm up then add the stretching and weight work out. A Total Gym is excellent for stretching. Stretch and hold a 30sec and work up to 60sec. Don’t forget your Core.

I’m also 63 and a recent illness helped me drop 20lbs, I’ve also took the opportunity to get back in shape and gotten back into cycling, due to nerve related issues I was unable to sit on a bicycle seat but I’m loving my recumbent trike.
Good luck!
View attachment 81723
Crazy design of that trike, chain is running inside some pipe 👍

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000 CBF1000 VFR800
9,323 Posts
Lots of good advice here....... I'll only add that keep the weight down, it will take a load off all the hips/back/knee joints and with a little strengthening/flexibility of those muscles, you'll feel much better. Once I lost 30lbs., things just get easier.

Reactions: kyote and Whooshka

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I walk every day. Right about 3 miles or so. I need to add something else in the mix especially with winter coming up.
Popular "sport" here in Canada in the cold winter, is you drive to a big shopping mall, and then just do laps, easy to do a few miles / inside / heated / short sleeves...and you can even grab a salad in the Food fair section. Win-win :)

For those of you "Non canadians/americans here is THE North American "shopping mall" :
Building Rectangle Urban design Landscape Residential area
Plant Organism Font Biome Line

1 - 20 of 29 Posts