FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My recent skip down a gravel road on my DL1000 made me think maybe I should consider a smaller, lighter bike for my more serious unpaved outings so I bought a 2001 DR650 with just 6000 miles on it. I'm driving to Arkansas tomorrow to pick it up. Long day, 400 miles down, load the bike, 400 miles back.

The two guys I ride with most have a DRZ400S and a KLR so the DR will be a better match for them. We're all new to the unpaved stuff and we don't really have any intention of riding any serious dirt so I think we'll do just fine.

It costs me over $3 a day to drive my truck to work, so I ordered a rack and will use the 650 for a handy commuter when the weather permits. That should reduce the overall cost of my second bike and perhaps make the transaction a bit more palatable to you-know-who. (Enter emoticon of wife with raised brow and tapping foot here.)

And I still have my DL1000 to ride across statelines without worrying whether those lines on the map are paved or not. 8)

So should I wait until we get the gas-card bill to tell Kitty Lips? Or just let her put 2 & 2 together when I pull in the driveway with the bike in the back of the truck? :?

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
Tell 'er to get used to it, or you're going to roost the hell out of her flower bed. 8)

(and then try to find an apartment) ;)

Congrats on the bike.

:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
:| What I wanna know is if you are in the "Dog House" who is in charge?? You or the Dog (if they will share the space)??? It ook me weeks to get rid of the flea's.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
I'm for any addition to the fleet. The DR650 will be waaayyy better than the 400 for street use. I just sold my KLR to my nephew while I lick my wounds. The mileage was getting close too 16,000 and I didn't see a use for it in the near future. I'll look for an 05 or 06 next year. Enjoy your new toy.

I forgot you can always tell her it's a Mothers Day gift.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
She is going to retire June 2nd and she's been telling everyone she wants to get a Harley. Maybe I should have tied a big pink bow on it. When I told her I had bought the bike the hair on her back stood up but in a few days she'll be looking for a belly rub again. :D

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tried to tie a bow around it but I ran out of ribbon. 8)

·
Registered
16 Posts
The real question here is , What is she going to go get when she finds out?

Mark

I'm with Fastwally on the forgiveness over permission.

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
I still can't figure how a pink ribbon around his belly is going to help his cause. :?

;)

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ah... to be among friends. Nice to know you fellas have my back. 8)

·
Registered
223 Posts
Hey amain, check this out. He lowered the price to $200.

I have a Corbin dual canyon sport seat that fits both the DL650 and DL1000 V-Strom bikes. This seat was purchased in February '06 and I still have the warranty card for a purchaser. I am asking $300 + shipping for the seat.

Or I would consider a trade with a Corbin for a ST1300.

[email protected]

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I bought a used Corbin for $275 with only about 2000 miles on it but it is so wide my feet are on tippy toes. I got a junk stock seat and some nice foam and I'm going to try to make my own custom. It will be narrower in the front and WAY lighter. That Corbin weighs a ton!

If I do well with the DL1000, I'll try the same technique on the DR650.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Yea I found the same thing on mine, wide and heavy....but so am I :( I'm just lucky to have long enough legs to deal with it. Don't know if I would on a strom though. I do like the way they spread the weight on the road tho. Just picked up an oem seat off of ebay for my bud and he is doing the same thing you are.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts