FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

My wife, her friend and I are taking about 9 days to travel to the US around the second week of July. We are from Oakville (Near Toronto) in Ontario. We are thinking about coming down relatively directly and doing the tail of the dragon and then making our way back up closer to the coast. The Smokey Mountain Highway sounds very interesting. We would like to stay in bed and breakfasts and do lots of riding.

We are looking for beautiful scenery and curves. We are checking the internet and starting to build our route. We would really appreciate any suggestion on roads or routes that we should take.

Thaks you very much in advance for your help

Pistonhead

·
Registered
136 Posts
Pistonhead,

I think Rt 219 in West Virginia is just the road you are looking for. Runs north to south from the Maryland border to 'western' Virginia. Then a short ride will have you in North Carolina.

One word of warning. Avoid Gatlinburg, TN like the plague. The traffic during the summer months is horrible. I ended up risking a ticket and lane splitting for many miles just to get out of there. Besides it is Niagara Falls in the mountains. If you are looking for tacky you can find it a lot closer to home! :)

gypsy

·
Registered
405 Posts
If you get into Vermont, I would suggest picking up Rte 100 in the south, just over the Mass. border around Readsboro and running North to 100A, then East to 14 at White River Junction. North on 14 most of the way to the border, switching over to 5 South of Newport, then a short run to Newport and Derby Line, back into Canada. Beautiful, lots of curves and little towns, and if you run it mid-week, you can miss a lot of the tourist traffic which can be so slow you want to tear your hair out. VT is a helmet state. Derby Line is not a busy crossing point, last time I used it, about 2 weeks ago, took less than 5 minutes. Have a nice ride......

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks

Thanks for all the help... we have a great route planned... heading for the Tail of the Dragon via the mountains.

One of you suggested MS Streets and Trips... wow great tool for planning a route.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.