FJR Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I have a 2020 with about 7000 miles on it and I am getting ready to do my first cross-country ride. One way it’s about 3500 miles round-trip. I am anticipating 8000 I called the dealership to ask about the 8000 mile service and he said it was going to be $700! He advised that it is a 6.6 hour job plus parts. He advised that the most labor-intensive aspect is changing the spark plugs… Do I really need to change the spark plugs on this bike at 8000 miles? I can change my own oil but the spark plugs I don’t know how to do unfortunately and don’t want to risk doing something new right before a cross country ride . Any advice would be most welcome. Thank you in advance!

· Registered
2013 FJR1300A, 2003 FZ1 "Bee"
804 Posts
My experience and opinion is nope ! Don't toucha de plugs.
Best thing is to check your owners manual versus what the dealer is telling you. Pretty sure spark plugs just get a "check mark" every 10,000 miles and don't show to be changed until 20k.
But that is going from memory, so again, refer to your O/M. FWIW, plugs got changed at 50k and 100k in my '13. Looked almost new each time.

· Premium Member
2,299 Posts
Sounds like a $700 oil change to me. Just what exactly are they spending 6 and a half hours labor on? If the labor rate is close to $100 per hour like around here, that's $50 for parts.

· Registered
371 Posts
I changed my sparkplugs when I do a valve check @ 25k miles. No need to change them at 8K miles. Change your motor and diff oil. If it has been two years replace and bleed your clutch and brake fluid. Check your coolant level, Visually check the bike over for any thing out of the ordinary and then GO RIDE.

· Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
11,859 Posts
I changed my sparkplugs when I do a valve check @ 25k miles. No need to change them at 8K miles. Change your motor and diff oil. If it has been two years replace and bleed your clutch and brake fluid. Check your coolant level, Visually check the bike over for any thing out of the ordinary and then GO RIDE.
What Chuck says...... this is all that's necessary...... 4 of those hours are likely drinking coffee and eating donuts, jeez. Can't imagine what they are doing.......

Reactions: Whooshka

· Registered
82 Posts
I've got 40k km on mine, haven't changed plugs. I've rarely found an improvement ever doing so. Only time was this old Kawasaki sled, real reason was carbs fouling plugs. With fuel injection, doubt really anybody needs to.

· Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
10,078 Posts
Based on my 140K miles '07 and 52K miles '13, I think 25K miles is a good number to replace them at. Like others have posted, that's about when I'll do the valve check & coolant replacement.

· Registered
371 Posts
This is how far in the machine one needs to go to change the Plugs. Then just a few more steps and a valve check can be done. also while one is in there that far might as well to a coolant change and radiator clean. Then finish off with a Throttle Body sync. Back to the original question, change the plugs when a valve check is due.

Hood Automotive design Vehicle Automotive air manifold Personal luxury car
Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Auto part Automotive air manifold
Motor vehicle Gas Automotive exterior Auto part Radiator
Automotive design Interior design Automotive tire Curtain Motor vehicle

· Registered
212 Posts
Agree with above posts.
I have a 2017 ES with 20,000 miles (32,000 Km).
Still on the original spark plugs and running as smooth as ever.
Consider coolant and brake / clutch fluid flush and replacement, final drive gear oil change, and go enjoy your trip!
Cheers,
Daniel

Reactions: Carbide

· Premium Member
2,299 Posts
Save the $700. Change your own oil and diff fluid. Throw on some fresh rubber and budget for tires on your way home.

Reactions: natsmada4fjr

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Fantastic- I’m gonna forget the plugs. Sounds like it’s an absolute waste of money based on commentary from a crowns more knowledgeable than most dealers quite frankly. I’ll do final drive and engine oil myself and get clutch, brake fluid flushed and replaced. Thanks much. As always great advice!

· Premium Member
2,299 Posts
............. and get clutch, brake fluid flushed and replaced. Thanks much. As always great advice!
Flushing/bleeding those lines are easy too. There is a "proper" procedure, but still easy. Do a search here and you'll see it's a 1 hour job. Where are you located? There may be a board member nearby willing to help.

· Registered
2020 FJR 1300ES
35 Posts
I have 2020 as well with 8565miles on it and did all fluids change last weekend + new tires + air filter + lube levers/pedals.

Also changed spark plugs to NGK but mostly because I got them on special last summer and they were just lying in my box of spare parts. Literally took me 30 min to do that, including fast watch youtube on how to do that. I'm not planning to touch them for next 50K miles. BTW manual says to do that every 8K, but I see no meaning except making Yamaha dealer more happy to collect extra cash.

But honestly, the only thing it really needed was oil change I just had nothing else to do during long weekend.
Tire Automotive fuel system Wheel Fuel tank Automotive tire
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Vehicle
Light Automotive tire Liquid Fluid Automotive lighting

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wow - I wish I had your skills Alex!!! I live in the DC area (Fairfax county). I’d love to learn how to do this if someone is knowledgeable and willing to show me! Please note- will require patience haha!

· Premium Member
2,299 Posts
Wow - I wish I had your skills Alex!!! I live in the DC area (Fairfax county). I’d love to learn how to do this if someone is knowledgeable and willing to show me! Please note- will require patience haha!
Youtube has plenty of how to videos for the FJR. Here's a few. These videos are just to get you familiar on what to expect. The guy is not a mechanic. Example, on the rear drive you'd want to remove the fill plug first. If it was siezed and could not come off you'd have drained the fluid with no way to fill it to get it to a shop.. And he talks too much LOL..

oil change ---> (8) How To Change The Oil On A Motorcycle Yamaha FJR 1300 ES - YouTube (unfortunately a 27 minute video which is 10 minutes longer than to actually do the job)

brake fluid flush -----> (8) How To Front And Rear FJR1300 Brake Fluid Flush - YouTube

clutch fluid -----> (8) How To Flush The FJR1300 Clutch Fluid - YouTube

This ain't rocket surgery. Seek and ye shall find.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts