FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my third FJR, and I often make changes to my bike especially when advised on this site by those (much ) cleverer than me. My only slight moan on my 06 was it felt a bit vibey here and there, and especially over 6k, and in my opinion was a little fluttery just off a closed throttle, so I thought i'd see if the fuel injection menu was the same as the previous 01 and 04 i've had ( both of which ran much nicer after the +7 mod ) low and behold, it is. we all know, these things are set up sooooooo lean these days so I noted all the standard settings, and did the all up 7, Blimey what a difference !! i know that even up 7 is probably a small increment but the vibes are down 80%+, very low rpm responce is instant and decisive, and there is no low speed ( heavy traffic) surge or hesitation.
I am NOT saying on standard settings my bike was bad but this mod worked out by some very clever guys some time ago STILL makes a very real difference to smoothing out the downsides of very lean running which I suspect is how the have to leave the factory. write down the standard settings ( for returning to if you want ) and give it a go, you will NOT regret it.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Yeh Waldi...tells us more mate. I'm very interested to see how mine responds to +7. I must agree with you about the vibes.....thought I was a bit fussy :oops:
Is the above proceedure the same....can you fill us in please? and what settings were yours set at?

All these questions....You've opened up a can of worms

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was the same proceedure as this link above. mine were all different ( very normal ) some were a minus figure ( again normal ) it was something like No1 @ -11, No 2 @ 5, No 3 @ 11, No 4 @ 13. this from memory is roughly where they were as standard. so the -11 goes up to -4, the 5 goes up to 12 etc etc. I can tell you that certainly my bike feels ALOT better for it.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I just checked mine and they are as follows:

01 -10
02 8
03 8
04 11

I will leave them alone for a while - until the bike has finished running in - maybe I'll have a play after that. I do get some vibes at 4,000rpm which slightly blurs the RH mirror. SO, it will be interesting to see if that goes when I mod it.

Alan

·
Registered
88 Posts
I've done 8,00 miles on mine with std settings, adjusted today at lunch time and will see if I notice any difference tonight going home.

I've started to notice the surging a bit lately so hopefully it will be fixed a bit.

Let you know tomorrow.

Leigh (LSD)

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
So the jumper mod and everything is the same? Looking forward to seeing if LSD can repeat Waldy's success.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
The UK spec bikes don't need the jumper, at least not on the 01/02 models I've had. Waldy says he used the same method as on his 01 and 04 so I guess its the same for all years here. It's all done via the dashboard.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
On the US bikes we had to make a jumper switch in one of the harness plugs before we could even access the CO adjustments mode.

·
Registered
88 Posts
The ride last night and this morning confirms that going +7 does reduce the vibes (a lot), especially at the lower rev's.
Also feels smoother in accelerating.

Still have the surging (very small but noticable) so need to investigate what's going on (Balance/Blocked pipe/Take up the slack ...etc)

So, if you can easliy make the +7 changes, its worth doing.

LSD

·
Registered
88 Posts
Had the Sync checked at 600 miles and was OK. It was serviced at 6000 miles so assume everthing was checked.

I've got a set of Morgan Carbtunes so may check it out this weekend.

The bike feels completely different since the +7 mod, no familar vibes - just feels odd :? like I'm riding another bike.

Leigh

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'd beware of the jumper mod in an 06. I've had mine apart to add horns and lights and noted the 06 has a different wiring layout and different pinouts here and there. The ecu harness may indeed be the same ... I've just noticed differences in other places, so recommend caution.

I wonder if I run slightly richer anyway, due to being at altitude?

·
Registered
1 Posts
It actually works that you have to lean the mixture with higher altitude... As you would do in a light aircraft for instance.

Jason.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Jimbemotumbo said:
I wonder if I run slightly richer anyway, due to being at altitude?
Don't know if the FJR uses an air pressure sensor but doesn't the O2 sensor in the exhaust have an overall adjustment function that reacts indirectly to air density (temp and baro pressure / altitude) and mixture via the sensed emissions. I may not be understanding the full functionality of the std systems but I thought there was some loss of mixture control sensitivity for varying air density when the O2 sensor was disabled or disconnected with the use of a PowerCommander.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Found out what was causing the surging (well some of it)

1. One of the tank breather pipes was getting a bit crushed via the main stand, not sure if this was happening when the stand was up but could not pull on the pipe to make it move. -
Rerouted, not so close to the ground now so should pick up less dust - Blasted with an air line.

2. Out of Sync, Cyl 1 low, 4 High (about 25 cmH (what ever the units are)), when the book says "all within 10".
Resync - all nice and flat. At 3,000 RPM, number 4 cylinder is higher than the rest, need to read up on the unofficial throttle sync and redo (Ran out of time today)

3). Have an AudioVox cruise control system fitted and checked that, sucking on the vac tub (cyl 1) did not give any lasting suction, Everything looked OK, the one-way valve was a bit cloudy, Petrol fumes attacking the plastic ?
Remove the valve, turn it over and find a small hole - Nuts (Not sure how long it's been like this - Weak mixture anyone :shock: ). Looks like its rubbed on something, but it sits in an empty space, does not touch anything.
Put and new one in (still plastic) - will need to check more often.

Bit like London buses - three at the same time.

Got to take out for a ride later, meeting some Belgium Club FJRiders, over here for a few days, so will see what a difference, all the above makes.

BTW. Also changed all the suspension settings, found the bike dived too much when braking.

Leigh

·
Registered
949 Posts
That valve housing looks like it has been in contact with a solvent that has attacked / dissolved it. Fuel or something in the fuel like toluene - a commonly added "filler" ?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Does anyone know if the 04 jumper mod is the same for the 06? Has anyone in the US done this for their 2006 FJR? Thanks. :?[/quote] I've done the jumper mod to my 06. The jumper is on pin #23 And #29. It needs to go from #23 to #25. #29 stays put. Otherwise just follow the instructions for an 03. I have staintune pipes without the baffles, and went +9 on all 4 cyls, Much smoother, and I'm getting about 38 mpg around town, 40+ on the road at 80-85 mph. Also the engine runs a bar cooler.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts