FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just pickied up my 06 from the 600 mile service. The dealer used 10-40 Golden Spectro. The manual says 20-40. Should I be concerned?

·
Registered
7,358 Posts
joecbr1100 said:
Should I be concerned?
I wouldn't be. It's my second favorite oil... and I found it to really smooth out shifts on a big thumper I had. The weight thing wouldn't matter to me one bit.

Now, I take it they also changed the 'pumpkin juice' as well? (final drive oil)

:) - on bikini patrol in FL

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Liquidsilver said:
joecbr1100 said:
Should I be concerned?
I wouldn't be. It's my second favorite oil... and I found it to really smooth out shifts on a big thumper I had. The weight thing wouldn't matter to me one bit.

Now, I take it they also changed the 'pumpkin juice' as well? (final drive oil)

thanks - sounds good to me. Wonder why Yamaha specifies 20-40 and why the manual doesn't have the typical range of weights and ambient temperature chart?

You are reading my mind . The first thing I did was check the service charges to see if it included a charge for the rear drive fluid - which of course it did not. I'm going to see if there is any evidence that it's been changed. If I'm not satisfied, I'll just do it myself. I have prepaid maintenance agreement with the dealer. The charges do include 2.5 hours of labor - so I'm hoping they found time to change it.

·
Registered
7,358 Posts
They should have. The spec oil is expensive, and called for, after the initial 600 miles. I also wonder if they used the 20-dollars-a-pint, FJR-specific oil. I'd probably be more picky about that.

·
Registered
7,358 Posts
Nahh, Mrs. One-Piece doesn't share the same fondness. ;)

·
Registered
192 Posts
600 mile service

send us some pictures of any suspects you find while on patrol

·
Registered
7,358 Posts
Re: 600 mile service

number2 said:
send us some pictures of any suspects you find while on patrol
Sorry, these are all I've got.

Too busy sucking in my gut when they walk by to take a picture.

This is me beach scoot...

:) on bikini patrol in FL

·
Registered
7,358 Posts
Camera phone. Actually, the weather has been perfect. Santa Rosa Island. Smack dab between NAS Pensacola and Eglin AFB. On a quiet night, you can hear the sweet and tender sounds of things blowing up. But the sand's as white as sugar, and you can count your toes under the clear water while in chest-deep. There are few houses on this island, and about half of them were damaged or destroyed by two hurricanes in two years, but the rental I'm in is in good shape, and totally refurbished.

I see lots of bikes down here, no sport-tourers... just cruisers and sports. An FJR in this neighborhood would be as useful as an Indy car in a traffic jam.

At least there are bikinis. :D

·
Registered
122 Posts
joecbr1100 said:
I just pickied up my 06 from the 600 mile service. The dealer used 10-40 Golden Spectro. The manual says 20-40. Should I be concerned?
Apologies if this is a dumb question, but are any of the oils you guys have mentioned in this thread Synthetic or all petroleum based? I am a big fan of Synthetic oils, and am planning on running this in my new FJR after the initial 1,500 miles (following the MotoMan break-in procedures).
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
http://www.micapeak.com/bike/FJR1300/breakin.html

·
Registered
7,358 Posts
I believe the Golden Spectro mentioned above is a semi-synthetic. Full synthetics I hear guys talking about most are Rotella Synthetic and Mobil1 Red Cap (20w50 - no friction modifiers).

Internationally; Motul, Silkolene, and Repsol all offer full-synthetics, if you like that flavor.

I have yet to try the BelRay full synthetic... I think I'm going to give it a go next time, because my old favorite Mobil1 MX4T is getting darn hard to find... and you can't buy it online (that I know of).

:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts