FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This new 06 FJR is my first street Yamaha. I am long time rider of many brands. Now that I'm 51, wanted something to sport tour on. Was also looking at BMW, and Honda.

Any way, the first 500 mile impression:

Bike is very powerful and very torquey.

The set up from the dealership was not very good, so being ex mechanic, I went over everything.

Bike stops very well, however I feel the rear brake is somewhat weak. I figure this to be the linked braking.

For a somewhat heavy bike, it handles well, and feels 100 lbs lighter once moving. Kind of a bear to move around your driveway esp. with full tank of gas.

I am still breaking it in, and keeping it under 4500 rpm and notice only the slightest vibration through the seat and bars. Going to use some liquid Bar Snake to quell the handlebar vibes.

Heat is somewhat noticeable, but nothing you cant live with. I feel it may get better as it breaks in.

Entire motorcycle feels very "tight" and again I think will get better with some miles.

Stock windshield is good, but a lot of wind noise. I may consider a larger shield. For now, ear plugs fix the problem. Whistles at low speeds and really howls on the highway.

I am 6'1" and 190 lbs with 34 inseam. As far as fit, even with these long legs, bike is kind of hard to flat foot due to width of seat. Bars are ok,and I have adjusted them to be closest to me. Considering risers, but I think I need higher AND closer to be really comfy.

Throttle will give your right wrist a good workout. I am hoping springs get loose with miles.

Seat is comfy for me, but would prefer a bit narrower at the nose.

Overall I feel it is a very good motorcycle and I'm glad I went with the Yamaha. I think this FJR will end up being one of, if not the best motorcycle I ever owned. Time will tell.

Given the current crop of motorcycles on the market today, if I had to pick one bike to take on a long trip and still have to use it locally, it would be this Yamaha.

Ride safe,
Billy

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
czguybilly said:
I am still breaking it in, and keeping it under 4500 rpm
read that part of your manual again, it doesn't say to keep it below 4500 rpm. If you're not careful, you'll teach your bike to be a pussy in its formative miles. :wink:

·
Registered
531 Posts
20valves said:
czguybilly said:
I am still breaking it in, and keeping it under 4500 rpm
read that part of your manual again, it doesn't say to keep it below 4500 rpm. If you're not careful, you'll teach your bike to be a pussy in its formative miles. :wink:
Ya, the key is to avoid "sustained" high-RPM operation during breakin. It really needs to briefly experience full load and RPM early on. Its a bit late, but I would still do the oil change now and start hitting it hard through the gears giving it 5 minute breaks between WOT runs. I was flogging mine at 2 miles and after 18K its very smooth all the way to redline w/ oil level coming down about 1/3-1/2 way through the sightglass on a 5K mile OCI. No worries.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I do now and then give it the whip, but for the most part, I am varying the rpms so as not to keep in at one steady rpm to avoid "wear patterns".

Trouble is, I live in Nortern NJ and there is so much traffic, even running her up to 6k rpm in 5 th is pretty limited. And that has to be done late at night, and of course, you are sitting duck for a speeding ticket. Or God forbid, a deer walks out in front of you.

So I'm not woosing her, but do keep sustained rpm under 4500.

4500 rpm is really fast for traffic here . During my commute, I am lucky if I can get her over 50 mph for any reasonable time.

Today, on the HIGHWAY....my fans came on in the stop and go.

Thats just one reason I will be relocating to Florida this fall. I saw many really nice roads there with much less traffic. Besides, I'll get to ride my FJR all year there.

Last house hunting trip I took to Florida, I drove my rental car from Ft Lauderdale to Orlando on Florida Turnpike. Now THAT would have been a great FJR ride. (bet I would have shaved some time off the three 1/2 hour trip)

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Where you will really have fun on this bike is in the hill country where the roads are curvy and the traffic is light. 8)

·
Super Moderator
3,957 Posts
czguybilly said:
TBike stops very well, however I feel the rear brake is somewhat weak. I figure this to be the linked braking.
This is because, in 2003 and before, the rear brake was NOT somewhat weak and people had a bad habit of locking up the rear wheel. Most moved their brake pedals clockwise a notch or two to reduce the risk of overbraking.

·
Registered
103 Posts
"Thats just one reason I will be relocating to Florida this fall. I saw many really nice roads there with much less traffic. Besides, I'll get to ride my FJR all year there.

Last house hunting trip I took to Florida, I drove my rental car from Ft Lauderdale to Orlando on Florida Turnpike. Now THAT would have been a great FJR ride. (bet I would have shaved some time off the three 1/2 hour trip)"

Two years ago I retired and moved from Vernon, NJ to Jacksonville, FL to help with family. I brought my 03 FJR with me but sold it last year and bought a Speed Triple to better accommodate the style of riding I found myself in.
I much prefer the roads of NJ, and the Northeast in general, to the flat, straight roads of FL. It quickly became quite boring. The offset, like you said, is you can ride year round, but in the dead of summer, a motorcycle is not very enticing in FL.
There is a lot to like here in FL, especially on the beaches :D , and I'm sure you will like it. It's just not, IMHO, a great place for a motorcycle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Enjoyed your message and am about to pick up my 06 bike. I am a little concerned about seat height and width. I am 5'8' and will probably lower the bike a notch. Did you notice buzz being an issue?

Thanks...
Thomas

czguybilly said:
This new 06 FJR is my first street Yamaha. I am long time rider of many brands. Now that I'm 51, wanted something to sport tour on. Was also looking at BMW, and Honda.

Any way, the first 500 mile impression:

Bike is very powerful and very torquey.

The set up from the dealership was not very good, so being ex mechanic, I went over everything.

Bike stops very well, however I feel the rear brake is somewhat weak. I figure this to be the linked braking.

For a somewhat heavy bike, it handles well, and feels 100 lbs lighter once moving. Kind of a bear to move around your driveway esp. with full tank of gas.

I am still breaking it in, and keeping it under 4500 rpm and notice only the slightest vibration through the seat and bars. Going to use some liquid Bar Snake to quell the handlebar vibes.

Heat is somewhat noticeable, but nothing you cant live with. I feel it may get better as it breaks in.

Entire motorcycle feels very "tight" and again I think will get better with some miles.

Stock windshield is good, but a lot of wind noise. I may consider a larger shield. For now, ear plugs fix the problem. Whistles at low speeds and really howls on the highway.

I am 6'1" and 190 lbs with 34 inseam. As far as fit, even with these long legs, bike is kind of hard to flat foot due to width of seat. Bars are ok,and I have adjusted them to be closest to me. Considering risers, but I think I need higher AND closer to be really comfy.

Throttle will give your right wrist a good workout. I am hoping springs get loose with miles.

Seat is comfy for me, but would prefer a bit narrower at the nose.

Overall I feel it is a very good motorcycle and I'm glad I went with the Yamaha. I think this FJR will end up being one of, if not the best motorcycle I ever owned. Time will tell.

Given the current crop of motorcycles on the market today, if I had to pick one bike to take on a long trip and still have to use it locally, it would be this Yamaha.

Ride safe,
Billy

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you are looking for a great place to ride I'd take the N.C. foot hills of the blue ridge anyday - If you move to Florida take the 8 hr ride to the smokie-blue ridge area - you may not go back to Florida once you ride the roads there - PBraido :D

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
pbraido said:
If you are looking for a great place to ride I'd take the N.C. foot hills of the blue ridge anyday - If you move to Florida take the 8 hr ride to the smokie-blue ridge area - you may not go back to Florida once you ride the roads there - PBraido :D
+1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thomas<

No real buzz. I guess if you are going to be hitting the redline 24/7, it may be a little buzzy, but normal driving, its not an issue. Slight buzz is really not an issue. There is liquid bar snake which would knock out any handlebar buzz, peg and seat buzz is minimal. You really need to be looking for it. Also, what bike are you coming off? You should love the bike.

All> Yes Blue Ridge are awesome roads. Rode them years ago, unfortunately on a HD.

While in Florida (two trips ago) was up in the Ocala forest area and there were some very nice roads up there.

Plus, maybe the most beautiful roads I've ever traveled on was going from Miami to the Keys. That was an amazing ride. Tidy Bowl blue water all around you.

I guess it really doesnt matter where you ride. There are good and bad points everywhere.

·
Registered
2 Posts
thomas52 said:
Enjoyed your message and am about to pick up my 06 bike. I am a little concerned about seat height and width. I am 5'8' and will probably lower the bike a notch. Did you notice buzz being an issue?

Thanks...
Thomas

Hey, don't worry about the seat height and width. I'm a woman, 5'3", 130 lbs and I ride this bike just fine. I did have to add a little over an inch to the soles of my boots, to get me on tip toes, but it's all about the handling. I love my FJR :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts