FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up my 50 liter top case and of course, parts are missing.
Lock arm plate item #2 and mount screws did not come with the case.
Instructions say lock arm plate not available separately.
Did several searches on the e-net with no luck. Figured I would try my
luck on the forum, anyone have an extra they want to sell :)
Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
2020 FJR1300ES
36 Posts
Did you buy the bike new? The lockset comes with the bike.
If you bought it used maybe the original buyer still has it.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Did you buy the bike new? The lockset comes with the bike.
If you bought it used maybe the original buyer still has it.
Only #4 the cylinder comes with the bike.

·
Registered
539 Posts
This is what I got when I bought my new 2020.
View attachment 78987
Yup, but that latch arm is a spare one for the panniers - the latch arm for the top case is different. It looks like this - which is why the directions he posted above show that it is included in the kit with the topcase along with the appropriate screws for this plate.

·
Registered
2020 FJR1300ES
36 Posts
Yup, but that latch arm is a spare one for the panniers - the latch arm for the top case is different. It looks like this - which is why the directions he posted above show that it is included in the kit with the topcase along with the appropriate screws for this plate.
View attachment 78988
Good to know. Thanks.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the reply's gentleman. The case was a gift from Yamaha, new in the box. Yamaha is contacting the manufacture of the case about obtaining a lock arm plate. The lock arm plate and screws should have come with the new case.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Would any of you guys know the manufacture of the Yamaha OEM rear trunk? I have been reaching out to corporate Yamaha for over two weeks and have not been able to talk with anyone. I don't care what time a day it is, the switchboard transfers you to, Sorry, we are in a meeting right now, please call back another time. Everyone's mailbox is full. Yamaha must not make them our there would be an OEM part number on the missing parts. I reached out to GIVI and Mototech, they don't manufacture the trunks or side luggage. Thanks

·
Registered
539 Posts
It looks more like Shad than anything else, just due to the goofy double wall construction. But no idea if they make it.

·
Registered
2020 FJR1300ES
36 Posts
Thanks for the reply's gentleman. The case was a gift from Yamaha, new in the box. Yamaha is contacting the manufacture of the case about obtaining a lock arm plate. The lock arm plate and screws should have come with the new case.
Nice!! I ordered a 50 liter top case back in December, and I'M STILL WAITING FOR IT!!!!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice!! I ordered a 50 liter top case back in December, and I'M STILL WAITING FOR IT!!!!!
I feal for ya Brother. I had a small list of OEM touring accessories Yamaha hooked me up with after all my new bike drama ended (7months later) I waited many, many, many months for. Still waiting on the Yamaha OEM comfort seat. I should probably give up on that one. o_O

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It looks more like Shad than anything else, just due to the goofy double wall construction. But no idea if they make it.
Thanks for the info, yes, their hard bags look like or very close to OEM Yamaha.

·
Registered
2016 FJR1300 ES
334 Posts
I believe they are made and sold by Yamaha. If a part is missing you should contact the dealer/store where you bought it I would think. I replaced my Shad with the 50L Yamaha case, and they are night and day. The Shad is light and made of fairly thin plastic. The Yamaha is heavy, double sided, and matches the side cases perfectly in build quality. Closing the lid on the 50L box really feels amazing...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I believe they are made and sold by Yamaha. If a part is missing you should contact the dealer/store where you bought it I would think. I replaced my Shad with the 50L Yamaha case, and they are night and day. The Shad is light and made of fairly thin plastic. The Yamaha is heavy, double sided, and matches the side cases perfectly in build quality. Closing the lid on the 50L box really feels amazing...
Yes Sir. Dealer is ordering another trunk so I can get the missing parts from it. There is no Yamaha OEM part number for the lock arm plate, thus being said, not Yamaha OEM, so I was told.

·
Registered
2016 FJR1300 ES
334 Posts
Yes Sir. Dealer is ordering another trunk so I can get the missing parts from it. There is no Yamaha OEM part number for the lock arm plate, thus being said, not Yamaha OEM, so I was told.
The instructions clearly refer to this as a Yamaha product, and the kit does have a part number. Yamaha decided not to sell the lock arm separately, but I don't see how that means it's not Yamaha OEM...

·
Registered
683 Posts
I’d bet money they are not made by Yamaha. They could be an exclusive design for Yamaha, but more than likely the hardware is used by other models. Could be wrong, but I’d be surprised.

Reactions: Phatdad

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I’d bet money they are not made by Yamaha. They could be an exclusive design for Yamaha, but more than likely the hardware is used by other models. Could be wrong, but I’d be surprised.
The dealership that is getting me the hardware, the kid behind the counter, talked with mothership Yamaha and was told, hard cases not made by Yamaha. I asked the kid behind the counter, what was the company name that makes the luggage? the kid behind the counter, I forgot the name and did not write it down. Really Man.

·
Registered
2016 FJR1300 ES
334 Posts
I don't know how much of the FJR that is physically made by Yamaha. Lots of components are made by other companies (brake pads, oil filters, all electrical stuff, tires, oil, coolant, etc. etc. I'm not sure why that matters to anyone here. When I buy an OEM part, I expect Yamaha packaging with a Yamaha part number, and of course Yamaha quality. This goes for the side cases, top box, and everything else...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I don't know how much of the FJR that is physically made by Yamaha. Lots of components are made by other companies (brake pads, oil filters, all electrical stuff, tires, oil, coolant, etc. etc. I'm not sure why that matters to anyone here. When I buy an OEM part, I expect Yamaha packaging with a Yamaha part number, and of course Yamaha quality. This goes for the side cases, top box, and everything else...
Your reading into it too much. Of course, Yamaha subs out parts, there may be parts made in China on the bike. The question was looking for the manufacture of their cases to locate a missing part that does not have a OEM number.

·
Registered
2016 FJR1300 ES
334 Posts
Your reading into it too much. Of course, Yamaha subs out parts, there may be parts made in China on the bike. The question was looking for the manufacture of their cases to locate a missing part that does not have a OEM number.
My view is that it's an OEM part with an OEM number. However, the specific part isn't sold alone, but as part of an OEM kit.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts