FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MY 03 model is due for the 40,000k service. I have done everything except the valve adjustment and Throttle body sync. Booked in at my local Yamaha dealer to have this done and was quoted around $180 Aud for these services. I told him t the engine recently started ticking, hopefully a shim or two needed. He would not quote a price on the re shim due to the time involved. Is it correct that the cams require removing to re shim. Any advice please. :?:

·
Registered
47 Posts
I also do my own maintenance BUT I don't think I am going to do the valve adjustment.
I don't have any problem doing the Throttle body sync. and all the other stuff
Maybe I will change my mind later on, I only have 6000 miles on the bike.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Stretch, i'm in the same boat as you. My FJR is just over 40,000 kms and i guess in need for a valve adjustment or check. But after looking at Torch's article, i won't be doing it myself.
Also my bike is slightly ticking as well but i'm hoping that a valve adjustment will quiet it down.
But winter is fast approaching and i'm lazy when it comes to worrying about bike maintenance, so i'll probably leave it until the spring, even though i know now is probably the best time to get it done.
Anyone know how much a valve adjustment will cost at a Canadian dealer?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Carey G, I had my valve clearance checked this spring, not by a dealer, but a m/c mechanic, no adjustments were necessary all within spec. cost was about $165.00, though he had never done an FJR before, I provided the service manual and a copy of Torch's excellent short cuts, he said no problem.
Should be able to get a quote from the service desk at your Yammie dealer though.
good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
40,000 service

--- Man I got raped !!!! My 26,000 mi valve check and T body syn. New plugs where put in, which I had already payed for. Just alittle over 500.00 bucks!!! They charged me with 8hrs of labor. I think Iam going back to complain. :x

·
Registered
215 Posts
A friend just had his Ducati 1000 serviced 20,000km $1200 Australian Dollars.

:shock:

·
Registered
234 Posts
@ Skibis, ALL you had done was TB sync, and a valve inspection?
Spark plugs take 30 minutes, tops.
They already had the tank off for the inspection.
Theres NO WAY they should have charged you that much.
Double check what they did. Did the inspection, turn into a valve adjust?
Then call FJRGoodies, and ask them what they charge for the same services.
Armed with this info. go ask why?
Then if you dont get the help you deserve, get back to us and let us know Which dealer did this.
This will help us all stay away from people who abuse FJR owners.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I would never have the patience or confidence to tackle such a job. I now understand why having this done by others costs a fair amount. I hope the Yamaha mechanics do all the stuff as carefully as the link you provided recommends. I will pay gladly to have this done and done right.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Valves. That's the only thing I will not do.
You can always get a quote from dealer first. A good dealer can be fairly close on giving you a price, in my experience.
Nothing worse than wondering all day if you got enough dosh to cover it.
This thread speaks volumes for doing work yourself.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Had my valves checked and tbs checked last week. All were in spec no adjustments required. Cost $220.00 Aussie dollars which included new o ring for the water pipe into the head, it didnt re seal properly when re- fitting so they put new one in, fair enough. (O3 model with 43,000klms). Work done at Stoney Creek Motorcycles Bexley NSW

·
Registered
425 Posts
some dealers have never seen an FJR let alone have a tech that is trained enough to remove cams....know your dealer and your tech....usually ya get what you pay for

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Workshop manual calls for all three O rings to be replaced when the water rail is taken off IIRC.
It's VERY easy for them to get out of shape as you install it back on top of the head, and if you're unlucky you won't know you have a leak until you get the motor running again. :evil: BTDT

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
I wonder how many dealers actually do the shim check?

It seems to me that everyone that's had the dealer do it they say Yeh mate there fine!
I've had a number of different Yamaha's from new and when checked they were out of tolerance and thats from new.

So I think it would be worth checking the tolerances your self to see if they need doing before hand..

·
Registered
353 Posts
Tis behond my abilities , but belive you me , if I could I would. And that's because of exactly what you say. I wonder how many do check.
Think come the time I will ask to watch . Long morning , but......! Trust no f.e.r me.
Do all the rest , but this one worries me .

·
Registered
97 Posts
Valves in Aus...

Hi All,

I asked for a quote at my local dealer last week, '03 with 47K on the clock... Yeh I know, supposed to be done @ 40K... I did the 40K service myself, just not the valves...

They quoted 8 + hrs to do the check, and he didn't convince me they knew anything about it anyway... He figured 2 peope for 1/2 day each... Sheesh... SO I am going to phone around and see if I can track down some place that might actually know what they are doing...

Nothing I hate more than the feeling of being ripped off...

Cheers,

Atlas

·
Registered
8 Posts
valves

dumb question here : how can I know if there is a problem with the valve adjustment? If this is neglected what effect would this have on performance.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Re: valves

Mark Evans said:
dumb question here : how can I know if there is a problem with the valve adjustment? If this is neglected what effect would this have on .
Not just performance could/will damage the motor in the long run. If you are not sure get them checked strait away.

·
Registered
215 Posts
If the valve clearance is loose then you will notice
a slight ticking noise. This will not damage the engine
provided the clearance is too loose.

If the valve clearance is tight, then the engine idle
will become erratic and performance will suffer.
It would be almost impossible to do a T/B sink due
to the uneven idle. Tight valves if not rectified can cause
the valve to burn out and this can be expensive to repair

1 - 20 of 22 Posts