FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1501 - 1520 of 1525 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Are you sure it's a '16? 6 speed?
Yes. Cobalt blue with a 6 speed.
I ran my Vin back in Jan it wasn’t on the recall list and the only recall notice I’ve gotten was the brake switch.

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
I would check again, but that's just me..

·
Registered
152 Posts
Just been on a long trip, staycation and my 2020 has clocked up 10000 miles on the dodgy gearbox, which changes well. Heard of 2 cases of problems with the recall, one they damaged the fairing with a screwdriver while puting it back on !
The other they damaged the middle gear and locknut and the engine has to come out again to fix it and to re-shim the middle gear and pinnion (whatever they are).
Hopefully Yamaha will realise how hopeless some of their dealers are and do something about it, won't hold my breath though !

·
Registered
98 Posts
Here in Spain at the moment apparently there have been no problems with any ...

·
Registered
140 Posts
Yes. Cobalt blue with a 6 speed.
I ran my Vin back in Jan it wasn’t on the recall list and the only recall notice I’ve gotten was the brake switch.
You might want to check again. Mine and several others weren’t on the recall to begin with. Mine came up on the recall in February or March. I bought the bike used and never did get an official recall notice. If you’re not the original owner you will have to transfer the VIN info into your name with Yamaha

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
I think he’s saying that he’s not going to have it done.

Kinda highlights that part of buying a 6spd bike, you need to ask & verify that the recall has been done. Particularly after the memory of all this fades, should drive a steep discount imho.

·
Registered
325 Posts
No, I have been a bit hesitant because I want my local shop to have done a few recalls before using my bike as the guinea pig…..and the weather is super nice now.
A recent check and my bike is up to be recalled.
Anyone know which shop in the Nashville TN area would be the best choice to have my bike torn apart?

Reactions: passx

·
Registered
304 Posts
No, I have been a bit hesitant because I want my local shop to have done a few recalls before using my bike as the guinea pig…..and the weather is super nice now.
A recent check and my bike is up to be recalled.
Anyone know which shop in the Nashville TN area would be the best choice to have my bike torn apart?
I took mine to Sloan's in Murfreesboro. I don't have much experience with MC dealers so can't compare, but they seemed to have done a decent job. Rode over 600 miles since the recall and so far all is well.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I took mine to Sloan's in Murfreesboro. I don't have much experience with MC dealers so can't compare, but they seemed to have done a decent job. Rode over 600 miles since the recall and so far all is well.
That’s who I called first and prefer. They said they’ve done about 7 FJR tranny recalls.
Might as well get the valves checked and that might save a dollar out of the frame.
The advisor said they could do it in two days, I’m not believing that.

·
Registered
140 Posts
That’s who I called first and prefer. They said they’ve done about 7 FJR tranny recalls.
Might as well get the valves checked and that might save a dollar out of the frame.
Mine was the first and as far as I know the only one the dealer has done. I would’ve been more than nervous but I know the mechanic and he has worked at the dealer for 25 years. I have almost 1k mile post recall and no issues other than the coolant needed topping off after a couple hundred miles (I didn’t notice/check it sooner) Yamaha only pays like 14hrs labor. I dropped the bike off on a Monday and the dealer called me Wednesday afternoon.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I think mine was #4 or #5. I had them do the swingarm service too while the engine was out. They only charged me around $280 for that. If you are due for valve check that might be a good time to save few bucks.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Well crap. I had the recalls done on my bike. Dropped it off in March or early April. They had it for 7 weeks or so. Said they bricked every ECU they tried to flash and couldn't get new ones. Anyway, they figured out how to not brick the ECU and eventually did the work on my bike. I picked the bike up on the trailer and parked it in the garage during the Noah's flood event of the last couple weeks here in Texas. Tonight I decide to go to the local convenience store for an ice cream and I'd take the bike out for the first ride. Plunk her into first and pull out of the neighborhood. Tried to shift to second and she stops at neutral and that's all there is. First gear and neutral, dang. They took my perfectly good, buttery smooth shifting bike and ripped it apart for no reason and put back together wrong. I'll holler at them tomorrow and I guess they will rip it apart again. At least this time it won't be for no reason.

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha FJR1300ES
22 Posts
That's a major bummer, @bluzharp. I dropped mine off nearly 9 weeks ago and I finally get to pick it up Saturday morning. I plan on riding it an hour home from the dealership, so I should know quickly whether there are any issues or not. Fingers crossed that all goes well.

·
Registered
2020 FJR 1300ES
80 Posts
Well crap. I had the recalls done on my bike. Dropped it off in March or early April. They had it for 7 weeks or so. Said they bricked every ECU they tried to flash and couldn't get new ones. Anyway, they figured out how to not brick the ECU and eventually did the work on my bike. I picked the bike up on the trailer and parked it in the garage during the Noah's flood event of the last couple weeks here in Texas. Tonight I decide to go to the local convenience store for an ice cream and I'd take the bike out for the first ride. Plunk her into first and pull out of the neighborhood. Tried to shift to second and she stops at neutral and that's all there is. First gear and neutral, dang. They took my perfectly good, buttery smooth shifting bike and ripped it apart for no reason and put back together wrong. I'll holler at them tomorrow and I guess they will rip it apart again. At least this time it won't be for no reason.
So they didn't test ride your bike after major work like that was accomplished? To see if it was safe to ride? And after bricking ECU's? And your taking it back to them? Speechless

·
Registered
116 Posts
Ok, here's the follow up to the shifting issue. I took it back over this afternoon. They had put the shift lever on the shaft one spline off. The rod/linkage was hanging up on the frame. Took them about 15 minutes and I test rode it and loaded it up. All good now. As for the ECU bricking issue, they were very up front about how they solved their problem when mother Yamaha could not. They also explained that they had flashed a few bikes after they switched laptops with no issues.

Yes, they test rode it and did not notice the problem. I tooled around in front of my house today before I loaded it up and, holy crap, it shifted into second and third, but felt notchy. I can see how they may have missed it on a brief test ride.

Look, I absolutely hate that I had to have my factory assembled bike completely torn apart in a shop. When the recall is issued, they have us over a barrel. I'm glad the work is complete and I am satisfied they took care of me promptly and apologetically.

I owned a BMW K1200R for 9 years. There is some deep emotional scarring from the dealership experience with those A-holes. Never again. This episode was a walk in the park.

·
Registered
116 Posts
That's a major bummer, @bluzharp. I dropped mine off nearly 9 weeks ago and I finally get to pick it up Saturday morning. I plan on riding it an hour home from the dealership, so I should know quickly whether there are any issues or not. Fingers crossed that all goes well.
Check that the dimple on the shift shaft is lined up on the center of the slot in the lever and the shifter is adjusted between the lines on the frame. Those splines are pretty fine and it can be one notch off and still sort of line up.

1501 - 1520 of 1525 Posts