FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1461 - 1480 of 1525 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Picked my bike up this afternoon-first time the weather/work cooperated. It had been done for a week or so. Everything looked fine talked the mechanic a few minutes-mine was the first/only one they’ve done there is another one they’re waiting on parts for evidently they’re back ordered. Went for a 175 mile shake down ride doesn’t seem any different than it did before the recall-I’ll take that as a good thing. Time will tell how it shakes out but so far so good

·
Registered
2016 FJR1300 ES
327 Posts
Just a reminder guys - don't forget to check the oil level after you get your bikes back from dealer. Mine was overfilled by around 400ml that I just syringed out.
Mine was smack in the middle of the glass, so happy. I checked the coolant after a few hundred miles, and had to add a little, but that's probably due to air being purged.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Finally got my FJR back yesterday 2 months after the inital recall fix. During the first recall fix a tiny bit yamabond plugged up the restrictor in the oil galley going to the head.I caught it early and the damage was confined to the top end. They had to replace the entire head assembly including cams. My question is how could this happen? The oil restrictor which is part of the head gasket has an oricice the size of a sewing needle shaft. Any small contaminant would block it. As far as I can see from the shop manual. All oil is first run thru the pickup screen oil pum and then thru the oil filter and they to the oil galley leeding to the head.That galley appears to be sealed so nothing should of gotten past the oil filter but it did. Can someone explain this could happen. I was told it could of gotten thru by the oil bypass valve. If that is true then it is a very poor design in my opinion. Thanks.
By the way I have put about 200 miles on the bike so and everything looks to be good so far. Fingers crossed.

·
Premium Member
CBF1000 VFR800
8,405 Posts
It is highly unlikely anything got past the filter IMHO. Filters are ~30 microns. It is more likely a piece fell into the oil gallery at some point of crankcase halves being apart, which is after the filter. Engine would have been assembled and no one the wiser. The important part is they got you up and running.

Reactions: 2GENAE

·
Registered
19 Posts
It is highly unlikely anything got past the filter IMHO. Filters are ~30 microns. It is more likely a piece fell into the oil gallery at some point of crankcase halves being apart, which is after the filter. Engine would have been assembled and no one the wiser. The important part is they got you up and running.
So if there was a piece of yamabond that fell off when putting the valve cover gasket on at the completion of a valve check then it should be picked up by the oil filter. I have heard of that happening and getting into the head oil restrictor. Doen't make sense to me how that could happen.

·
Premium Member
CBF1000 VFR800
8,405 Posts
When I put RTV in the groove of the valve cover, I press the gasket in place and clean off any squeeze-out. None is used gasket to cylinder head, except a smear in the corners of the half moons, and don't use too much. That said, anything that would by some chance fall inside the engine would rinse down eventually to the oil pan, picked up and filtered.
The oil gallery on an assembled engine is a closed system for pressurization and cannot be accessed externally by any contaminant, the oil has to be filtered to make it there.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Prior to the recall, I was feeling a little pessimistic about the chances for a good outcome after reading about the problems that have occurred. I now have 1,200 miles on it post recall. Bike runs and shifts great. I changed the oil at 900 miles as a “break in” oil change. Oil looked clean, as expected. I suspect most have the same experience as me. I hope that all who have had problems find resolution of their problems soon.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Post recall follow up -
I'm currently only at 800 miles post recall repair because I've been riding my Bandit, I've been been saving my tires for my long trip coming up May 23rd - that will 5k + miles, and the real test! We will be doing a Colorado > Utah > PNW > Idaho > Montana> Wyoming > Colorado loop and points in between loop.

That said - in these +/-800 miles its has been shifting without any concerns - just like before the recall. I never had anything to compare to because I did not have a problem per-se, so its basically the same as before.

I will follow up after the trip. FJR don't let me down!!​

·
Premium Member
CBF1000 VFR800
8,405 Posts
If this helps.. you have the strengthened second gear. If you made it the first 100 miles, there are no blockages of oil galleries, etc. Anything over 500 miles, you guys shouldn't have anything to worry about.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Just got my bike back after waiting 2 months for parts. Buttery smooth shifting so far. I had the steering head bearings replaced at the same time with tapered roller bearings. Speed wobble is now gone. Feels like a brand new bike!

Dealer said I was lucky to get mine done when I did - bikes going in now won't get parts until August!

·
Registered
319 Posts
On another forum, dude has posted dealer has the recall mechaincal part done but doesn't the "tool' to reflash the ECU.
How does that make sense ?

·
Premium Member
CBF1000 VFR800
8,405 Posts
On another forum, dude has posted dealer has the recall mechaincal part done but doesn't the "tool' to reflash the ECU.
How does that make sense ?
Doesn't make sense to me...... if it's a Yamaha dealer, he should have a laptop and the software to run it as part of his dealership. Quick download of the flash software and should be good to go.....

Reactions: 2GENAE

·
Registered
114 Posts
With regards to the delay in getting parts, I guess Yamaha is well aware. Saw this apology posted on another forum recently.

·
Registered
187 Posts
With regards to the delay in getting parts, I guess Yamaha is well aware. Saw this apology posted on another forum recently.

I loved this quote from the president

"Due to the shortage in semi conductors and the blockage in the Suez Canal, we decided to slow shipments of replacement gears for the defective motorcycles we sold and tell our customers not to use our defective products until the defective parts are replaced. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience, but rest assured, we will continue to withdraw money from your bank accounts to ensure that we can sell you new products to replace those defective products we don't want you to use anymore."

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm in BC, Canada on Vancouver Island. After having to wait for recall parts to be available again, I took my 2016 FJR into Action Motorcycles in Victoria this week. They completed the recalls in 2 days and I just picked it up today. So far, so good. They did provide me a few photos from the surgery...

1461 - 1480 of 1525 Posts