FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1441 - 1459 of 1459 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Good news on your recall work. I'm still waiting for the service dept at the Yamaha dealership here in S. AZ to get the parts and setup an appointment for repair work. It has been at least a month since I first contacted them but I am trying to be patient and positive this is all going to work out.
What dealership? I am using Moto City in Anthem. It took 7 weeks for the recall kit to arrive. I dropped my FJR off last 9 days ago. They were scheduled to start on it Tuesday and said it would take a week or so. They said they have done three before mine, and had seven scheduled after. Getting the parts has been an issue.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Man, how do you mess up a simple thing like a water pump.... I don't understand "shut".
I believe the water pumps are all the same, just different engine paint colour, thus different part numbers.
If the ECU is working, see if they will skip the reflash......
I think he meant shot.

I hope they're not charging you for one. I hate to be cynical but I'm starting to believe dealerships are going to try to bang FJR owners for anything they can get for having to do recall work. Probably takes them longer than Yamaha allows. Like wanting to charge for oil and coolant.
Yeah, I did mean to say shot... a typo. And as it appeared it isn't truly "shot" either.
Stopped by the dealer this morning. They showed me the picture of the water pump (attached). It seemed to have accumulated some gunked-up antifreeze that they say was coming from the weep hole. Apparently not enough to create a noticeable leak. They ordered a replacement, but it is on back order for at least another month, so they put my old pump back in for now. The gal at the counter told me they saw the similar issue once before with 2020 FJR. If Yamaha is not going to pay for the replacement, then the extended warranty, which I almost forgot about, should cover it.
Now the ECU... They plugged it in to show me the code it throws - P0601 ECU Internal Malfunction. Dash shows check engine light and the fuel pump doesn't kick in. I picked up the ECU and it is already on its way to Ivan for a back-to-stock re-flash.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,443
Carlson wow......I am surprised the pump seal is leaking coolant with so few miles. Glad you have extended warranty shame they can't find a new pump now.

·
Premium Member
CBF1000 VFR800
8,096 Posts
That appears to be old coolant and a little weepage like that doesn't convince me the water pump is shot.... however, sure put a new pump on it, but shot at that low mileage is ridiculous. Clean out the weep hole and ride it, monitor for drips..... it would take some more than that to convince me it's "leaking". Hoping this doesn't cost you anything...... a little call to Yamaha wouldn't hurt....

OK I get the ECU thing.... anyone else had an Ivan flashed ECU had an issue with the recall reflash???

Reactions: 2GENAE

·
Registered
301 Posts
OK I get the ECU thing.... anyone else had an Ivan flashed ECU had an issue with the recall reflash???
I was wondering the same thing. Would be interested in other folks' experience. When I called Ivan he was quite sure the problem was not due to his tune but because of some f#%k-up at the dealer during flashing process.

·
Premium Member
CBF1000 VFR800
8,096 Posts
Just did some searching.... there have been 3 ECU's that could not be reflashed/initialized upon reflash, resulting in ECU replacement...... AFAIK none of them had an Ivan flash. One can only speculate that dealer somehow didn't go about the reflash properly.....

Reactions: 2GENAE

·
Registered
45 Posts
Phatdad, remind us of the history..... wondering if you have a bent shift fork or actuator.....
Very long story short, 2 weeks into owning the bike, 2nd gear broke and locked up the trans. Waited almost 5 months for parts out of Japan, I believe to have the same OEM trans gear set installed, took the bike home, two weeks later I get the recall notice, back to the dealer, almost two weeks to get the new parts and another week in the shop. Just rode the bike to the dealer yesterday to express my concern with the, not shifting into gear issue. Nothing like leaving an intersection and not being able to shift into 3rd gear, or 4th gear. I have been dealing with corporate since day one, all they said they can do is keep fixing it. Back to the dealership next week with the FJ, My buddy has the exact same bike as mine, after the recall work, the same dealership, his bike shifts duck butter smooth. I have two Gremlin bells on that FJ. The magic is not working.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Did about 100 miles of backroads today and the FJR's gearbox is working superbly, w/no leaks or issues of any sort. Once again I was reminded what a splendiferous bike this is, even if she is a bit husky. Thanks to Broward Motorsports West Palm Beach for doing a good job and solid work.
Lee

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sean here in Canada. My 2018 FJR and a couple others are sitting at the dealership in Cape Breton. My bike has been there since early January. Dealer is keeping me up to date and in the loop. They have the parts to do the rcall on the bikes but apparently they require special tooling from Yamaha. They called yesterday to tell me that Yamaha has said tooling will not be available until June 1st at earliest. This means now that i will have lost most of 2 months of Spring riding. Anyone else here have issues with tooling from Yamaha?

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR A Model
8,069 Posts
Sean here in Canada. My 2018 FJR and a couple others are sitting at the dealership in Cape Breton. My bike has been there since early January. Dealer is keeping me up to date and in the loop. They have the parts to do the rcall on the bikes but apparently they require special tooling from Yamaha. They called yesterday to tell me that Yamaha has said tooling will not be available until June 1st at earliest. This means now that i will have lost most of 2 months of Spring riding. Anyone else here have issues with tooling from Yamaha?
If your bike hasn't been disassembled why not go and take it home? Their service slowness shouldn't mean you can't ride.

·
Premium Member
CBF1000 VFR800
8,096 Posts
I've heard of one being held up for "tooling", a slide hammer is on the list of tools for the job and same deal, long wait.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just to be 100% clear and shed some light here about the ECU and other things with this bike.

It is not possible to "Brick" the ECU in this bike, it can always be written to.
(barring electrical damage, short circuit, backwards battery install- ie; physical damage)

It is not possible to lock it from being flashed over either.

What is 100% possible is for a dealer flash to fail, or load properly from Yamaha's equipment because it is done through the diagnostic connector at a very slow rate that takes 40 minutes or so.
It is also done through an interface that connects through the internet from the dealer's diagnostic tool to Yamaha's server somewhere in the world... any disruption in the data will cause a corrupted or incomplete file installation.... Hence error codes. Bad WIFI, poor cable or connections, overloaded ISP... many things will affect the outcome of this.

Also, if the ABS module was disconnected at some point, it is possible that it won't marry up with the ECU properly and give error codes and cause failure to start.

There have been many people that have had the recall done with my flash with no issues... It is not possible to have some that cannot be written to and some that cannot because they are all the same.😂😂

Ivan

·
Registered
2018 FJR1300ES
3 Posts
OMG!
I knew this recall required an extensive amount of effort and technical expertise but the photo of your bike there with the engine sitting on the ground beside it caused me to pause.
My FJR only has 2500 miles on it and this work seems drastic for a practically new bike.
Oh well, I'm still waiting for parts in southern AZ. I hope everything goes well with your bike and thanks for sharing those images with us.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Finally some good news! Recall work is complete (plus swingarm service and new spark plugs). Water pump replacement is on order, should arrive in 5-6 weeks. Extended warranty covers pump, coolant and labor, minus $50 deductible. Glad to report they didn't mess up the ECU flash the 2nd time, so all seems to be in order. Don't feel like pulling the plastics to get to the ECU at the moment, so will ride with the stock tune for now. Shifting feels nice and smooth, didn't see any leaks. Will try to put a couple hundred miles on it in the next week or 2 to make sure all is good.
Slightly unrelated question - while checking the bike over at the dealer noticed a piece of black plastic that probably should be flush against the frame, but sticks out a bit. It's visible though the fairing gap on the right side, under the sliding panel.. (see the arrow on the picture). Similar piece of plastic on the left side is flush with the frame. Could anyone check this part on your bike and let me know if it's sticking out like mine?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR A Model
8,069 Posts
Slightly unrelated question - while checking the bike over at the dealer noticed a piece of black plastic that probably should be flush against the frame, but sticks out a bit. It's visible though the fairing gap on the right side, under the sliding panel.. (see the arrow on the picture). Similar piece of plastic on the left side is flush with the frame. Could anyone check this part on your bike and let me know if it's sticking out like mine?
That looks like the edge of the under-tank heat shield. Do a quick tank lift and re-seat it or maybe just poke it with a cloth covered screwdriver. I've done the second method a couple times :cool:

·
Premium Member
CBF1000 VFR800
8,096 Posts
It's the air deflector panel that mounts where the rad mounts, and is to keep hot air exiting the rad from going into the engine compartment below the tank. No fastener where your arrow is, just push it into place, it might be slightly distorted. If springy, there may be wire harness behind it..... maybe you can see that if you lift the tank, remove insulation pad and "adjust" the wire harness....
See Parts diagram, Frame, item 29.

·
Registered
301 Posts
It's the air deflector panel that mounts where the rad mounts, and is to keep hot air exiting the rad from going into the engine compartment below the tank. No fastener where your arrow is, just push it into place, it might be slightly distorted. If springy, there may be wire harness behind it..... maybe you can see that if you lift the tank, remove insulation pad and "adjust" the wire harness....
See Parts diagram, Frame, item 29.
Thanks Ray. It won't get in place by just pushing it, like there's something blocking it. If I feel bored next week I might lift up the tank to check. Due to MV Motorrad riser it requires a little more effort that otherwise would. Or I'll just tell dealer to do it right when the bike is in for the water pump change.

·
Registered
2016 FJR1300 ES
257 Posts
I took my 2016 ES out for a 150 mi ride on Friday, and it's all good. Super smooth, easy shifting, rides like it always did. My confidence has been restored...

1441 - 1459 of 1459 Posts