FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1421 - 1440 of 1456 Posts

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Yamaha can only determine the labor hours involved to complete the job. If the dealer’s tech does it in pieces because he keeps getting pulled off to help out on other jobs it’s on the dealer, not Yamaha. I wouldn’t expect to get your bike back in 2 days.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I honestly thought after 7 months of no bike, recall performed for the second time, it's over, wrong.
I put almost 200 miles on the new trans set and this last weekend, it has gotten worse. The bike is very difficult to shit into 3rd gear and even worse is 3rd to 4th, I'm not talking a little finicky to shift, I'm talking pull off the road WTF is going on here not shifting. Damit Man, back to dealers for a 3rd time with a trans issue. How many more times before it's a lemon.
Really very disappointed about this because I love riding this bike. Next month, July will be one year since new, and I still have not been able to ride trouble-free. Just went past 1k on the miles with last weekend's ride. I'm working with a great dealership and service department, my bike is known in the shop as, Total Recall.

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
I honestly thought after 7 months of no bike, recall performed for the second time, it's over, wrong.
.................. I'm working with a great dealership and service department, my bike is known in the shop as, Total Recall.
That kind of contradicts the issues you're having with the bike. Is there another dealer you can get to take a look at it? I know in my field a second set of eyes sometimes finds things the first set misses because they are so "close" to it.

Reactions: Phatdad and fjrlee

·
Premium Member
FJR1300 A, TMax 530 DX, Tracer GT900, XS850
202 Posts
Agree with Whooshka - 3 transmissions in 1,000 kms and 7 months off the road, that has to be the worst record for a 'great dealership and service department'. Somebody doesn't know what they are doing surely.

·
Premium Member
CBF1000 VFR800
8,084 Posts
Phatdad, remind us of the history..... wondering if you have a bent shift fork or actuator.....

·
Registered
177 Posts
Imho, it’s time to call the mother ship and get them directly involved,,,,, call them yourself!
I agree, it’s at that point. I think it’d be reasonable to request Yamaha (not the dealer) to take the bike back in exchange for a new replacement. Worth asking if you’re so inclined Phatdad...hope you can get it sorted and put the hassles behind to enjoy your bike the way an FJR ought to be enjoyed.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Dropped mine off today. They joked w/me that they're getting pretty good at doing the recall. (Mine is the 8th FJR they've done so far, or so I'm told.) I informed them that wasn't confidence inspiring but asked if I could pick up the bike around noon. They chuckled, I chuckled and I guess I'll see her in about 3-4 days.
4 days after drop off, my FJR is home from the dealer. Looks like Broward Motorsports/West Palm Beach did a solid job in repairing the tranny, not that I ever experienced any issues w/it previously. It still shifts as smoothly as before- maybe even a touch smoother- and the gears engage firmly and nicely, so it's a win/win- a 10k mile bike w/a brand new gear set- all good, plus an oil & coolant change! Most of my drive home was interstate so I'll take her back out tomorrow and run her around town to give it a good once-over, but from my experiences so far, I'm happy.

And once again I'm reminded of what an awesome bike the FJR is.
Lee

·
Registered
2018 FJR1300ES
3 Posts
Good news on your recall work. I'm still waiting for the service dept at the Yamaha dealership here in S. AZ to get the parts and setup an appointment for repair work. It has been at least a month since I first contacted them but I am trying to be patient and positive this is all going to work out.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Mine is done. Took it in Monday 4/5 and it was done Wednesday 4/7. Mine was the first and only one they’ve done-there just aren’t many FJR’s in northern MN. Due to the weather I have not picked it up and Iam not sure they have test rode it. I had the dealer order parts in February took about 3 weeks for them to arrive I’ve heard the parts are back ordered now. Really hoping there won’t be any issues-time will tell

·
Registered
340 Posts
Good news on your recall work. I'm still waiting for the service dept at the Yamaha dealership here in S. AZ to get the parts and setup an appointment for repair work. It has been at least a month since I first contacted them but I am trying to be patient and positive this is all going to work out.
Took about a month for my bike's parts to come in, then another week+ before they could schedule it for repair. I was led to believe my FJR was #8 they've repaired so they had some good experience w/other bikes first. The first bike was a 2020 model which was in 3x for the repair, the first 2 before the recall was announced and they couldn't figure out why 2nd gear kept going. 3rd time was a charm and bike has run fine since. I'm glad someone else got that experience rather than me.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Well, not so good news. Dealer called with 2 issues. One - they claim the water pump is shut. They are trying to figure out if that can be covered by warranty in any shape of form, but being 2016 chance is slim. And two - they messed up ECU flash. They "think" it's because it had Ivan's map on it, but I kinda doubt that. Ether way, the ECU won't initialize. I'm picking ECU up tomorrow and will be shipping it to Ivan. He said he could re-flash it with stock map and send it back to me.. Anyway, what a mess.

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Well, not so good news. Dealer called with 2 issues. One - they claim the water pump is shut. They are trying to figure out if that can be covered by warranty in any shape of form, but being 2016 chance is slim. And two - they messed up ECU flash. They "think" it's because it had Ivan's map on it, but I kinda doubt that. Ether way, the ECU won't initialize. I'm picking ECU up tomorrow and will be shipping it to Ivan. He said he could re-flash it with stock map and send it back to me.. Anyway, what a mess.
Were you having water pump related issues before you brought it in?

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,435
If some oil is in radiator recovery tank then odds are oil gasket is leaking past the bearings into impeller cavity. Yamaha started selling a complete Gen III water pump assembly vs parts in 2013 $170.00 plus freight, tax and the dealer mark up.

Red pointed out all FJR water pumps will fit Gen I/II too and not have to use puller and press to over haul water pump. I am installing a low miles 2018 new O rings in my 2008. I would ask the dealer what the water pump was NOT doing??? Two bearings is in the impeller casting that mates in crankcase, are they making noise? From what I have read in the last two years this is rare for that new of a FJR water pump to fail.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Damn, I hate hearing these kind of experiences😝 I feel like you may be better off getting ivan to reflash his map, and ask the dealer not to reflash the ecu...if they’ll do that. Hope you can get it worked out with minimal further pain!

·
Premium Member
CBF1000 VFR800
8,084 Posts
Man, how do you mess up a simple thing like a water pump.... I don't understand "shut".
I believe the water pumps are all the same, just different engine paint colour, thus different part numbers.
If the ECU is working, see if they will skip the reflash......

Reactions: 2GENAE

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,439
Nope, never leaked or made a noise. Bike only got 15K on it. I'll ask them to show me that pump when I'm there tomorrow to pick up the ECU.
Ask if you can see your radiator over flow tank. Look in it for drops of oil. Mine had a very small amount of oil in the tank (cracked) replaced it and never would have noticed if I had not removed the side fairing and looked in it. My water pump was leaking a few drops on shop floor so started looking for the leak and found it from bottom cover bolt with copper washer. I drained radiator and oil cooler, no oil antifreeze clean so I caught it in time. Will flush system with distilled water warm engine and leak check new pump, drain refill and run again before new antifreeze .If your bike is on center stand drain oil before removing water pump. If pump is out turn impeller fins by hand it should not turn easily if the mechanical oil seal in housing is sealing correctly around impeller shaft.. Hope this helps, post up curious................. sounds like BS to me.

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Man, how do you mess up a simple thing like a water pump.... I don't understand "shut".
I ..................
I think he meant shot.

Nope, never leaked or made a noise. Bike only got 15K on it. I'll ask them to show me that pump when I'm there tomorrow to pick up the ECU.
I hope they're not charging you for one. I hate to be cynical but I'm starting to believe dealerships are going to try to bang FJR owners for anything they can get for having to do recall work. Probably takes them longer than Yamaha allows. Like wanting to charge for oil and coolant.

1421 - 1440 of 1456 Posts