FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1401 - 1420 of 1456 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm in BC, Canada and had my recall appointment made with my local dealer Action Motorcycles for Monday. But it turns out the recall parts aren't available in Canada until the end of April. Anyone else in Canada having trouble with dealers getting parts?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Mine took 3 weeks. Xmas and new yrs played into that.
(Hamilton)

Reactions: Bill Lumberg

·
Registered
72 Posts
Took my 2016 out for the first actual 70 mi ride since the recall. I was kind of looking forward to the recall as I was not happy with the way the bike shifted before. Very inconsistent and sometimes had to fiddle to get it to shift .Temp was all over the place from 150 to 190 on a 60deg day. I'll give it a few more rides to settle in before I do anything. Reservoir tank is full so not worried. I would assume since the engine was completely drained some air is in there.

·
Registered
2020 FJR 1300ES
48 Posts
Took my 2016 out for the first actual 70 mi ride since the recall. I was kind of looking forward to the recall as I was not happy with the way the bike shifted before. Very inconsistent and sometimes had to fiddle to get it to shift .Temp was all over the place from 150 to 190 on a 60deg day. I'll give it a few more rides to settle in before I do anything. Reservoir tank is full so not worried. I would assume since the engine was completely drained some air is in there.
If it's any consolation my '20 coolant temp is all over the place. 10-20* fluctuations. 50-68 degrees ambient temps outside. Started watching it after someone else here mentioned it. I moved coolant temp to screen 3 and ain't looking at it no more

·
Registered
154 Posts
My machine has been sitting at the dealer for 2 weeks now. Dealer finally returned my call and said parts are back ordered until April 16th. Thankfully my other bike is a Suzuki. I'm not happy thinking my FJR is just collecting dust sitting at the dealership for what looks like will be 2 months.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My machine has been sitting at the dealer for 2 weeks now. Dealer finally returned my call and said parts are back ordered until April 16th. Thankfully my other bike is a Suzuki. I'm not happy thinking my FJR is just collecting dust sitting at the dealership for what looks like will be 2 months.
My dealer ordered the parts a few months ago for my bike. My dealer made me aware of the back order. Parts received, dropped the bike off today. This is the 3rd FJR my dealer is repairing. Hoping they have it figured out. They will keep the bike up to 2 weeks for the repair.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
BAD NEWS on my post recall '17ES, it seems that my engine and tranny are failing, this afternoon I started the bike , all good, went for a ride and after about 100km the engine started producing a loud TICKING sound, kind of like the old clock :rolleyes: , so I pulled over, checked around the engine on both sides, and sure enough the TICKING was getting louder, checked the oil glass to see if there are any metal parts circulating in oil, but it looked OK, oil was clean:

so I decided to continue, since the engine was otherwise working OK, the temperature went up to 98deg C, but it started going down as soon as I picked up some speed. But the TICKING was still loud, kind of one tick every second. After another 50km or so the "check engine" light started flickering on display, so I pulled over right away, engine still running OK but the TICKING was still there, checked the oil glass again, and to my surprise, there was an "ERROR" displayed in the oil, ...must be some kind of crystals sticker reacting to oil temperature like those ones on fish tanks, never seen anything like that before, on any of my other bikes :unsure:

so I shut off the engine, let it cool down for about 20 minutes or so, started the engine after that and the ERROR message was gone, the TICKING was still there but not as loud as before, but now every time I shifted to 2, 3 and 4th gear it sounded like "RINGING,...kind of like old alarm clock with muted bells", 5 and 6th gears were Ok....... got home, checked everything around the bike including the oil glass and it looked OK,.... will call the dealer tomorrow and see what they say :(

·
Registered
177 Posts
BAD NEWS on my post recall '17ES, it seems that my engine and tranny are failing, this afternoon I started the bike , all good, went for a ride and after about 100km the engine started producing a loud TICKING sound, kind of like the old clock :rolleyes: , so I pulled over, checked around the engine on both sides, and sure enough the TICKING was getting louder, checked the oil glass to see if there are any metal parts circulating in oil, but it looked OK, oil was clean:

View attachment 77884

so I decided to continue, since the engine was otherwise working OK, the temperature went up to 98deg C, but it started going down as soon as I picked up some speed. But the TICKING was still loud, kind of one tick every second. After another 50km or so the "check engine" light started flickering on display, so I pulled over right away, engine still running OK but the TICKING was still there, checked the oil glass again, and to my surprise, there was an "ERROR" displayed in the oil, ...must be some kind of crystals sticker reacting to oil temperature like those ones on fish tanks, never seen anything like that before, on any of my other bikes :unsure:

View attachment 77885

so I shut off the engine, let it cool down for about 20 minutes or so, started the engine after that and the ERROR message was gone, the TICKING was still there but not as loud as before, but now every time I shifted to 2, 3 and 4th gear it sounded like "RINGING,...kind of like old alarm clock with muted bells", 5 and 6th gears were Ok....... got home, checked everything around the bike including the oil glass and it looked OK,.... will call the dealer tomorrow and see what they say :(

View attachment 77886
Hahaha Error message...um isn’t it April 1 now? Good one!😂 I do hope you’re joking about your bike ticking though.🍻

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Hahaha Error message...um isn’t it April 1 now? Good one!😂 I do hope you’re joking about your bike ticking though.🍻
this morning I started the bike, and it worked Ok (no ERROR messages), checked the oil glass and found the "problem"...phewww that was close :rolleyes: 🤪

What can I say, THIS FORUM is just too smart and can't be tricked ;) :ROFLMAO: stay sharp people, stay sharp (y)

·
Premium Member
235 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm in BC, Canada and had my recall appointment made with my local dealer Action Motorcycles for Monday. But it turns out the recall parts aren't available in Canada until the end of April. Anyone else in Canada having trouble with dealers getting parts?
I am also in BC, in February, when I contacted the dealership in Parksvill, where I bought it, they had the parts within 2 weeks. I had the transmission rebuilt 2 weeks ago. They did a great job, and so far, so good. It took me longer to get it done as I was waiting for some better weather.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Evening all...

I received my 2020 FJR back from the dealer and have a post-recall question. Forgive me as I'm still very new to FJRs; I only bought the bike in October of last year. I barely put on the requisite 600 break-in miles when winter arrived and shortly thereafter the recall notices. So, my experience with FJRs is limited but my riding background with other motorcycle brands extends 25+ years.

I'm noticing the following symptoms and need your guidance if this is normal Yamaha transmission behavior. Please note I'm not interested in getting into a safety discussion regarding public roads and traffic. I regularly approach stoplights by shifting down down through the gears as I decelerate so that I can take evasive action, if needed. The below behavior was observed on a private driveway far away from any vehicles.
  • I coasted into my driveway after a post-recall ride, clutch in, and stop in front of my garage in 3rd gear.
  • I'm unable to shift into 2nd gear, nor 1st gear. I push the shift level down and nothing happens with the transmission.
  • The gear indicator goes from 3rd to BLANK on the dash when I shift down. There is no "click" or "clunk" as the gears change.
  • I can shift up back to 3rd and the dash indicator shows "3".
  • The only way to rectify the situation is to back the bike up at least 8 inches with the clutch in and rev the motor a little bit. I can then successfully shift back down to 2nd gear and then 1st.
  • Testing this while stopping in 2nd gear produces a similar result. Unable to shift down into 1st unless I back up and rev the engine.
  • I haven't yet noticed shifting issues while riding the bike normally. Down shifting as long as the bike is moving seems to work fine.
Is this a quirk of Yamaha transmissions? I've ridden bikes of other makes and haven't observed this behavior before. I also don't remember experiencing this during my pre-recall 600 miles of riding last fall. I rode an MT-07 a few months ago and don't remember having trouble getting into first gear like this.

Or is it, as I fear, a symptom of further transmission difficulties? My Bronze dealer readily admitted this was the first one they'd done and the closest Gold dealer is 400 unfeasible miles away. Thanks for your remote diagnosis thoughts.

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR A Model
8,063 Posts
Evening all...

I received my 2020 FJR back from the dealer and have a post-recall question. Forgive me as I'm still very new to FJRs; I only bought the bike in October of last year. I barely put on the requisite 600 break-in miles when winter arrived and shortly thereafter the recall notices. So, my experience with FJRs is limited but my riding background with other motorcycle brands extends 25+ years.

I'm noticing the following symptoms and need your guidance if this is normal Yamaha transmission behavior. Please note I'm not interested in getting into a safety discussion regarding public roads and traffic. I regularly approach stoplights by shifting down down through the gears as I decelerate so that I can take evasive action, if needed. The below behavior was observed on a private driveway far away from any vehicles.
  • I coasted into my driveway after a post-recall ride, clutch in, and stop in front of my garage in 3rd gear.
  • I'm unable to shift into 2nd gear, nor 1st gear. I push the shift level down and nothing happens with the transmission.
  • The gear indicator goes from 3rd to BLANK on the dash when I shift down. There is no "click" or "clunk" as the gears change.
  • I can shift up back to 3rd and the dash indicator shows "3".
  • The only way to rectify the situation is to back the bike up at least 8 inches with the clutch in and rev the motor a little bit. I can then successfully shift back down to 2nd gear and then 1st.
  • Testing this while stopping in 2nd gear produces a similar result. Unable to shift down into 1st unless I back up and rev the engine.
  • I haven't yet noticed shifting issues while riding the bike normally. Down shifting as long as the bike is moving seems to work fine.
Is this a quirk of Yamaha transmissions? I've ridden bikes of other makes and haven't observed this behavior before. I also don't remember experiencing this during my pre-recall 600 miles of riding last fall. I rode an MT-07 a few months ago and don't remember having trouble getting into first gear like this.

Or is it, as I fear, a symptom of further transmission difficulties? My Bronze dealer readily admitted this was the first one they'd done and the closest Gold dealer is 400 unfeasible miles away. Thanks for your remote diagnosis thoughts.
What you are seeing is perfectly normal for this bike. Mine, bought new in 2008, does exactly the same thing. I've found that downshifting while decelerating to a stoplight I have to ease the clutch out just a little between downshifts. Multiple downshifts between clutch lever pulls is clunky at best but most of the time the bike simply won't do it.

·
Registered
2020 FJR 1300ES
48 Posts
I got caught at a stop light the other day. I downshift through all gears down into 1st when coming to a stop light or stop sign and remain in 1st with clutch in. The other day I clicked into neutral at a light to drop my left hand. Light turned green and I couldn't get her into 1st. Don't remember how I finally did but looked like a fool doing it lol. Never again

·
Premium Member
CBF1000 VFR800
8,084 Posts
Somewhat normal, it helps the downshift occurs while the bike is still moving even a little, so the gears line up. At a stop, if the clutch is dragging just a little, it may not go into gear.

Reactions: zscottsmith

·
Registered
232 Posts
Seasons first ride today with the fixed 16ES. Clear skyes and sunny 5˚C here in southern Finland. Snow patches still to be seen here and there. But the spring is moving forward and the riding season is about to start. For me at least. The bikes gearbox behaved as well/normal. The bike was repaired during the winter, so no test ride before it was returned to me. The first time I applied the rear brake, the pedal went really down. Couldn`t feel the brake at all. Couple of pumps and it came back. Good reminder to start slow and check that everything works, before entering warp speed. One hour ride and felt good.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Dropped mine off today. They joked w/me that they're getting pretty good at doing the recall. (Mine is the 8th FJR they've done so far, or so I'm told.) I informed them that wasn't confidence inspiring but asked if I could pick up the bike around noon. They chuckled, I chuckled and I guess I'll see her in about 3-4 days.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Dropped mine off today. They joked w/me that they're getting pretty good at doing the recall. (Mine is the 8th FJR they've done so far, or so I'm told.) I informed them that wasn't confidence inspiring but asked if I could pick up the bike around noon. They chuckled, I chuckled and I guess I'll see her in about 3-4 days.
I expect mine to be finished while I sit in their lobby and drink coffee. Hope they've got enough coffee... :D

·
Registered
340 Posts
Someone posted on the FJR facebook site that Yamaha has approved a new procedure to fix the trans issue, doesn't require the engine removal & cuts service time down to 2 days. My shop made no mention of that so I'm assuming the bike will still be out of my hands 3-5 days.
Lee

1401 - 1420 of 1456 Posts