FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1381 - 1400 of 1456 Posts

·
Premium Member
CBF1000 VFR800
8,084 Posts
Kelly's has done a few now, but it's spring and things are gonna get testy with schedules... Inglis is good too, shame you have to go all that way.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Kelly's has done a few now, but it's spring and things are gonna get testy with schedules... Inglis is good too, shame you have to go all that way.
With Kelly's, it was more of their attitude about charging for fluids. I relayed to them Yamaha's position that they were covered but Kelly's representative said (as he was eating while talking on the phone): "we don't get paid for them so we charge". Just doesn't sit right with me.

The local dealer hasn't done any of the recalls but they have a number on the list and they've selected one technician to do the work. Yamaha has told them that the tools will arrive by the end of March so they are looking at the first week of April and will block off the schedule of that technician. We'll see how it goes.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Exactly.. and I don't see why I should pay the cost of getting it to the dealer? 150 miles to the dealer, 150 miles to get back home, and the another 150 miles to go get it when ready...serious fuel costs because the wife will have to follow me to dealer! at 20mpg! :)

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
150 miles, that's not too bad.....I read somewhere that FJR owners from Africa have to ride their FJR's for 1000km, (in the dirt) to the authorized dealer and some got almost attacked by lions and hyenas when stopping for lunch :oops:

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
150 miles, that's not too bad.....I read somewhere that FJR owners from Africa have to ride their FJR's for 1000km, (in the dirt) to the authorized dealer and some got almost attacked by lions and hyenas when stopping for lunch :oops:
Ok that made me laugh.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am one of the guys who had a recall fail. Around 100 miles after getting the bike back it started making a ticking noise like a loose tappet. It started out very light and within another 100 miles started to get noticeably louder. Long story short I returned it to the dealer and they discovered that a small piece of yamabond pluged the oil passage going to the head. Everything below looked perfect. They are having to replace the entire head and cams. I guess the oil passage. Is very small. They said the piece of crap blocking the passage was about the size of the tip of a #2 pencil. It’s been two weeks now and I finally got an eta on the parts. The biggest problem they are having is locating new cams. They now estimate that all the parts should be in around April 9th. I have heard from others the Yamaha is aware of this potent problem and is putting out a service bulletin about it. Hope to have the bike back by mid April if I am lucky.

·
Registered
126 Posts
There will probably be more bikes fail after the work than from gear failure. Rather like with a car that gets a bump and has to be repaired, it is never the same again.
If it aint broke, don't fix it

·
Registered
49 Posts
Anyone know the temp the coolant fan kicks on for a 2016? My 16 seems to be running warmer than usual after 2nd gear recall was done recently. I never really watched the numbers thats closely but never saw it go over 200 in town on a cool day which it did today at 70 degrees. Fan never kicked on and at one point it got to 219 degrees. Back on the freeway home it went down to a more normal 158-160. Checked recovery tank this morning before staring it up and it was right at the full mark. Have I just not been paying close enough attention or are these in town numbers way too high.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Anyone know the temp the coolant fan kicks on for a 2016? My 16 seems to be running warmer than usual after 2nd gear recall was done recently. I never really watched the numbers thats closely but never saw it go over 200 in town on a cool day which it did today at 70 degrees. Fan never kicked on and at one point it got to 219 degrees. Back on the freeway home it went down to a more normal 158-160. Checked recovery tank this morning before staring it up and it was right at the full mark. Have I just not been paying close enough attention or are these in town numbers way too high.
on my '17 it kicks in at 105 deg C, and when on hwy it stays around 75 deg C, check here:

·
Premium Member
CBF1000 VFR800
8,084 Posts
The thermostat starts to open at ~71C/160F and is fully open at ~85C/185F. Yamaha doesn't say when the cooling fans kick on, but 105C is 220F. Seems reasonable to me.
To test, let the bike idle at home and make note. I believe with the Ivan flash, he lowered the fan kick-on temp to about 190F.
A 50-50 mix of coolant under pressure has a boiling point of 260F. The temperature display will indicate HOT around 230F.
After a coolant change it will take a couple of cycles to purge any air in the system. Check your coolant reservoir and top up to max. If erratic things are happening beyond normal, might want to check the rad is actually fully topped up.

·
Registered
2016 FJR1300 ES
255 Posts
My 2016 kicks in the cooling fans at 220 degF. The temperature then starts to drop and fans stop around 210 degF. Cycle repeats as long as my bike is stationary and idling. I checked coolant level after 200 mi and it was at the lower level, so I added coolant. I was pleasantly surprised that I could check coolant level and add coolant after just removing the LH vent panel. It basically took less than a minute to have access to the expansion tank.

·
Registered
34 Posts
On Saturday, I picked up my FJR with a new motor (minus FI, they used my old FI on the new motor). Drove home 15 miles and all was fine. Shifting was the same as pre-recall and neutral was easy to find. I have ridden a total of 100 miles and all is good. The new motor came from Yamaha Atlanta sooner than the dealer expected. It showed up Thursday without any notice to the dealer !!! CFPS installed the motor on Friday. I think they were in a hurry to get rid of me and put their expensive mistake behind them !! They are consistent though, they overfilled the oil and underfilled the coolant, again. The tech told me, oil starvation to the top end also starves the pistons of oil. I have the impression Yamaha has staged extra motors in Atlanta for problems like this. The Service Mgr told me these motors were assembled in Japan with new 2nd gears. I am awaiting some written documentation from him to prove i have a post-recall transmission and if a have a warranty..

·
Registered
2 Posts
After two weeks with my motorcycle at the dealer, I decided to take a ride over to see how things are coming along. The mechanic came out and told me I can pick up the motorcycle. The transmission kit is on backorder and they don't know when it will come in! My question is, has anyone else been told the kit is on backorder? Also, has anyone actually experienced the 2ed gear malfunction? Spring/summer is right around the corner. I'm thinking about putting off the recall till next fall. I only have 16,000 miles on the motorcycle... thoughts
I took my 2017 in on March 2nd and was told parts are available. Then 3 weeks go by and I called to check on it. They said parts are on back order with no ETA. I promptly returned to pick my bike up because it was sitting out on the maintenance lot in the rain for 3 weeks. Now I'm just waiting for the parts. This could go on for months. Who knows?

·
Premium Member
CBF1000 VFR800
8,084 Posts
Congrats rockman, glad they got you back up and running with a new engine...... if you check the service manual section 2 you can see where each area gets it's oil supply.

Reactions: rockman1950

·
Registered
145 Posts
Good to know Jmar. Maybe my dealership wasn't BSing me after all. I've been riding my 2016 with 16,000 miles on it. I'm not hammering on 2ed gear. Well, not to much. If the shop doesn't do the job in the next three weeks or so. I probably won't have it done till next fall.... I WANT ONE OF THEM NEW ENGINES!!🙂

·
Registered
340 Posts
My bike's parts are in, set up for Apr5 repair date. They expect to have the bike back to me before the weekend. They've done 5 FJR's already, w/2 more in front of me so their gold star mechanic ought to be well prepared for my bike.
Lee

·
Registered
300 Posts
Mine goes in for surgery on April 6. They say it's the third bike they will be doing this work on. Fingers crossed. While they are at it I also asked to replace spark plugs and perform swingarm service, which is almost due.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Around 221 on a 2018.

1381 - 1400 of 1456 Posts