FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1181 - 1200 of 1459 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
I am alway sceptical when inform of preventive measures, especially when there is clearly an effect on profit. I am pleased your experience did not end up with some serious injuries to you, which clearly could have happened.
The whole incident has planned a seed of worry and mechanical reliability in my mind, not to mention the reliability of the garage. I have found paint chips and scratches on the bike from the recall work which I am awaiting a call back. Not a happy Chappy.

I'm interested to know if anyone is aware of the rev limiter being different in S mode post recall or has it always been set at around 4k?

Rev limiter set at 4K in Sport mode? OH HELL NO. This ain't no Harley.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I guess Yamaha has intervened on the injection map, so the engine releases a little less torque in 2nd gear.
However, I still don't notice anything ... and I've surpassed 4K in 2nd gear ... and the bike keeps accelerating furiously
That's the FJ I fell in love with 7 months ago.

·
Premium Member
CBF1000 VFR800
8,096 Posts
Every cloud has a silver lining..... I say enjoy!!

Reactions: Phatdad

·
Registered
72 Posts
Just got mine back yesterday. Before the recall shifting was not very smooth and did not always want to go into gear up or down . Possibly the oil I was using ,who knows. But now it is much smoother and feels like it should. Only issue is I feel like the exhaust now has a drone to it that I noticed on the ride home . I would like to think it was not like that before but had not ridden it in months with winter here but I do not remember being so annoying. I have to wait for the weather to clear before I can take it out again .Hoping it's just a loose exhaust bracket .

·
Registered
340 Posts
3 weeks ago I contacted my local Yamaha dealer and as of yday, they're still waiting on the trans parts to come in, supposedly shipped about a week ago. They've done 5 FJR's so far; their best/top rated mechanic has been doing all the recall work so I feel a little better about it all.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So after your bike had the recall done it will only rev to 4K in Sport Mode before the limiter kicks in and stops from revving any further?
Sorry I wasn't very clear in my original post. The rev limiter only seems to operates while in S mode and in Neutral or when the clutch in. Whilst rolling it operates as normal. I was wondering if it was a new protective measure or may be it has always been like this and it is standard to all FJR's?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Sorry I wasn't very clear in my original post. The rev limiter only seems to operates while in S mode and in Neutral or when the clutch in. Whilst rolling it operates as normal. I was wondering if it was a new protective measure or may be it has always been like this and it is standard to all FJR's?
Surely you are not revving it to 4000 revs when stationary, that is not a good idea.
Many years ago my father thought it a good idea to be going along at 80mph and then as he aproached his destination just knock the gear lever into neutral and coast - the engine blew up !

·
Registered
184 Posts
Just got mine back yesterday. Before the recall shifting was not very smooth and did not always want to go into gear up or down . Possibly the oil I was using ,who knows. But now it is much smoother and feels like it should. Only issue is I feel like the exhaust now has a drone to it that I noticed on the ride home . I would like to think it was not like that before but had not ridden it in months with winter here but I do not remember being so annoying. I have to wait for the weather to clear before I can take it out again .Hoping it's just a loose exhaust bracket .
I feel fortunate as I asked Yamaha where the best place to take the bike to in my area would be and they recommended a dealer in Asheville, NC an hour from my home. I have a Powersports place a couple miles from my home and would only take it there if it was the only place on earth. The Asheville dealer/service center could not have been more professional. They put their best tech on just the recalls and my bike was the 4th one in practically back to back. They said the first one, like anything you do for the first time was a slow learning curve and they had to go back in to fix something clutch related they did not reassemble properly. Since there have been no issues. They did check the valves, replaced the plugs, and air filter for $180 which at first I was not too thrilled about as I do most of my own work but figured you have it all apart, just do it. It was practically, we are going to do this not do you want us to as if they wanted to make something on top of what they get from the recall. That also checked the bike over head to toe, brakes fluids etc. so I felt great getting it back like that for the upcoming riding season. Lastly I have the R Gazza Bars on the bike so they had to remove and reinstall them which is more labor they did not charge me for.

As stated in this post and I believe other posts I have read, the engine really does seem to be smoother. Shifts the same but less vibration in the bars. We all can be fooled by the placebo effect thinking somethings better when nothings improved but I took it for a hundred mile ride through the mountains and really ran it hard and I swear it seems tighter and smoother. The only thing that seemed odd was that when the bike was warming up there was a lot of water on both sides of the exhaust which never happens at home. I understand they remove the exhaust for this job and have read to make sure they put it back together properly. I will surely keep and eye on this and everything else going forward. All in all I went from being not happy at all about this to coming away feeling pretty good, I just hope it stays that way.

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR A Model
8,069 Posts
The only thing that seemed odd was that when the bike was warming up there was a lot of water on both sides of the exhaust which never happens at home. I understand they remove the exhaust for this job and have read to make sure they put it back together properly. I will surely keep and eye on this and everything else going forward. All in all I went from being not happy at all about this to coming away feeling pretty good, I just hope it stays that way.
I've noticed this happening in cooler weather until the exhaust system warms up some. Depending on ambient temp this may take longer than just engine warmup time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Both recalls are now done on my 2018ES. Dropped the bike off last Saturday afternoon and they called this morning and said it was done. 45 minute ride back home. Pushed it hard through the gears, cruised at highway speed and way above that. Ran as smooth as ever. Very happy with the work done on it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Just rode my FJ back home this afternoon. Shifts and runs fantastic. 7 months down with a broken second gear and now I can finally enjoy my bike. My wife and teenage Daughter will never throw a leg over the FJ again after everything I went through with it, that's kind of a bummer. The one and only time I went two up with my wife we had a blast and the following weekend the trans broke on me. Good luck guys and hopefully this is the end of this event with Yamaha.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Ya ha cubierto su parte de mala suerte.
A partir de ahora, seguro que disfrutarás de tu gran bicicleta.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I picked up my (11,4000 miles) 2018 FJR after a month and a half in the shop. To be honest the bike was there for the busted front ball bearing when the 2nd gear recall surface. The tranny recall was finished and they were still waiting for ball bearing parts from Japan. It was probably the first tranny recall at that particular dealer in Sanford, FL (SPS). I've only owned this bike for two months (bought it from a private seller in OCT.) when the fr. ball bearings departed the front wheel. After riding it for less than 25 miles after the tranny repair I can say it shifts a tad or two smoother, easy to find neutral from any direction and no issues with the front wheel bearings. All the fairing covers look exactly the same than when I left them at the shop Jan 13. No missing metal or pop-up fasteners, no cracks, no scratches, no blemishes anywhere. If I hadn't gotten an official invoice with all the work detail I couldn't had said that the bike was worked on (except for the smoother shifting). The tech on record for the tranny and brake switch is "tony serio". At least (if you live in Central Florida) you know he had already worked on mine and it seems to work perfectly. So far.
Off topic: I have twoo sets of shorty levers that I would like to trade for a new (or almost new) set of OEM Yamaha levers for the 2018 FJR. One set is one the bike and the other has never been installed ( STRADA gold colored adjustable shorty levers). Good luck.

Reactions: the Ferret

·
Registered
131 Posts
Now that this recall seems well underway and we are starting to get post-op reports... It seems to me that even though though the thought of having ones bike vivisected is stressful... The Yamaha techs/mechanics doing this job actually know what their doing. Aside from the inconvenience of it all, it's a minor hiccup with an otherwise solid machine.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I just called Kelly's cycle for my recall. They said they are booking 3 weeks ahead (no problem) but they said "we charge you for engine oil and coolant". WTF?

I also want my steering head bearings done at the same time and they quoted $300 labour.

I'm starting to re-think which dealer I want to take my bike to. Kelly's and Inglis are both 5 star yammy dealers. Inglis is 1.5 hour drive away. Two Wheel is closest to me but the service department doesn't answer the phone right now and any time I've called in the past its like 4-6 week booking lead time at 2x the going rate for service...

I don't have a warm fuzzy feeling.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I just called Kelly's cycle for my recall. They said they are booking 3 weeks ahead (no problem) but they said "we charge you for engine oil and coolant". WTF?

I also want my steering head bearings done at the same time and they quoted $300 labour.

I'm starting to re-think which dealer I want to take my bike to. Kelly's and Inglis are both 5 star yammy dealers. Inglis is 1.5 hour drive away. Two Wheel is closest to me but the service department doesn't answer the phone right now and any time I've called in the past its like 4-6 week booking lead time at 2x the going rate for service...

I don't have a warm fuzzy feeling.
Mike send a quick email to Yamaha Canada, they are very good in responding, send them the info of the dealer and ask them to clarify.
My dealer didn't charge me any $$ for recall work.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Print this page and show it to them. According to the factory recall, they get reimbursed for 5 qts oil and 3 qts of coolant

Reactions: passx and Damir
1181 - 1200 of 1459 Posts