Fjrowners.com banner

1161 - 1177 of 1177 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dropped my 2020 off at the dealer I bought it from in Northern Virginia on Feb. 13 in an ice storm on a trailer. They said they did not have kits on hand and would have to order. Doing one at a time. They will call me when they start work and call when it's done. Only 1,995 miles on it, showed no signs of wear or anything wrong. Doing the brake switch too. None of my local dealers wanted to take it - don't call us, we'll call you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Which Houston area dealer are you getting the repair done at? Did they order the parts without taking possession of your bike? I bought my '16ES at Mancuso on the SW Freeway--I delivered it to them on 2/2/21 and they ordered the parts (wouldn't do it without the bike in their shop). They had 1 ahead of me that should be done by now--I'll be calling them on Tuesday to see how it went and if they've started mine.
I think I'm the bike ahead of you at Mancuso. My 2020 was in there for 16k service on 1/19 when the recall was announced so they kept it.

I noticed they had an FJR on their floor and asked if they were going to do that one first and they said - No, I'm the first.
Still haven't gotten confirmation they got the kits in after a couple false positives. Spoke to them (again) on Friday (2/19) and SM told me they just are returning after Storm of the Century here in Texas. He was going to check if they got the parts in but I didn't hear from him (again). He says it will take two days. I'm hoping they will get started on Tues.
Mancuso does good work but their Service Managers suck when it comes to communication.

I'll keep you posted on mine so you know when they'll get to your's.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Got my bike back from Two Wheel in Guelph , On quick inspection everthing looks in order.
No charge other than total of 80 for pick up and delivery ..
Is that $80 each way? I was thinking of driving my bike down to Kelly's as soon as the roads are dry enough. Kelly's is listed as a 5 star dealer where 2wheel isn't.
80 return but I live in Guelph

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Owner of my local dealership just sent me a text with just this pic lol

·
Registered
33 Posts
My local dealer called yesterday to let me know the parts are in for my transmission and brake switch. He's got me on the schedule and will let me know when he's ready to do the work. Like many here I'm a bit frustrated to say the least to have my 2019 fjr torn apart to this degree but with no other choice it's got to be done. Hopefully the repairs will go as planned and no further issues arise. We'll see![/QUOTE

I feel your pain. Been dealing with this trans issue for over 7 months. I highly recommend the good read, Buddhism for Dummies.:grin2:

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Ok my appointment is scheduled for March 10th. The head mechanic blocked out 2 days for the repairs (transmission and brake light switch)

Think I should ask them to lube the rear suspension joints while they have it torn apart? Would it be convenient to do then?

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Think I should ask them to lube the rear suspension joints while they have it torn apart? Would it be convenient to do then?
Ferret, I think the dealer won't say no to extra $$, ...2Wheels Bryan's video is 45min and my guess is the complete service is more like 3-4hrs depending how skilled and detailed the person is.

If you go and talk to the service manager, (while holding a big box of doughnuts), they may even give you some good discount due to the fact that some of the labor is already paid by Yamaha 🧁🍩🧁🍩🧁🍩

·
Premium Member
7,741 Posts
The rear suspension is not being taken apart as part of the recall, so it likely will be an extra. However, the exhaust is off, so that is out of the way for removing the forward suspension link bolt. When they put it together, make sure you have them install the centerstand bolts the right way for easier service next time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Your dealership/garage suggested Yamaha may be doing this as a matter of prevention:roll:
It is a very real problem and Yamaha has been very lucky no one has been seriously injured or killed.
My 2nd gear ring fractured and two teeth broke off with less than 500 miles. My good friend and the man who is going to split my cases for the second time said I was very lucky the broken bits fell into the bottom of the case and did not churn their way back through the cassettes. That's when bad things could have happened. This was back in July of 2020 and I waited 4 months only to have my transmission fixed with the OEM parts that are now recalled parts. My bike is back in the shop for a second time. My cruise control stopped working as well, that was another head-scratcher as well because at that time there was no recall on the front brake switch. If you key up your bike and the rear brake light stays on, you have a bad switch. I will say that Corporate Yamaha has been very kind to me and I have been generously compensated, knowing I have one of their units I have not been able to enjoy for the last 7 months.
I am alway sceptical when inform of preventive measures, especially when there is clearly an effect on profit. I am pleased your experience did not end up with some serious injuries to you, which clearly could have happened.
The whole incident has planned a seed of worry and mechanical reliability in my mind, not to mention the reliability of the garage. I have found paint chips and scratches on the bike from the recall work which I am awaiting a call back. Not a happy Chappy.

I'm interested to know if anyone is aware of the rev limiter being different in S mode post recall or has it always been set at around 4k?

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I'm interested to know if anyone is aware of the rev limiter being different in S mode post recall or has it always been set at around 4k?
So after your bike had the recall done it will only rev to 4K in Sport Mode before the limiter kicks in and stops from revving any further?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I guess Yamaha has intervened on the injection map, so the engine releases a little less torque in 2nd gear.
However, I still don't notice anything ... and I've surpassed 4K in 2nd gear ... and the bike keeps accelerating furiously

·
Registered
44 Posts
Creo que esto está creando muchos prejuicios... y la bicicleta sigue funcionando bien como antes.
Para mí este recuerdo después de un mes es un recuerdo lejano
Sólo estoy esperando a que lleguen mis guardias de alforjas R-Gaza... que está siendo una aventura de la que hablaré más tarde.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Creo que esto está creando muchos prejuicios... y la bicicleta sigue funcionando bien como antes.
Para mí este recuerdo después de un mes es un recuerdo lejano
Sólo estoy esperando a que lleguen mis guardias de alforjas R-Gaza... que está siendo una aventura de la que hablaré más tarde.
aha "R-Gaza" got it :ROFLMAO: :D

·
Registered
60 Posts
Got mine back yesterday and went for out for a ride of about 50 miles. Feels good...so far.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Owner of my local dealership just sent me a text with just this pic lol

How long did it take to get parts? My dealer ordered parts a month ago-I checked today and they still haven’t come ????

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
How long did it take to get parts? My dealer ordered parts a month ago-I checked today and they still haven’t come ????
Took about 3 weeks I think. We got the recall notice first week of Feb and he ordered the parts. Mine goes in for the recall work to be done March 10th.

1161 - 1177 of 1177 Posts