41 - 60 of 1179 Posts

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Oh, I remember that ! Not good at all !

·
Registered
226 Posts
As mentioned in my last post in this thread, my VIN is affected by this recall. Called the dealer this morning and they have just (few days ago) got this information in from Yamaha, and they will replace the gearbox and the brake switch which is also a recall on my bike.

Only a few dealers in my country are approved by Yamaha to perform this job, my local dealer is one of them. They are also an approved workshop for BMW, and they have just done a similar recall job for the K1600. The owner is almost my neighbor, and I consider them to be well qualified for this job. They want the bike(s) now and do work this through the winter, so I guess I can pick it up some time early next year. They are only waiting for the parts to arrive.

I am glad this will be sorted out, even it most likely a failure never would occur, lack of trust is never a good felling. This has the potential for a fatal accident, and you will always think about it.

/rogerf

·
Registered
188 Posts
The K1600 was a relatively easy fix once the panelling was taken off as the gears are in a removable 'cassette' and the engine proper did not have to be dismantled.

Looks like the FJR is a much more complex job. It will be interesting to see the technical notes to be given to dealers on how to perform the operation.

·
Registered
226 Posts
... It will be interesting to see the technical notes to be given to dealers on how to perform the operation.
Why do you think the dealer or Yamaha will share that? This is a huge cost for Yamaha, they would not take this action only to let the dealers make thing worse by a poor job, which is the reason only a very few dealers are approved for this job. As my dealer also said, not any mechanic will be set to do this. I am not concerned about the job, but having a "ticking bomb" in my transmission concerns me or at least reduce "the good feeling".

/rogerf

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Wonder if yamaha is going to extend the warranty or put a warranty on these repairs ? Can’t imagine that they wouldn’t.

Years ago my father in law bought an Honda 88 Super Magna from his neighbor & gave it to me, his neighbor hadn’t ridden it in a while. When I got it home and started going over it I found that 2nd gear had been broken with much the same results as what DJRTx posted pics. Apparently this was a common problem but I’d never heard of it before. Honda never acknowledged it apparently. My f-in-law was really upset with his neighbor for selling him a broken bike which I ended up parting out.

I wonder what’s the issue with the fjr gear(s) whether it’s a machining or a metallurgical problem. Either way this IS a big deal for Yamaha to step up and do this ! I was involved in several recalls with my previous employer and it’s just amazing the way that people view potentially lethal problems in order to not spend the money or to protect their production/quality stats. I applaud Yamaha even though I’ve had my issues with them on some of the issues with my bike, they’re trying to do the right things here, gonna be a very expensive deal.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I doubt if any dealer in Ireland would have the setup/capability or interest in doing this job. However, there is an ex-Yamaha racing mechanic who is an expert in building Yamaha engines.

He would be the only option in this country imo. We plan to work on my bike (2020 with 2,500 kms) together when the parts and technical bulletin become available.

I don't expect to be letting any dealer mess about with my FJR.

·
Premium Member
7,742 Posts
I'd think the transmission gears can be a cassette of sorts, shouldn't be a tough job, just time consuming and a certain order to follow. There no doubt will be a detailed repair procedure the dealers will be given (and never know one of them might share).

Remember the basic FJR engine did not change with 2016, but they had to slightly mod the engine cases to put 6 gears where 5 used to be, and the new gears were not as heavy a design...... sux this had to happen though.

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
There's been a number of people here complain about 2nd gear problems on their new 6spd bikes since they've been making them, most are guy's that make 1 or 2 posts on their problem never to be heard from again. The usual response here is that they must have seriously abused the bike and broke it,,,, maybe there really is a problem ! Stay tuned ! Yamaha seems to have had a second gear problem for years on several of their bike models, ,,
Yeah, my '80 XS11SG Special had the 2nd gear problem...

·
Registered
240 Posts
I received an email from my dealer this afternoon. There are 2 recalls for my 2020 ES: the 2nd gear/transmission and the front brake light switch. Parts are not yet available but have been ordered.

For kicks I just checked my VIN on Yamaha Canada's website: no recalls for my bike. Apparently Yamaha contacts dealers before they update their website database.

Haynes

·
Registered
238 Posts
Will be interested to see how quickly the trans replacement parts will be made available to the dealers. If there is one silver lining in this for us northern folks it is that if the parts are quickly made available we have a prayer of getting the bikes fixed in time for the start of riding season in the spring. But first, I need the recall to be announced in the US....

·
Registered
238 Posts
By the way, when I enter my VIN in the NHTSA Recall website I get “An error has occurred with your request. Yamaha USA does not recognize your VIN. Please contact Yamaha...” Anyone else get this message?

·
Registered
240 Posts
If there is one silver lining in this for us northern folks it is that if the parts are quickly made available we have a prayer of getting the bikes fixed in time for the start of riding season in the spring.
My thoughts exactly, though I still have my Super Tenere so I will be riding by March 15, my usual start date.

Haynes

Reactions: Phatdad

·
Registered
318 Posts
My thoughts exactly, though I still have my Super Tenere so I will be riding by March 15, my usual start date.

Haynes
Maybe not. Your bike has a recall coming as well.
Front brake light switch that it shares with the FJR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
240 Posts

Haynes
Maybe not. Your bike has a recall coming as well.
Front brake light switch that it shares with the FJR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not according to the link provided by rbentnail at post #14 above: only 2014 and up Super T's are on the recall. Mine's a 2013 and does not have cruise control.

Haynes

Reactions: Chameleon and Myfjr

·
Registered
12 Posts
By the way, when I enter my VIN in the NHTSA Recall website I get "An error has occurred with your request. Yamaha USA does not recognize your VIN. Please contact Yamaha..." Anyone else get this message?
Yes, I checked yesterday and got the same message.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2019 FJR1300 second gear failure

It was to be The Last ride of the season in early November. Half way home pull out from a timmies and thought I miss shifted into second ...nope. Long story short I took it to the dealer and they diagnosed the tranny failed. I had to authorize tear down on my nickel before Yamaha would offer any " good will" they said. Took two weeks but they came back and offered to repair out of warranty for free.....now I know why ...

·
Premium Member
7,742 Posts
I have taken a snapshot of the current (US) parts listing for the 6 speed, hoping to catch a revision at some later date. It does appear the trans gears are not sold separately like they are for the 5 speed, so we do have cassettes of sorts for 2016-up. I'm sure NHTSA will be interested if you were to contact them.......

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
By the way, when I enter my VIN in the NHTSA Recall website I get "An error has occurred with your request. Yamaha USA does not recognize your VIN. Please contact Yamaha..." Anyone else get this message?
I get the same thing...

41 - 60 of 1179 Posts