Fjrowners.com banner

21 - 40 of 1205 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
I just found the list with the VIN ranges affected (attached) As I live in Norway, not sure about this German list, but I found my VIN was within the range on the second line, and I guess the VIN is uniqe world wide. Not sure if that means all bikes in that range are affected, or only could be, I will call my dealer monday morning.

/rogerf

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,772 Posts
There are ambidextrous motorcycles too. I have one. It seems to have no problem being on the left side of the center yellow line, even double yellow lines (occasionally), like when there's that RV up ahead and a long line of cars behind it, keeping you from enjoying those good curves in the road..... or a line of a certain cruiser crowd who rides too far below the speed limit.... or those times when the right half of the road is quite rough, ever notice many times it's smoother on the other side? And of course, I keep an eye to see if there's oncoming traffic....
That reminds me, lobby in your state to have a 'don't hold up traffic' rule like they have in OR and WA.... if you're holding up 5 cars you are required to pull over. Love that.

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
2nd gear!? I don't use it any way. I Ride mostly in 3rd and 4th, 1st gear to go from a stand still, right to third, third has a really good range. True, my bike won't be affected, but don't sweat this stuff. Quite probably, if you have a bike in the VIN range, you won't see a problem for the life of the bike. YMMV

·
Registered
242 Posts
Those countries all ride / drive on the right. Here in the UK we have left hand drive models as we ride / drive on the left. I have not heard anything from Yamaha so presumably the left hand drive models are OK.
Too funny!

Haynes

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Those countries all ride / drive on the right. Here in the UK we have left hand drive models as we ride / drive on the left. I have not heard anything from Yamaha so presumably the left hand drive models are OK.
TOO FUNNY Good one.

·
Premium Member
FJR1300 A, TMax 530 DX, Tracer GT900, XS850
189 Posts
Exactly the same here in Ireland as Rogerf in Norway - my vin (2860 4217) is in the second line of the transmission and ecu list. I will be doing it myself, wouldn't trust a dealer with this job.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Interesting that I don't remember coming across even a single report of a catastrophic transmission failure on any of the forums. On the other hand, Yamaha must have seen something that really scared them as most manufacturers are very reluctant to agree to such an expensive recall. Am very interested to get the details/specifics behind this. I shudder at the thought of having some dealer mechanic pull my motor and split the cases. Having done this myself on a previous bike, it is not technically difficult but it is a very involved process. I have no desire to do that again.
Here's my post from April 2017 when mine blew up.
https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/9-fjr-technical/127449-transmission-failure.html

Reactions: Chameleon

·
Registered
63 Posts
Reactions: Bill Lumberg

·
Registered
63 Posts
As you can see from the tread that followed my original April 2017 post, there was a lot of speculation that it was a rod, instead of a broken gear. That wasn't the assessment of the shop looking at the damage. They were quite certain it was a gear that broke and destroyed the transmission and bottom end.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
2nd gear!? I don't use it any way. I Ride mostly in 3rd and 4th, 1st gear to go from a stand still, right to third, third has a really good range. True, my bike won't be affected, but don't sweat this stuff. Quite probably, if you have a bike in the VIN range, you won't see a problem for the life of the bike. YMMV
Wondering though (if this were a problem for our bikes) if second gear locking up wouldn't lock up the whole transmission, and might it happen when you are going 80 in 6th, rather than 25 in second. Could be a heck of a ride lol.

·
Premium Member
7,772 Posts
Makes sense to me it was a gear, and I had forgotten about this incident. Thanks for reminding us...... and glad to see the outcome was in your favour.
I'd be very happy with a new engine, I've never heard of an FJR throwing a rod, that's why we have a rev limiter for one thing, but the FJR engine is well built.
Recalls are funny things from my auto experience... one can report the incident to NHTSA at least to get it on record.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Interesting that I don't remember coming across even a single report of a catastrophic transmission failure on any of the forums. On the other hand, Yamaha must have seen something that really scared them as most manufacturers are very reluctant to agree to such an expensive recall. Am very interested to get the details/specifics behind this. I shudder at the thought of having some dealer mechanic pull my motor and split the cases. Having done this myself on a previous bike, it is not technically difficult but it is a very involved process. I have no desire to do that again.
Here's my post from April 2017 when mine blew up.
https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/9-fjr-technical/127449-transmission-failure.html
Thanks for that link to your post. Very interesting read. Given that Yamaha had your motor shipped back to Japan you must have been one of the first to have experienced this problem. Good on that service department to identify this as a gear problem and convince Yamaha that they better take a look at it. Glad that this didn't cause you to get in an accident. Took Yamaha another 3 years after this incident to fess up and do a recall - I'll bet there was a lot of hand wringing behind closed doors at the corporate offices over this given the cost to fix it. I realize that there are a lot of 6 speed bikes out there with some fairly high mileage without incident including my own but this sounds like a real ticking time bomb. My concern meter is now pegged.

·
Premium Member
3,250 Posts
Exactly the same here in Ireland as Rogerf in Norway - my vin (2860 4217) is in the second line of the transmission and ecu list. I will be doing it myself, wouldn't trust a dealer with this job.
If MamaYama will give you the parts.

21 - 40 of 1205 Posts