Fjrowners.com banner

1 - 20 of 1216 Posts

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
Because they recalled 976 bikes? I wouldn’t think that’d have any effect on sales. No coffin to put nails into. I see more these days than I’ve ever seen before. When bought my first fjr, it was rare to randomly encounter another. Not so much any more.

·
Premium Member
7,779 Posts
Interesting.... those are the six speeds.... 976 is probably all they sold.
Keep an eye out for a US recall......

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Because they recalled 976 bikes? I wouldn't think that'd have any effect on sales. No coffin to put nails into. I see more these days than I've ever seen before. When bought my first fjr, it was rare to randomly encounter another. Not so much any more.
Bill I hope this re call does not hurt 2021 sales. If Yamaha re calls the 6 speeds in the USA..... sigh.

·
Registered
242 Posts
That's it: I quit! All Yamahas, especially FJRs, are crap.

I'm buying a Harley. No wait, I mean a Ducati. No no no , I meant a BMW.

Haynes

·
Registered
274 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Great....thats all I need, somebody to tear my motor apart because yamaha engineers screwed up with the 6 speed tranny. I have no idea whether I can trust the guy working on the bike as I have done all my work since day one. 2018 ES purchased in April 2019.

I also checked for recall on Yamaha Canada and no recall indicated for my VIN, maybe it has not been posted yet.

Maybe they should give us a new motor instead of risking taking the motor apart and all the problem that show up after they put it all together again.

Just me venting.......fingers crossed.

·
Registered
324 Posts
My buddy who bought a 2019 last year called the dealer and no recalls on his bike.

I saw somewhere a list of VIN numbers involved but can't remember where I saw it

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
There’s been a number of people here complain about 2nd gear problems on their new 6spd bikes since they’ve been making them, most are guy’s that make 1 or 2 posts on their problem never to be heard from again. The usual response here is that they must have seriously abused the bike and broke it,,,, maybe there really is a problem ! Stay tuned ! Yamaha seems to have had a second gear problem for years on several of their bike models, ,,

·
Premium Member
7,779 Posts
Any second gear problem you heard on the 5 speeds was worn gear dogs, whereas this 6 speed recall seems to be second gear breaking. The repair does involve taking the engine out and removing the lower parts of the engine case.... you are not affecting anything to do with the basic engine itself, just accessing the trannie gears. Yeah it will take a decent mechanic who knows what he is doing, but one can do this repair yourself if you just follow the instructions. I'm sure there will be a service bulletin instruction sheet to go along with it. I wouldn't worry too much....
If anyone does it, can we get maybe a pic of the difference between the original gear and the replacement??

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
Canada, Germany, and Holland only so far. It also addresses the auto-clutch models of 2020 (maybe other years) so, again, not a model imported into the US for a while now.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
I read the article posted at FJRForum.com (https://www.motorradonline.de/ratgeber/rueckruf-yamaha-fjr-1300-getriebe/) after letting Google translate it for me. :)

As I understand it, it seems that there was a change made to production models after they'd started shipping to Europe and Canada. So, maybe none of them got to the States. If it's legal I can attach a PDF version of the translated article.

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR A Model
7,900 Posts
The only thing I can add here:

Step back, take a breath and do the research.

All 3 USA forums seem to be aflame with rumors and speculation. READ THE RECALL!! The actual one. Contact Yamaha where you are and inquire. This may be one of those times where you may not want to take forum discussion as fact. Take the speculation and guesses as just that- they're not fact and exist out of owners' concern.

Recall translated from German website -> https://translate.google.com/transl...e/ratgeber/rueckruf-yamaha-fjr-1300-getriebe/

Canada site -> https://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Su...Systems&all=0&rn=2020571&cf=SearchResult&pg=0

FWIW there's also a Canada one for the front brake light switch -> https://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Su...Systems&all=0&rn=2020572&cf=SearchResult&pg=0

·
Registered
100 Posts
Canada, Germany, and Holland only so far. It also addresses the auto-clutch models of 2020 (maybe other years) so, again, not a model imported into the US for a while now.
Those countries all ride / drive on the right. Here in the UK we have left hand drive models as we ride / drive on the left. I have not heard anything from Yamaha so presumably the left hand drive models are OK.

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Those countries all ride / drive on the right. Here in the UK we have left hand drive models as we ride / drive on the left. I have not heard anything from Yamaha so presumably the left hand drive models are OK.
There are LHD motorcycles? I'd never heard of such a thing in modern motorcycles. What is the difference to a RHD motorcycle?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Interesting that I don’t remember coming across even a single report of a catastrophic transmission failure on any of the forums. On the other hand, Yamaha must have seen something that really scared them as most manufacturers are very reluctant to agree to such an expensive recall. Am very interested to get the details/specifics behind this. I shudder at the thought of having some dealer mechanic pull my motor and split the cases. Having done this myself on a previous bike, it is not technically difficult but it is a very involved process. I have no desire to do that again.

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Curious ... I just checked the Yamaha Canada website (https://www.yamaha-motor.ca/en/vehicle-status-2) ... input VIN and PCode ... and website said there were no recalls on my FJR. The site showed correct info about YES status and expiry date, so I'm inclined to believe it.
Glad your FJR is not included. One member posted maybe a production run of gears were faulty ( Germany etc) and this does not effect the USA.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Glad your FJR is not included. One member posted maybe a production run of gears were faulty ( Germany etc) and this does not effect the USA.[/QUOTE]

If the recall was for only one model year that might be plausible but given that it covers all 5 years of production I kinda doubt it unfortunately.

·
Premium Member
7,779 Posts
I will agree don't speculate.... as for it being the auto-clutch, remember Canada hasn't had it since they discontinued it in Gen2, same time as the US.... so, there is a little more to it, but until that comes out, don't sweat it. Maybe it was a certain range of gears, sounds plausible. Stay kool.

1 - 20 of 1216 Posts