FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
2014 FJR ES
1,561 Posts
As a note, I am 6' tall, the medium V-stream wasn't ideal, the taller one better but got really better when I tilted it back.. try it, I know you want to, then spin us a yarn about it, LOL.
When you say tipping it back, I assume that you put rubber spacers under the shield on the lower screws and that will increase the tip backward. I have both the mid and high V-stream, I'm 6'4" with Heli's and get alot of of wind noise at my helmet. I like the mid V-stream because it is a constant wind and more manageable. I do like the tall also, when all the way up the turbulence is low, but no cooling air. I'm trying to figure what benefit you get by tipping the shield back slightly. Thanks.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I'm a short man with long legs, ergo a perfect fit for this bike. I've dabbled in several windshields. Most of them are adequately tall to keep me from getting buffeted in clean air from air spilling over the top, even before reaching full extension. I've wound up with a Cal Sci to keep the wind away from my shoulders and a greater distance from the helmet sides (where my ears happen to be).

In combination with the Neotec 2 I now have, I really can't expect better wind deflection from my head and torso. Gusty crosswinds, for example, can defeat the efforts of the windscreen in this regard, but I've also found this particular helmet is excellent at shrugging off wind when it does get through. So I don't have the sideways-helmet or similar effects I've experienced with other helmets.

I do notice that wind gets through between the windshield(s) and the fairings to blow over the tops of my thighs. In cooler weather this is noticeable if I haven't dressed quite warm enough with respect to my legs.

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
9,596 Posts
When you say tipping it back, I assume that you put rubber spacers under the shield on the lower screws and that will increase the tip backward. I have both the mid and high V-stream, I'm 6'4" with Heli's and get alot of of wind noise at my helmet. I like the mid V-stream because it is a constant wind and more manageable. I do like the tall also, when all the way up the turbulence is low, but no cooling air. I'm trying to figure what benefit you get by tipping the shield back slightly. Thanks.
I liked the mid-size when it was down, the big one too, very clean air, lots of cooling shoulders up. But I raise it if I want mid body/arm cooling, that cuts down on helmet ventilation.... so happy medium needed (it ain't perfect).
On Gen3, remove the shield and then the bracket it attaches to, get 1/8" thick washers and put under the lower screws, actually two under the lower, one under the upper. You'll now need longer bolts for the lower hole. After you button that up, put windshield on as normal.
Gen3 design allows for under shield airflow but it's not enough. More air under will reduce turbulence around your shoulders/head as backpressure is reduced, works with any windshield. Again, not perfect, but now I can control position of the big shield better (for me) and it cut the floppiness right down. If I could flatten the curve a bit, that would be great. I have a spare to play with one day...

Reactions: FjrjrF

·
Premium Member
2014 FJR ES
1,561 Posts
I liked the mid-size when it was down, the big one too, very clean air, lots of cooling shoulders up. But I raise it if I want mid body/arm cooling, that cuts down on helmet ventilation.... so happy medium needed (it ain't perfect).
On Gen3, remove the shield and then the bracket it attaches to, get 1/8" thick washers and put under the lower screws, actually two under the lower, one under the upper. You'll now need longer bolts for the lower hole. After you button that up, put windshield on as normal.
Gen3 design allows for under shield airflow but it's not enough. More air under will reduce turbulence around your shoulders/head as backpressure is reduced, works with any windshield. Again, not perfect, but now I can control position of the big shield better (for me) and it cut the floppiness right down. If I could flatten the curve a bit, that would be great. I have a spare to play with one day...
Thanks for your write up, I'll give it a try, especially if it cuts down on the floppiness. No problem with the flop, just distracting, that's all. Thx

·
Registered
430 Posts
In the News today;

"the streets in SE Pennsylvania are littered with yarn, pedestrians are tripping and getting tangled in yarn, police are investigating....:grin2::grin2::grin2::grin2:"
Sigh... it appears the Phila. Inquirer has punted again. There's virtually no rigging done in the city except for the Gazela Primero at the maritime museum. They goofed on not only the town but the state! Mistaking PA for MD... :(
That should be "Annapolis - a drinking town with a sailing problem" (-- Numerous Annapolis T-shirts )

However my main source for the project is:

:razz:

Attachments

21 - 26 of 26 Posts