FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
9,776 Posts
If you have a Gen3 and have not shimmed the windshield bracket to tilt the shield back somewhat, you should give it a whirl. More air comes under the shield and can cure most of the buffeting... I run a V-Stream tall, shimmed and I am quite happy.

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
9,776 Posts
RB, your GL illustration is what's going on behind that fender scoop on the car. The V-stream illustration shows how it tends to come back inwards to your shoulders. Basically, you need airflow behind the windshield to stop that pushing on the back of your head and other such goings on. Gen3 revised the windshield/cowl to get some air behind, but it isn't quite enough...... spacers under the front and tilt it back... big improvement, less noise around the head, almost no flopping around like some have found.
Taking a guess that a Laminar Lip or MVario break up the airflow with air under it and over it, and the angle will vary the results.

I like the V-Stream, the tall one is the right size for me. If I were to change it slightly, I'd flatten out the top contour. I have an older one I may just try some heat gun treatment.....

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
9,776 Posts
As a note, I am 6' tall, the medium V-stream wasn't ideal, the taller one better but got really better when I tilted it back.. try it, I know you want to, then spin us a yarn about it, LOL.

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
9,776 Posts
When you say tipping it back, I assume that you put rubber spacers under the shield on the lower screws and that will increase the tip backward. I have both the mid and high V-stream, I'm 6'4" with Heli's and get alot of of wind noise at my helmet. I like the mid V-stream because it is a constant wind and more manageable. I do like the tall also, when all the way up the turbulence is low, but no cooling air. I'm trying to figure what benefit you get by tipping the shield back slightly. Thanks.
I liked the mid-size when it was down, the big one too, very clean air, lots of cooling shoulders up. But I raise it if I want mid body/arm cooling, that cuts down on helmet ventilation.... so happy medium needed (it ain't perfect).
On Gen3, remove the shield and then the bracket it attaches to, get 1/8" thick washers and put under the lower screws, actually two under the lower, one under the upper. You'll now need longer bolts for the lower hole. After you button that up, put windshield on as normal.
Gen3 design allows for under shield airflow but it's not enough. More air under will reduce turbulence around your shoulders/head as backpressure is reduced, works with any windshield. Again, not perfect, but now I can control position of the big shield better (for me) and it cut the floppiness right down. If I could flatten the curve a bit, that would be great. I have a spare to play with one day...

Reactions: FjrjrF
1 - 4 of 4 Posts