Fjrowners.com banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,742 Posts
Another option is to install FZ1 mirrors, OEM for 2004-5 I think. They fold. There are other knock-offs but they don't fold. The FZ1's give you a lot more vision to the rear.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Being about halfway through my ownership of this bike, I hate to chase ergonomics and farkles further than I already have. But I must admit, I saw little of my mirrors before, unless I tucked an elbow. That wasn't too bad. Now, with barkbusters, I don't even know why I have mirrors. If I were to start over, I'd go with the FZ1 mirrors.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
I have the fz1 mirror’s, Chinese knock-offs from eBay, they do fold but required some tension adjustments so that they would stay in place but still fold. Makes the bike look a little bug-ish but they do work, you can actually see behind you.

·
Premium Member
7,885 Posts
I've said it before: yoose guys must not commute every night like I do. Having my elbows blocking the headlights behind me are a blessing.

eta- just struck me! Here's another gripe that makes this bike suck moist azz cheese:

it lacks self-darkening mirrors! I had a '10 F150 that had self-darkening interior and driver's side exterior mirrors. If FoMoCo can do it, why can't the technogeeky advanced Japanese do it?

·
Registered
359 Posts
there are a couple on ebay that you would have to paint.... no idea how much cheaper that is than new, if you have time they do come up often. searching oem fjr1300 mirror sifts out the others quite a bit but depends how the seller listed

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Like Russ said the one advantage to the oe mirrors is that because of the short design they do block the headlights from behind, particularly great when you have some a-hole behind you on the cell phone with the brights on, but like said you have to lean out to see behind you. Also like Russ said i’ve never understood why someone hasn’t come up with auto darkening mirrors, just makes sense.

A plus for the fz1 mirrors is that they seem to help block some of the wind on your hands. Plus’s and minus’s as they say.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think I like the idea of going with the fz1 mirrors as long as I have to replace it anyways. Do you know what year on the fz1 will fit a 2014 FJR? Thanks

·
Premium Member
7,742 Posts
First gen FZ1 up to 2005.... need one myself
5LV-26280-00 Left
5LV-26290-00 Right

You can get non-folding ones made by EMGO, but I'd not recommend them.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Necro thread from the dead.....

bought a pair of 2001-05 FZ1 Yamaha factory mirrors off eBay, as I hate the fact that 1/3 of the factory mirrors view is of my elbows.

Spent the last 40 minutes searching the web......

shocked and dismayed there is not a youtube tutorial for replacing the mirrors (at least not that I could find) as this seems to be a pretty common mod.

Switched to just searching this forum, and found lots of mentions of the swap, but no step by step tutorials, preferably with pics for those of us not the most masterful mechanics lol.

anybody able to point me in the right direction?

·
Premium Member
7,885 Posts
Necro thread from the dead.....

bought a pair of 2001-05 FZ1 Yamaha factory mirrors off eBay, as I hate the fact that 1/3 of the factory mirrors view is of my elbows.

Spent the last 40 minutes searching the web......

shocked and dismayed there is not a youtube tutorial for replacing the mirrors (at least not that I could find) as this seems to be a pretty common mod.

Switched to just searching this forum, and found lots of mentions of the swap, but no step by step tutorials, preferably with pics for those of us not the most masterful mechanics lol.

anybody able to point me in the right direction?
You really don't need a turtorial. No, really. Getting to mirror mounting is very straightforward:

- get out your owners manual and remove the dash panels. That's the 4 black panels starting with the battery one, the glovebox one, then the right side vertical one right of the instruments and finally the left vertical one.

- If your owners manual is kinda of vague, look at the link in JohnC's signature -> https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/1285565-post12.html. Click an download. Then put it everywhere you might need it- computer, phone, tablet, dropbox, etc.

- they say the videos from TwoWheelObssesion on youtube are ok. I can't stand watching them and I don't agree with much of how he does stuff but if you turn off the sound you'll get the instruction you need. But don't follow him blindly, you'll be breaking stuff. Think about what you're doing.

- when you get the 4 panels off, look inside the faring where the mirrors attach. You'll see two nuts for each mirror. When you remove them the mirror will fall to the ground so catch it! Seriously- 2 nuts. That's it. Watch for a flat spacer, you might need it again.

- install stuff in reverse order.

YOU CAN DO EET! You can, really. Being able to remove dash panels in a needed skill for the side of the road. Some others not so much but doing this is an investment in yourself.

·
Registered
177 Posts
The link didn't work when I tried opening, tried even opening in a new window. Thanks to a member for this PDF about removing the panels. http://atrophy.lock.net/do/FJR2014PanelRemoval.pdf
Thnks Fjrjrf!

That PDF along with watching TwoWheeledObsessions headlight bulb vid was very helpful.

And I confirmed you do NOT need to remove the left and right plastic trim pieces. Two screws and a plastic push connector per side, plus the headlight adjustment knobs are all you need to take off to be able to remove the plastic panel surrounding the instrument cluster and expose the two bolts holding each mirror.

·
Registered
59 Posts
FJR Mirrors

there are a couple on ebay that you would have to paint.... no idea how much cheaper that is than new, if you have time they do come up often. searching oem fjr1300 mirror sifts out the others quite a bit but depends how the seller listed
When I search for mirrors on ebay, the best filtering element I have found is to specify "used". Nobody is selling used "non-oem" mirrors, there's no point when you consider how cheap knock-off mirrors are. I't makes for a much smaller list which is what I seek. Just a suggestion, Baz

·
Premium Member
7,885 Posts
And I confirmed you do NOT need to remove the left and right plastic trim pieces. Two screws and a plastic push connector per side, plus the headlight adjustment knobs are all you need to take off to be able to remove the plastic panel surrounding the instrument cluster and expose the two bolts holding each mirror.
I'm a little confused. Since I have a Gen2, I have to remove 4 panels to access the mirror mounts. Are you saying you only had to remove 2?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts